Did Newman blow the 4th and 3 to Thrash?

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Watching the replay.. Thrash goes in motion to the left Roy blitzes from the same side... Newman is standing over Thrash and looks like he wants to blitz but stays in "no mans land" for a split second then chases Thrash after it's too late. I'm wondering if this was a blown coverage. Any thoughts?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Either this was a mental error on Newman or someone was supposed to switch on to Thrash. As he goes across he tried to throw the O off by faking a run blitz. It seems odd that Newman would be involved in an inside blitz though -- you'd likely use Henry if you wanted to corner blitz or give run support in the middle. That tells me we were guessing run.

Honestly, I think the play was a good reaction by Brunell -- it looked like it was just Brunell improvising to Trash.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
It was a vacant hole left from Roy blitzing. Brunnel hit the hot WR.

Believe it or not, there is a downside to blitzing defensive backs.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
How many yards did Thrash pick up on that play? Wasn't it like 20 or so?

Yes.. like 20. This was right after Brunell ran for about 23 yards on 3 and 27

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I made a post called "the unsung play that unleashed all the madness," which addressed this very issue. He blew it.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
This is what kills me about fans and the "playing conservative" nonsense.

They want to blitz every play, as though there is never a downside, and when they get burned for the blitz its the closest player to the areas fault. Its never that the blitz was a stupid idea.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
It was a vacant hole left from Roy blitzing. Brunnel hit the hot WR.

Believe it or not, there is a downside to blitzing defensive backs.

You can't blitz if you are going to worry about getting burned. I still want to know why Newman faked like he was blitzing when he got to the center - was someone else supposed to take Thrash? Did he not know Roy was coming on a blitz. That play just wasn't right.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
You're right. You do have to live with the repurucssions of blitzing, and this was one of them.

You only have so many defenders to cover so many receivers and areas of the field. Roy blitzing left vacated the left flat. Every time Roy, or any defensive back, blitzes ... it leaves a hole. Not only does another defensive back have to hold up his end in coverage, but make up for Roy's.

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
If I remember right, the Skins ran that play TWICE in the game and worked BOTH times for a pretty good gain.

Reaction score
Inman:
Do you remember the play?

Newman didn't do anything after following the motion man... then jogged after him like he had a major brain fart...

Roy did his job, but Newman didn't do his...

It wasn't the fault of the blitz call at all...
Not sure where your coming from with the "some fans" thing?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Newman was solely responsible for Thrash on that play and he RELEASED HIM for no good reason.