Did not know this about McCray

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
First of all, I didn't notice he did not play against Miami in the final preseason game.

But, according to the team's Star Magazine, he was held out of the game like the starters because special teams coach Joe DeCamillis said they did not want to risk him getting hurt.

I guess that tells us his spot as a special-teammer was secure, but does it also indicate that he was no longer in the hunt for a role on defense? Because if he had been, I would think they would have played him.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
According to the NFL gamebook, McCray played on defense and made a tackle in the second quarter.

gimmesix

Reaction score
AdamJT13;3541837 said:
According to the NFL gamebook, McCray played on defense and made a tackle in the second quarter.

I'm guessing that's wrong, since DeCamillis confirmed that he was held out.

Bluefin

Reaction score
gimmesix;3541825 said:
I guess that tells us his spot as a special-teammer was secure, but does it also indicate that he was no longer in the hunt for a role on defense? Because if he had been, I would think they would have played him.

Danny McCray is a project at safety and unlikely to play deep this season, IMO.

But he might end up getting some looks as an underneath cover man in place of a linebacker in the dime at some point this year.

Still, I'll be perfectly happy if McCray does nothing other than showing up on special teams all season.

It's something we need.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
McCray made the tackle on Davone Bess on Miami's 2nd drive of the 2nd quarter.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Hostile;3541884 said:
McCray made the tackle on Davone Bess on Miami's 2nd drive of the 2nd quarter.

Do you remember that specifically, or is that the number they credited with the tackle? If he did, someone needs to tell DeCamillis. ;)

gimmesix

Reaction score
Bluefin;3541878 said:
But he might end up getting some looks as an underneath cover man in place of a linebacker in the dime at some point this year.

I'm not sure he's being considered for this anymore, because he didn't exactly shine when given the chance to play in coverage with the starters. Of course, he's still a learning pup on defense.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
gimmesix;3541905 said:
Do you remember that specifically, or is that the number they credited with the tackle? If he did, someone needs to tell DeCamillis. ;)
When the Saints game is over I will watch the 2nd quarter of the game again.

Bluefin

Reaction score
gimmesix;3541912 said:
I'm not sure he's being considered for this anymore, because he didn't exactly shine when given the chance to play in coverage with the starters. Of course, he's still a learning pup on defense.

And the coaches obviously feel Danny McCray can contribute as an underneath cover man, so it wouldn't surprise me if they continue practicing him as a dime 'backer during the season.

That could lead to eventually giving him the green light during a game.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I hope McCray becomes the player the coaching staff hoped Stephen Hodge was going to be. A special teams demon to replace Keith Davis.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3541939 said:
I hope McCray becomes the player the coaching staff hoped Stephen Hodge was going to be. A special teams demon to replace Keith Davis.

I'm still holding out hope Stephen Hodge will get back on the field.

I don't want any player's career to end without getting a chance to make a roster due to injury.