Did not see what I hoped to see

punchnjudy

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4350288 said:
He was with the team under Parcells and Campo as well. Magic...I swear I did not see him here during that time.

The problems with this team go way beyond who the head coach is.

Romo has been propping up a mediocre and dysfunctional front office ever since he started playing here. Even if they get credit for finding him, they get D's for the coaching and personnel they've surrounded him with. Playoff appearances in 3 out of six years with one playoff victory and being blown out three times in do or die situations....pathetic. It's even more pathetic when you consider how cheap he was to acquire and keep. Didn't even use up a draft pick.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Double Trouble;4350368 said:
You mean the one that went 5-3 with Kitna but only managed 8-8 with Romo?

Do you really think the Garrett lovers are going to be swayed by facts?

Zman5

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;4350210 said:
If you have to ask, then you really can't see the obvious. We are much better than the 1-7 team he took over last year.

Much better? I disagree.

Last year JG's offense was as bad as the defense during the 1-7 stretch. JG was big part of the problem.

I don't see how this team is "much better" then last year. They are still making dumb mistakes they made last year. The OLine still suck. The defense still blows.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
It's high time we come to accept that the majority of the problems with this team falls on the players.

Yeah, I'm not 100% sold on JG either, especially as a play caller.

The players and the GM, those are the problems.

RS12

Reaction score
This team isnt close to turning the corner.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RS12;4350453 said:
This team isnt close to turning the corner.

I hope they are close to getting rid of a Corner. :D

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If you have to ask, then you really can't see the obvious. We are much better than the 1-7 team he took over last year.
Don't look now, but we lost 4 of our last 5, went 2 - 4 in a division that doesn't have a team over .500, and only beat 1 team with a winning record

Other than Tony, this team has regressed.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Gaede;4350232 said:
Lack of talent is one thing. Lack of passion is another.

We can point out the holes no problem, but the real reason we continue to lose game such as tonights is because we lack a competitive quality. we've got no balls,

This :signmast:

This team has no heart. It has no balls. It has no passion. It has no pride. It has no nasty. It has some pretty bad players, especially Costa, Free (at least at LT), Spencer, Ball, Tnew, Koiser, Brooking, Coleman. It has some bad coaching including Campo, Houck, Ryan and Garrett. and Finally it has a bad GM.

This team has many deficiencies and is a disgrace to Cowboys football.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Future;4350505 said:
Don't look now, but we lost 4 of our last 5, went 2 - 4 in a division that doesn't have a team over .500, and only beat 1 team with a winning record

Other than Tony, this team has regressed.

That just can't be. I heard it here from all these knowledgable experts:) that Garrett is a human computer. "Cowboy Way" And don't you just get all smiles when Garrett has a presser? Have you ever seen a coach handle the media that way? Process. Stack wins.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Getting blown out for another month of December about says it all. That is a tough one for a fan to square with on an emotional basis.

Burma, I think it stands on lack of merit for a whole list of players such as Anthony Spencer on the outside. There was the left on a clothesline hanging by clothespin for Newman (left hanging out to dry). Then there was Jay Ratliff who I frequently being double teams but merely standing in place and mildly hopping up and down, if that. He didn't even challenge either of the two blockers. He was supposed to be an All Pro this season, and got handled by a replacement center.

Just supporting burma's comment here. But the real tale for fans here, is that this isn't the time to just tossing insults around. There are definitely changes coming. Frustrations about the conduct of the defensive secondary, I hope doesn't translate setting the interior line offensively, on a strong ground this off season. That should dominate all priorities. If this offense could have forced issues on that side of the ball, for more than a single quarter, this game could have actually gone a different route.

The Cowboys will only have enough firepower this nest draft, to fix one positional group. If one is realistic...and for the record, I hope that is solely given to the offensive line's interior.

Tony Sporano could help on the offensive side as well. There already is a relationship between Sporano and Garrett. That would probably help. I just don't see Turner returning at this point in his career, to Dallas. But Norv and Sporano would both help out.

On the defensive side, Rob Ryan has to take a dramatic step forward next season in his present directions....or stop putting his secondary on frequent islands and getting burned. He either cuts back to a bend and don't break, or adds dominant pieces in the off season to make his sytem work. Work in December, it did not do this year.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This team deserves every bit of criticism that they will continue to get (excluding Romo). We had a chance to change the public opinion of us in primetime, and we delivered exactly what most wanted to see.

I really am not as angry as I thought I would be tonight. Guess I was expecting just this, or maybe its the holidays, or I am getting old :)

Newman, wow, one play tonight was a microcosm of his entire career. If anyone who has good youtube skills, please post the play in the 2nd qtr with apprx. 4:12 left. As the Giants guy is running, I see Newman running sideways (nothing unusual there) and with a chance to put a nice hit on him, I see him turn his head and look up-field for someone else to make the initial hit. I mean, that right there showed his lack of passion for the game, or what winning is anyways.

It is clear we need an complete overhaul on BOTH lines along with the secondary. I really like Tyron but we really needed a Patrick also, not sure which was needed more in the last draft. Ware can't do it by himself on defense. Being a Mets fan, I compare Ware to David Wright. Both are great players, but neither is the player for the team to lean on. Both would be great, HoF caliber players with that one other huge impact person along side of them.

I think our offense will be fine if we get better protection up front, and someone give Miles some stick-em before next season please.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I don't think so. I think we're actually worse.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4350457 said:
I hope they are close to getting rid of a Corner. :D

If Newman is still on the roster next year, it will prove the absolute ignorance of this organization. Not that there's much doubt right now.

Reaction score
Woods;4350195 said:
There's no "hiding" our OL and Secondary.

We ALL know we need better players, esp at those positions.

Quite a few posters going into this season thought we'd be around 8-8 or 9-7. It's not really a surprise given the glaring OL woes on this team.

Maybe the mild surprise was how quickly Newman faded this season. He seems like a shell of his former self - and he's repeatedly being targeted by the opponents now. Felt bad for the guy to be embarrassed like that. Anyway, it's his last season with the Cowboys. It's obvious he's done as a number 1 or number 2 CB, imo.

Even though everybody was hopeful, many of us knew what was probable, that once again the OL and secondary would fold. It's shocking that these two areas generate such crazy homer arguments. Yes, Newman sucked a AGAIN this year as did the OL... If Jerry holds true to form he will add ONE new quality lineman even though we need a minimum of two... That and Newman will be back for yet another season.

Woods

Reaction score
Star4Ever;4350616 said:
If Newman is still on the roster next year, it will prove the absolute ignorance of this organization. Not that there's much doubt right now.

There is NO WAY he will be back on the roster at his salary. It has to be obvious to even JJ that Newman is done.

Woods

Reaction score
EGG;4350618 said:
Even though everybody was hopeful, many of us knew what was probable, that once again the OL and secondary would fold. It's shocking that these two areas generate such crazy homer arguments. Yes, Newman sucked a AGAIN this year as did the OL... If Jerry holds true to form he will add ONE new quality lineman even though we need a minimum of two... That and Newman will be back for yet another season.

Sorry, I refuse to believe that Newman is coming back again next season.

He's a shell of his former self, imo. And at his salary, the Cowboys should be able to replace him with a better veteran CB/draft pick. Personally, I'd go the veteran route.

Reaction score
Woods;4350631 said:
Sorry, I refuse to believe that Newman is coming back again next season.

He's a shell of his former self, imo. And at his salary, the Cowboys should be able to replace him with a better veteran CB/draft pick. Personally, I'd go the veteran route.

I've said the same thing two years running and he keeps coming back, I'll believe it when I see it. Same goes with the OL.

morasp

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4350288 said:
He was with the team under Parcells and Campo as well. Magic...I swear I did not see him here during that time.

The problems with this team go way beyond who the head coach is.

:hammer:

If Jim Harbaugh had come to the Cowboys instead of the Niners I don't think he would have had nearly as much success.

Cristoff

Reaction score
The weakness on this team is the lines on both sides of the ball, which manifests itself in all other areas on offense and defense. You could have had Deion, Darrell Green, and Darrelle Revis back there and it wouldn't have mattered. There was little to no pressure on Eli and it only came from the outside. All he had to do was step up in the pocket to avoid pressure. The level of effort from the two Cowboys with the longest tenure on defense, Newman and James, was absolutely pitiful. I don't think it's a coincidence that they are the common denominator on a defense that consistently folds in key situations. That and of course the owner that, since Matt Millen was canned, has to be considered the worst GM in all of football. Vince Lombardi couldn't have coached that team to a victory tonight nor did they deserve to win.

I keep holding out hope that Jones will see the light and make the changes necessary to build a winning franchise. He need look no further than across the parking lot at what the Rangers have done. They hired smart people that put together a plan and stuck with it. They made mistakes along the way but they stuck with their philosophy and it paid off big. Unfortunately, as long as he is the GM, I don't see that ever happening.