Did NYG Defensive Pressure make us nervous?

dwmyers

Reaction score
These are just some points.

1. Why make Barber the starter and change how you play Barber when you've been so successful bringing him out for the second half and beating people senseless with him? Why change now? Why change a successful formula?

2. One of the problems with long running drives is that they score slowly. When you score slowly you must score.

3. Why run when you've been such a successful passing team?

4. I just wonder if they looked at Giants film, saw a team whose defensive front was getting better, growing healthier, and becoming better at Filthy Iggles style blitzes and decided they wanted to play middle 1990s power football.

And it would have worked to perfection if we hadn't given up that fast touchdown to the Giants at the end of the half. It does beg the question of whether power football is smart when your defense is good, not great, and your game is predicated on scoring.

5. There was so much nervous play. How many false starts did we have? One each on our offensive tackles seems normal but there seemed to be more than that.

6. Flo was a lot less effective than his first two games with the Giants. I wonder what Osi's "Dr Z score" was today.

7. We ran on the Giants for 2.5 quarters but at the end the Giants defensive line was winning the battles. They seemed fresher. And I don't know if they were fresher or just pulling out a little more heart and emotion at the end of it.

8. Someone really needs to break down film of Dallas's last three losses. I don't recall significant inside pressure until those games. And all three had in common pressure defenses. Did we suddenly get worse at pass blocking? Did they suddenly get better? It's not like people didn't try to blitz in the first half of the season. What changed?

David.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
1. Because Jones had already stated he didn't want to remain a Cowboy.
2. But when you run the ball you control the clock and wear down the opponent's defense.
3. I think they wanted to do both, just didn't work out so well.

dwmyers

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1902341 said:
1. Because Jones had already stated he didn't want to remain a Cowboy.

I think you're missing the point. What Julius wants at the end of the season has nothing to do with a game time strategy. Consider how Barber is normally used. You have an athlete conditioned to pour it on, leave it all on the field for about 15-20 carries. He's not been run 30 times a game all year.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
dwmyers;1902349 said:
I think you're missing the point. What Julius wants at the end of the season has nothing to do with a game time strategy. Consider how Barber is normally used. You have an athlete conditioned to pour it on, leave it all on the field for about 15-20 carries. He's not been run 30 times a game all year.

I think you are too. Why play a guy that doesn't want to play for you. Wouldn't you consider that a liability ?

And isn't Barber the bruiser, Isn't he the one with heart, Who leaves it all on the field ? Gimme that guy, and I am going to get him the ball as much as possible.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I think Garrett gets too caught up in hitting teams over the top. Where were the draws, screens and quick slants? Was TO not able to cut very well? If not why not get Hurd in the game some more to run a few slants?

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1902354 said:
I think you are too. Why play a guy that doesn't want to play for you. Wouldn't you consider that a liability ?

And isn't Barber the bruiser, Isn't he the one with heart, Who leaves it all on the field ? Gimme that guy, and I am going to get him the ball as much as possible.

If Julius wants to go somewhere else next year, he wants to show what he's got on the field. He's not going to pout on the sidelines and refuse to play. He just wants to be a feature back somewhere, and I think he could be successful in the right situation.

Barber is a mean runner but as soon as I saw he was starting it left me concerned that he wouldn't be fresh after taking the majority of the carries for the entirety of the game.

Not to say that he wasn't awesome when he was in, but I think we should save him until we've worn their defense down a bit, like we have all year.

Can't wrap my head around why we would change something that's worked so well all season.

canters

Reaction score
The giants did what the eagles did, and some teams late last year. They played their defense to frustrate Romo's game by taking away the big play. the safeties played deep and the LBs took care of the middle of the field. They held their rush lanes and contained Romo in the pocket, where he is the least effective, IMO. WE NEVER HAVE ADJUSTED THE OFFENSE TO THIS STYLE OF DEFENSE IN THE LAST 16 MOS. I am no offensive coordinator, but there has got to be something we can do to score against this style of defense other than run MB3 in a coservative gameplan.