Did PFF just jinx TFred?

robbieruff

Reaction score
Probably. Hard to keep a streak like that going. Crazy.

And to think, most lamented the pick on draft day. I loved it.

While the hype for our oline doesn't always "center" on TFred, he has had such an incredible positive impact on the overall line's performance since day one of his pro career. He has dramatically exceeded even my most optimistic expectations (I was never down on the draft pick just never thought we were arguably getting the best center in football at the time).

Great play at the center position is like good health...you don't truly appreciate it until it's gone!?! Remember those days post stepnoski??! Sure we had a good short term replacement in Donaldson but the trainwreck that followed with the likes of Clay Shiver, Al Joshson all the way to that dip**** Phila Costa. Incredible how that string of scrubs is now mostly forgotten.

It would be an interesting analysis to see the correlation between good/great center play (I.e., as reflected in pro bowl/all pro accolades) and teams' won/lost records and even playoff appearances and championships. My gut tells me you'd see a very strong correlation there across NFL history.

As for the jinx possibility - I will start worrying if he gets on Madden cover but not yet. Lol.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
While the hype for our oline doesn't always "center" on TFred, he has had such an incredible positive impact on the overall line's performance since day one of his pro career. He has dramatically exceeded even my most optimistic expectations (I was never down on the draft pick just never thought we were arguably getting the best center in football at the time).

Great play at the center position is like good health...you don't truly appreciate it until it's gone!?! Remember those days post stepnoski??! Sure we had a good short term replacement in Donaldson but the trainwreck that followed with the likes of Clay Shiver, Al Joshson all the way to that dip**** Phila Costa. Incredible how that string of scrubs is now mostly forgotten.

It would be an interesting analysis to see the correlation between good/great center play (I.e., as reflected in pro bowl/all pro accolades) and teams' won/lost records and even playoff appearances and championships. My gut tells me you'd see a very strong correlation there across NFL history.

As for the jinx possibility - I will start worrying if he gets on Madden cover but not yet. Lol.

Yep. It was the introduction of Frederick when we went from bad to good, and the introduction of Martin when we went from good to great.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Don't think this would be the week this streak ends.

Baker and Reyes are banged up. Cullen Jenkins maybe playing straight from the couch this sunday.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score

Gurode was good while Parcells was here. Other than that ... ugh. I remember watching Shiver, Johnson, and Costa getting pushed and bumped backwards on every play. It's a crime it took so long to find an answer.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Considering the draft value of the spot but he was selected it was one of the best draft picks in the last 20 years for our team. And to think 90% of this boardand to think 95% of cowboys fans didn't even want him

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
What's amazing is just how much of a late bloomer he was. He was never viewed as the same caliber of player in college as Kevin Zeitler, John Moffit or Peter Konz in college and was really the after thought, often filling in for these guys, but he's by far the best pro player.

Manster68

Reaction score
Dallas' best centers are in no particular order: Dave Manders, John Fitzgerald, Tom Rafferty, Mark Stepnoski, Andre Gurode, and now Travis Frederick. All but Fitzgerald made Pro Bowls. Care to list these six in your order of best to least best?

I would have liked to have added Ray Donaldson and Robert Shaw to that list, but their time in Dallas was cut way too short due to injuries.

Manster68

Reaction score
Gurode was good while Parcells was here. Other than that ... ugh. I remember watching Shiver, Johnson, and Costa getting pushed and bumped backwards on every play. It's a crime it took so long to find an answer.

Gurode made 5 Pro Bowls for Parcells and Wade Phillips.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yeah we got GRILLED by national pundits saying he was a 3rd round pick. Just a reminder that when you like someone, you draft that person, regardless of draft rank (within reason)

Mike Mayock hated the pick. Kiper *I think* was a bit rough on us, but more or less was like he was a good player who filled a need.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I really liked the pick at the time. I had watched most of Wisky's games for a few seasons and thought he was a solid pick. I was surprised by the pick, it didn't seem Jerry-like to pick a center in the 1st rd, just not flashy enough from what we had come to expect. I knew Fredbeard would be a solid starter, but was a little surprised how good and how fast he came along.

I still remember the goalline play where Randle get stuffed by a couple Commanders and FredBeard just comes from behind and shoves all all 3 into the endzone. That play confirmed that FredBeard is a bad, bad man.

http://i221.***BLOCKED***/albums/dd249/Roadtrip635/fredbeard1_zps521880fb.jpg

robbieruff

Reaction score
Oh yeah...forgot about Andre...and yes, he was solid here during his time, becoming one of the better centers in the league after Parcells stopped trying to make him a guard...lol.