Did Romo go back to his old style?

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to talk about the game w/ a friend of mine. He's an old wiley guy and huge Cowboys fan. He said "you see how they scored? Romo was being Romo, not Tom Brady out there." So I watched the nfl.com highlights and I think he's right:

Romo's first big TD to Owens: drops back, has to move up in the pocket, throw while moving. BIG pass connects.

Second big pass to Owens...stays in the pocket but isn't just flat footed, he's hopping a bit.

TD pass to Bennett...again, in the pocket, but got the bounce in him, not standing flat footed.

Next huge pass to Owens. Again, moving up into the pocket (moving/throwing at the same time)

TD Pass to Crayton...hopping around, throws an odd pass (very Favre-like)

Ok so it may be nothing, but on those passes, Tony Romo looked like Tony Romo; not Tony Romo trying to be Tom Brady. I liked what I saw on those passes.

Think he's ditching the stand-and-scan style or was it just a result of the pressure?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Yes, I said 2 weeks ago when he came back that he looked more like the old Romo. He said he figured something out while he was injured. I think he watched the film and decided he was a much better QB last year than he was this year trying to emulate Brady. I think he decided to be himself and play the way that got him that huge contract.

DEZBRYANT x88x

Caps8Cowboys41
Reaction score
zeroburrito;2444873 said:
seems the oline is getting worse so he is forced to move around.

that might be sort of true but i think romo got his SWAGGER back..

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I agree, he wasnt doing his standing tall on my tippy toes impression of Brady. Romo looked like his old self and no INTS or fumbles. Broke that INT streak i believe.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;2444888 said:
I agree, he wasnt doing his standing tall on my tippy toes impression of Brady. Romo looked like his old self and no INTS or fumbles. Broke that INT streak i believe.
actually he did throw a pick on that Tashard Choice busted play but it was ruled a fumble.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys22;2444874 said:
Yes, I said 2 weeks ago when he came back that he looked more like the old Romo. He said he figured something out while he was injured. I think he watched the film and decided he was a much better QB last year than he was this year trying to emulate Brady. I think he decided to be himself and play the way that got him that huge contract.

:hammer:

that's what I was hoping he figured out the moment I read him say that

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
zeroburrito;2444873 said:
seems the oline is getting worse so he is forced to move around.
That's the way I saw it.

But when he did get good protection and stayed in the pocket he still looked like the old Romo.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
EPL0c0;2444851 said:
I finally got a chance to talk about the game w/ a friend of mine. He's an old wiley guy and huge Cowboys fan.

so you're good friends with Cbz40?:D

SlwSVT

Reaction score
Romo is an unstoppable quarter back when he moves around in the pocket. I would like to see more movement and more 7 step drops as opposed to the shorter drops. Even if the line cant hold to long, with a 7 step drop it will allow Romo to move around and emprovise.

Eddie

Reaction score
romoakatruebeast;2444878 said:
that might be sort of true but i think romo got his SWAGGER back..

Didn't Dwayne Goodrich make the same proclaimation on Hard Knocks???

Hoofbite

Reaction score
He didn't throw an INT this game which is the 1st game that he hasn't done so this season.

I know the stat sheet says he didn't toss one in AZ but he did, Crayton saved his *** big time.

So whatever self that was, that's the self I want to see.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;2444888 said:

yeah he did, he had an 11 game streak with at least one turnover, that ended because I think they said Choice fumbled, not Romo.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2445029 said:
He didn't throw an INT this game which is the 1st game that he hasn't done so this season.

I know the stat sheet says he didn't toss one in AZ but he did, Crayton saved his *** big time.

So whatever self that was, that's the self I want to see.

either he threw one or he didn't in Arizona, doesn't matter if Crayton saved him or not

Everson24

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2445035 said:
either he threw one or he didn't in Arizona, doesn't matter if Crayton saved him or not

Romo must read CowboysZone. We've been trying to get him back to normal all season. I just hope he plays his best game ever next week at Pittsburgh.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
This is a great observation and great thread by the OP. Yes, I noticed the same thing. He's gone back to what worked for him last year. I remember seeing in game snippets of him trying to be Brady, and it made me cringe a bit. Romo was the least of our problems last year, so why would we change something that works?

I don't think the oline protection, or lack thereof, has anything to do with it. Even when the protection was good, he didn't try to emulate Brady.

Kudos to Romo for going back to what he's most comfortable with.