Did the Cowboys waste a play?

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
On the last TD to Owens last week did the Cowboys give a play away?

Owens started on the right side of the formation and when the ball was snapped ran to the left behind the line. He came wide open for the TD.

I have never seen this ran before and it surprised the Texans. Now that they have ran it defenses will be looking for it and the Texans game was already won.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bungarian;1106682 said:

Owens started on the right side of the formation and when the ball was snapped ran to the left behind the line. He came wide open for the TD.

I have never seen this ran before and it surprised the Texans. Now that they have ran it defenses will be looking for it and the Texans game was already won.
It's never a waste if it works...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bungarian;1106682 said:

Chances are there are other options on that play. So even if the D reacts to TO on that play it should create other oppertunities

superpunk

Reaction score
I thought so at the time. I saw it run, and I just thought, "Well....that was completely unnecessary."

I thought it was a stupid time to do that, because it's a very nice play. But honestly, if you execute that play correctly, it can be almost unstoppable, if the D is manning up, because the receiver has all that momentum to the outside. Plus, you can't sell out covering the motion guy, or the middle will be open for the rush. It will probably be used to set up some runs, though.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Bungarian;1106682 said:

We ran this play against the giants in Dallas last year. Witten caught the only touchdown of the game, if you have the game on tape or want to watch the play go to www.cowboysvids.com myself and tek both have posted this play from last year.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
something successful that other Ds now have to defend.... hardly a "waste" (even though i wonder if it really was a planned play).

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I absolutely agree with the idea this was not the time to show that play.

We had the game in hand and essentially gave up something on film that could have turned the tides in a contest far more important.

Last seconds against Indy or Carolina and we are on their goal line. They have stuffed us three times, and we are now going to need something almost fool-proof to win the game.

Think they will review this on film and at least discuss this as we call our last time out?

I thought that was poor coaching to pull that out at the most meaningless time of the schedule.

But there are some Romo fans who sleep better because of it.

Stautner

Reaction score
It's stretching it to make an issue out of using that play. It's not a play we use often, but it's also not a novelty play. Using that play when we did is not going to impact our season.

Besides, Parcells may have felt that it was important to give Romo a little taste of success, and felt that play would help do that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Stautner;1106749 said:
It's stretching it to make an issue out of using that play. It's not a play we use often, but it's also not a novelty play. Using that play when we did is not going to impact our season.

Besides, Parcells may have felt that it was important to give Romo a little taste of success, and felt that play would help do that.

I agree. BP wanted Romo to have some success and we ran a play that helped achive that. I also think there are several other option that you can run off that play so if defense wants to react to TO then fine there should be other openings to take advantage of

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, there's two sides to the coin. Yes, we showed the play but perhaps it was a "set up". It's one more play for defensive coordinators to work on in practice. There are also likely variations of the same formation.

Marktui

Reaction score
But think about it this way, if they use the same formation, it gives them something to think about now. The extra defender won't be as quick to commit to stoping the run. Now there are different variations they can use to score for that play.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just gives other teams DC's something to think about.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;1106690 said:
Chances are there are other options on that play. So even if the D reacts to TO on that play it should create other oppertunities

Right, it gives other teams something to think about, and how they cover it. and it was a normal look as if it was run. Next time, they could send 2 out on TO and the play is then run up the middle, or out to the opposite side. Still looks to be a tough play to defend.

Ohio State had an end around Saturday up by 30 some points, and Ginn threw a TD pass. Unneceassary, maybe, but it gives opponents DC's some thought, will he pass or run it. I think it was to show Michigan something to beware of.

I remember about 10 years ago or so. Commanders - Giants game. Giants kept going left every plays for about 15 plays, then BOOM (ala Madden) dump off to the left and it went for a major gain, over 50 yards I believe., or maybe it was the Commanders doing it to the Ginats. Too long and too many beers ago.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I just think Parcells is trying to breed a level of trust right now between Bledsoe and Owens, so I think in that respect it was a good call. The quicker these two get on the same page the better off we'll be. I think if TO had been here a couple years and there had already been a comfort level with him then the wasted play point would have more validity. But I understand where you are coming from.

Stautner

Reaction score
Screw The Hall;1106996 said:
I just think Parcells is trying to breed a level of trust right now between Bledsoe and Owens, so I think in that respect it was a good call. The quicker these two get on the same page the better off we'll be. I think if TO had been here a couple years and there had already been a comfort level with him then the wasted play point would have more validity. But I understand where you are coming from.

Bledsoe didn't throw the pass .........

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
TwoDeep3;1106730 said:
I thought that was poor coaching to pull that out at the most meaningless time of the schedule.

But there are some Romo fans who sleep better because of it.
Poor coaching would be not caring to see Romo in a goal-to-go situation in a game that counted.

Parcells is probably sleeping better because of it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1106690 said:

B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his NAME-O!

The more plays a team has to study the more opportunities for deception.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Stautner;1107108 said:
Bledsoe didn't throw the pass .........

Yes well if you want to go and ruin my entire philosophy by confusing me with the facts then just go ahead and be that way. Let me try again ... he was trying to give Romo something positive to build on ... how am I doing so far?