Did the Eagles pull a fast one?

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
This question was asked on another forum by HRF12:

During Monday night's game with the Eagles, Donavan McNabb played the quarterback position most of the game. Backup quarterback Koy Detmer held for field goals and extra points. Mike McMahon came into the game in the 4th quarter to play quarterback for the last series of the game. How can this be? Please correct me if I am wrong, but the only way the third string quarterback can enter the game is if the first two are injured. Detmer was shown on camera preparing to come into the game. What is the deal? Did the Eagles pull a fast one?

Comments?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
This question was asked on another forum by HRF12:

During Monday night's game with the Eagles, Donavan McNabb played the quarterback position most of the game. Backup quarterback Koy Detmer held for field goals and extra points. Mike McMahon came into the game in the 4th quarter to play quarterback for the last series of the game. How can this be? Please correct me if I am wrong, but the only way the third string quarterback can enter the game is if the first two are injured. Detmer was shown on camera preparing to come into the game. What is the deal? Did the Eagles pull a fast one?

Comments?
Once the 4th quarter starts any of the 3 QBs can play.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
No -- 4th quarter your 3rd guy can play regardless. The rule is in place to allow for teams to get developmental guys some snaps.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
This was answered in a column the other day. It might have been Mick's mail. I don't remember. Anyway the answer is that the rules were changed a couple of years ago to allow you to play the 3rd QB in the 4th quarter without forfeiting the right to bring your other QBs back in. It was changed to allow teams to give developmental players some playing time in blow-out games. I've never seen a team do that though.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
abersonc said:
No -- 4th quarter your 3rd guy can play regardless. The rule is in place to allow for teams to get developmental guys some snaps.

Has this ruled changed this year. It use to be once you play your emergency QB, the other QB's cannot return to the game.

However, MCcMahon may have not been inactive as the 3rd QB, but just active anyway.
Just because your the 3rd QB does not mean your inactive.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
LeonDixson said:
This was answered in a column the other day. It might have been Mick's mail. I don't remember. Anyway the answer is that the rules were changed a couple of years ago to allow you to play the 3rd QB in the 4th quarter without forfeiting the right to bring your other QBs back in. It was changed to allow teams to give developmental players some playing time in blow-out games. I've never seen a team do that though.

sure was. mick explains it in his mailbag this week.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jazzcat22 said:
Has this ruled changed this year. It use to be once you play your emergency QB, the other QB's cannot return to the game.

However, MCcMahon may have not been inactive as the 3rd QB, but just active anyway.
Just because your the 3rd QB does not mean your inactive.

no -- i think it has been this way for about 5 years now.

Grevus

Reaction score
I live in Philly. For whatever reason, although Detmer is the #2 QB and has more experience, McMahon is always considered the guy that would replace McNabb if he gets hurt.

THe team feels that McMahon is a better QB then Detmer. Strange...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
You just made this rule up didn't you... you abrasive bastid!
Actually the night of the game I came home from the sports bar and asked this question and got shown the rule myself.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
does it really matter?

coy detmer, mike mcmahon...they might as well play charlie batch

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Grevus said:
I live in Philly. For whatever reason, although Detmer is the #2 QB and has more experience, McMahon is always considered the guy that would replace McNabb if he gets hurt.

THe team feels that McMahon is a better QB then Detmer. Strange...

not really, Detmer is the holder so he has to be active