Did the Lions choke?

Plankton

Reaction score
They didn't go out and win the game when they had the chance - 3 points in the second half, and punting on 4th and 1.

The Cowboys, on the other hand, did. Two 4th down conversions and three turnovers created.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Streaming the web today...hearing all kinds of interesting comments.

But the one that really caught my attention the most was the one where people think Detroit got rattled after the big "NO Interference Flag debacle" and choked.

-The punters 10 yard shank afterwards.

-Detroit coaching staff choked not going for it on 4th and 1

-Stafford's 2 fumbles in the last 2 minutes

-Defense can't hold on 4th and 6

-Defense folds in final 2 minutes...gives up lead.

I guess having some time to digest it all......it sure looks like they did.

Comments?:)

No. We took their best shots(s)!
Laid on ropes took some hard body blows.
Got knocked down twice.

Then...

Romo and DLaw delivered knockout punch! 1-2 baby!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's funny because in the first half it looked like we were doing everything possible to give the game away to the lions...in the second half the worm turned and it looked like they did everything they could to give the game away.

I will also add this...no matter how things turned out, someone (QBs individually or the team) was going to be labeled as chokers or choking in the playoffs again because of the the terrible playoff record both teams have had the last decade.

Two teams with terrible playoff records this decade and one had to win and break that cycle and the other would lose and perpetuate the cycle.

Is what it is.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Everyone is so focused on the call. But I believe that if Romo/the Boys had lost the game in the same way that more of the focus would be on the Cowboys lack of recent playoff success and Romo not being able to get it done.

And the Lions/Stafford have been hyped up by the Media and come up short over and over again but the Media doesn't call out the Lions. They don't bash and question Stafford the way that they do Romo.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Absolutely yes.

3 points in the second half? Blowing a thirteen point second half lead? A wuss punt on 4th and 1? A turdburger from Stafford with the game on the line?

If this was Dallas, the media would crucify us. But nah, lets talk about a penalty flag instead.

Liked because of the word 'turdburger'.

Iago33

Reaction score
When you give away a game and make boneheaded decisions plays in the clutch, its a choke

The only bone headed decisions are ones that don't work. If they work they are smart decisions.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that was Romo.....I don't see how Romo ever QBs this team again.

His cap number, Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones and family would say otherwise. He would still be the starter no matter if he lost again or not...even if he had the same stats as Stafford.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Stafford had 2:30 to go down the field and score a TD. But he fumbles instead. Pretty sure Romo would be hearing it from the media if he did that.

Thats the headline the media wanted but didn't get .

They also forget that Detroit has " come back" on us in the past with little time left and secured a W...

It's hard for them to give us credit when due, as it messes up their more desired story.

Reaction score
Dallas' defense settled in against a Detroit offense that really hasn't been that good this year,,,
Detroit's defense backed off all the blitzes after Romo made them pay with the long TD pass to Williams,,,

Choked? Maybe, in that the Detroit coaches decided to be conservative with their defense,,, or maybe they made the right call because Romo was poised to make them pay for the blitzes?

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Choking is a stupid concept that doesn't factor in the fact that two teams are competing.

Yep, and the media and moronic football fans eat it up. Especially if the Cowboys pulled the loss that Detroit did yesterday. Romo would be "as usual" Public Enemy #1.. More than he already is with everyone.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Not sure what the fascination with the word choke has been lately. Seems every time a team loses, they choked these days. To me, a team that chokes is up huge in a game and falls apart and loses. Being up 14 early and losing is not a choke in my book. In today's NFL, 14 points is not a large lead.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Yes.

Imagine if Romo fumbled, miraculously got the ball back because of one of the dumbest decisions a defender has ever made, then fumbled AGAIN. My God it would be apocalyptic.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of it though if Dallas loses and Romo is anything but perfect next week.

Romo was pummeled. Didn't lose the ball ONCE.

Go watch film, Stafford. Take notes.

Eddie

Reaction score
Lions did not choke. They played a good game.

We were gamer.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yep. 2 games left with the inside track on HFA, lose both those games, then in the wildcard to a sub .500 team.

That is funny. They were forced to use their 4th QB of the season for those games. That isn't choking. That is being in a bad position. I doubt any franchise would fair better if they were in the same situation.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
They got beat by the better team.

Their offense has struggled all season long, so scoring 14 points early wasn't likely for them to keep up that pace. They couldn't find Megatron.

AT&T Stadium was humid and between that and some adjustments they were not getting as much pressure on Romo and he started to make some better throws.

They also lost a starting O-Lineman and the offense wasn't moving the ball as efficiently.

YR