Did the Refs Rob the Commanders of a Gutsy Road Win?

You guys, man, lol. If he started the process of the catch inbounds on the sideline and spills into out of bounds, he has to complete the catch out of bounds. And, as posted, the ball can move so long as he's controlling it which he appeared to do.
Controlling it would be having your hands on it, not it rolling to your wrist. Thats not control. Then the factor of the tip of the ball contacting the ground which made the ball move/roll into his wrist anyway. That is clear that the ball touched the ground in your own video you posted in post #79. That touch caused the ball to move into the cuffed position after he rolled.
 
That's what I'm saying. It's irrelevant, whether right or wrong, we won the game. Many are saying they were robbed and we should have lost, that's who I responded too. I don't recall responding to one of your posts.
I usually don't read the OPs questions, just go by the title. That was the title when I responded.
I posted a statement about how the rule really reads in response to some incorrect statements from other posters. You responded (post 185), saying that once it had been reviewed no one should question it. See below.
I know you and Walmart would rather lose and see a consistently officiated game, but arguing against a call after it's been reviewed, is what makes it inconsistent.
Setting aside all other questions, I ask you, was the play ruled correctly in accordance with the actual NFL rules per the video evidence available?

Perhaps I'm wrong but I've watched it a number of times and believe the player possesed the ball firmly while knee was down in bounds and even though the ball moved slightly as his upper body hit the ground he never lost control of the ball. If you believe it was an incompletion, let me know which aspect you see differently.
 
It was not firmly in his hands…it literally shifted. Knee was down for sure…but has to have clear control all the way through. I don’t think he did…we can disagree.

Not the reason they lost the game though.
I certainly couldn't give a firm answer on it's impact on the game outcome but I do think it's very logical that a score there changes both sides comfort levels & decisions going forward.
 
Controlling it would be having your hands on it, not it rolling to your wrist. Thats not control. Then the factor of the tip of the ball contacting the ground which made the ball move/roll into his wrist anyway. That is clear that the ball touched the ground in your own video you posted in post #79. That touch caused the ball to move into the cuffed position after he rolled.
Of course the ball touched the ground. The rules say it can. What you can't do is lose control of the ball. Even Dez' catch would have stood if he didn't have the ball leave his hands. That ball moved even more than here but he had his hand on the ball in some capacity up until it came out of his possession. This guy did not let it out of his possession.
 
I know what a catch is. After explaining it to you all over the years, you know what a catch is. Apparently, this ref crew (and replay crew) don’t know what a catch is. Was the fix in here? This play changed the whole complexion of the game. Dak, who was looking pretty shaky, seemed to settle in once he knew the game was in the bag (wink, wink). I mean, congrats to him on the All-Time Cowboys TD record but will he be able to sleep tonight knowing how he got it? Probably. He has a Sleep Number bed afterall.

Here’s the video. Look at the assuredness of the Commanders fan here, only to be disappointed moments later and watch his innocence go down the drain along with the Commanders' chances. I’m sure he doesn’t believe in anything anymore after this highway robbery.


I don't know, maybe you should ask Romo and Bryant!
 
I posted a statement about how the rule really reads in response to some incorrect statements from other posters. You responded (post 185), saying that once it had been reviewed no one should question it. See below.

Setting aside all other questions, I ask you, was the play ruled correctly in accordance with the actual NFL rules per the video evidence available?

Perhaps I'm wrong but I've watched it a number of times and believe the player possesed the ball firmly while knee was down in bounds and even though the ball moved slightly as his upper body hit the ground he never lost control of the ball. If you believe it was an incompletion, let me know which aspect you see differently.
Didn't mean for you to go back and look for the post, I would have taken your word. As for the call, the ball was loose as.he was hitting the ground or hit the ground. I won't go back and see it, but i remember agreeing with the call when it was made. Whether I did or didn't, it wouldn't matter anyway. So, like I've said all along, done deal.....I'm trying to move on, just keep getting reeled back in. Lol....it ok, just finished my 4 mile walk, now I'm moving on to my sauna for half hour before going to get some steroids injections on my knees. So, see ya....have a good day.
 
I don't have to justify it, and you have no idea what I have done and continue to do to help my former.players and staff. So jealous fools like you make me laugh. Apparently, you took the time to see my past avatars and read some.of my posts, where I used my experience to make a point. I appreciate you taking the time. But, there is no need to be jealous or bothered by someone you don't know, unless you have some self esteem issues. It's OK to love yourself, even if no one else does. You'll be alright. You wanna throw stones at me, go ahead....I've had much better people than you do it. It doesn't bother me. Remember it's a different time, no one is gonna judge you. I hope you find peace
Lol, self esteem? Coming from the guy who endlessly talks about himself and post pictures of himself? Talking about being hypocritical, you say I don’t know you, which I admitted but you claim to know me by saying “much better people than you”? What exactly makes those people better than me since you know me so well?
 
Never apologize or feel bad about getting help from the refs, whether it's intentional or unintentional! But maybe Jerry can send these refs a signed Deuce Vaughn jersey T-shirt
 
Of course the ball touched the ground. The rules say it can. What you can't do is lose control of the ball. Even Dez' catch would have stood if he didn't have the ball leave his hands. That ball moved even more than here but he had his hand on the ball in some capacity up until it came out of his possession. This guy did not let it out of his possession.
NO, the ball cannot move out of your hand because it came in contact with the ground and still be ruled a catch. This ball moved from his hand to cuff it in his wrist because it hit the ground - incomplete all day every day. The ball can touch the ground if you are in complete control of it.

This is nothing like the Dez catch anyway, you trying to make them one in the same from your first post is disengenuous. Dez caught it with two hands, moved it to one hand cuffing it and dove towards the goal line. This play is nothing like it. If Dez never makes the football move to reach for the goaline he easily never lets the ball touch the ground and bounce up. Dez football move caused the ball to dislodge!
 
Actually I retired from coaching, still own a real estate investment company. Kinda slow right now, waiting to see what interest rates do and how the market adjusts. Always looking for a good flip, let me know if things slow down and you're looking for a fair, cash offer. Im my own inspector and banker. We can close in under a week. Depends on your mortgage company. Maybe I should use my business card as my avatar!!! Lol
I know you retired from coaching, we all know, you remind us on a daily basis. Eh, people keep bugging me to buy the property behind my house but there’s no way I’d sell. I enjoy the small amount of trees and privacy it provides rather than having some builder put a huge two story house that looks down in my back yard and probably has noisy *** neighbors with a dog that never shuts up but I’ll keep you in mind if I ever do sell which probably won’t be for another 8-10 years when I can retire and move.
 
NO, the ball cannot move out of your hand because it came in contact with the ground and still be ruled a catch. This ball moved from his hand to cuff it in his wrist because it hit the ground - incomplete all day every day. The ball can touch the ground if you are in complete control of it.

This is nothing like the Dez catch anyway, you trying to make them one in the same from your first post is disengenuous. Dez caught it with two hands, moved it to one hand cuffing it and dove towards the goal line. This play is nothing like it. If Dez never makes the football move to reach for the goaline he easily never lets the ball touch the ground and bounce up. Dez football move caused the ball to dislodge!
Bro, the entire introduction of the rule that a ball can touch the ground and still be a catch was based on a Tampa Bay/Rams play many years ago where the ball touched the ground but the receiver controlled it. If you don't remember that, I'm not sure what we're doing here.
 
I know what a catch is. After explaining it to you all over the years, you know what a catch is. Apparently, this ref crew (and replay crew) don’t know what a catch is. Was the fix in here? This play changed the whole complexion of the game. Dak, who was looking pretty shaky, seemed to settle in once he knew the game was in the bag (wink, wink). I mean, congrats to him on the All-Time Cowboys TD record but will he be able to sleep tonight knowing how he got it? Probably. He has a Sleep Number bed afterall.

Here’s the video. Look at the assuredness of the Commanders fan here, only to be disappointed moments later and watch his innocence go down the drain along with the Commanders' chances. I’m sure he doesn’t believe in anything anymore after this highway robbery.


I agree with most of the other voices here…..they lost a TD, but that wasn’t the game. They were not winning even with that TD. It does suck that the replay crew is incompetent and cannot see what everyone else can see…I’d be mad too if I were a Commanders fan….but every fan base gets punched in the mouth every game over bad calls, so you learn to get used to it. By the way, I don’t blame the ref on the field for the call….that was a tough play to call from his vantage point.

K
 
Soemtimes one play can be devastating. It can be hard to accept...given the number of plays and such but....

Remember when Murray fumbled on his way into the endzone? Packers scored to end the half then scored again to start the half.

Murray didn't by himself...give them those scores. Of course not. But...that was like a 20 point swing within just a handfull of plays.

MAybe some feel we couldn't stop Rodgers anyway..but still. If you don't see the pivot point there then maybe you don't understand life.

It CAN be subtle.
I get that, but to blame a loss on one play when they had plenty of opportunities to get back in it going against a subpar defense is not the way to approach it. Your last comment, not necessary. This is strictly football, and teams that win regularly are the ones able to overcome circumstances that are out of control. Those that lean on excuses like bad calls aren't the ones winning championships.
 
I get that, but to blame a loss on one play when they had plenty of opportunities to get back in it going against a subpar defense is not the way to approach it. Your last comment, not necessary. This is strictly football, and teams that win regularly are the ones able to overcome circumstances that are out of control. Those that lean on excuses like bad calls aren't the ones winning championships.
I hear you...but sometimes...comments here can show your life outlook. Not always...I know.

But sometimes in life one thing can be devastating. I was only trying to show that happens in a football game too.

I do agree I do not like excuses. Like Dak not winning because he never had a defense. Well...he HAS...and it's an excuse.
 
You are welcome.

61ePfLrykFL._SL1200_.jpg
 
He just didn't execute.
And therein lies the problem. I think a case could be made that he did execute a lunge. Poorly executed? Sure. Executed however? Yes.

Neither of us are changing the other's mind on this. My point was only to ask you if you could see the very reasonable way in which it could be legitimately viewed as if a football move was made.

Not sure referencing the comments of two former officials as the end all be all is all that objective.

The fact that the call had to be overturned, and that it took forever to make the final call, and that the call has been debated ad nauseum since, and that the league changed the rule as a result of the call seems to speak to the fact that there was room for interpretation in making the call.

Yesterday's call fits the same pattern.
 

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
476,151
Messages
14,669,850
Members
24,227
Latest member
Nathaniel
Back
Top