Video: Did we miss something with Jason Garrett?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Giants QB will need an Alpha type personality to avoid getting locked into Garrett's limitations or the Head Coach will need to facilitate that concept.

It's always unfortunate when Coordinators get bumped to Head Coach but should have stayed as Coordinators. Wade Phillips has been a terrific Coordinator but Cowboys fans will always remember him as a failed Head Coach.
The NFL is packed with HC's that were effective as coordinators but not as HC's, Turner, Phillips, Ryan, Lewis and Quinn made their name as coordinators and all failed as HC's, jury is still out on Quinn but you hire a DC off the top D and your D still sucks? He'll most likely hit the beach this next off season.

Very few are like Jim Johnson or Monte Kiffin, realize where you are the happiest and stay there. However, look at the jump in pay and if you get fired, you pocket the walkaway money and go back to being a coordinator because it's all about recycling in the NFL.

I don't think Garrett is an OC but for a year in NY and he's back on the HC radar again and it wouldn't surprise me to see him in ATL. Blank really wanted him. Garrett has been networking through the NFL ownership for years and is highly respected if for nothing else, putting up with Booger for that long.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've got one piece of advice for Judge. Spend 30 minutes, pick up the phone and call Wade Phillips. Discuss with him, what to watch for when Garrett is your OC..........

Things like this happening for instance:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't recall anybody accomplishing less with more than Garrett. He may be OK as a OC, but was never a good HC.

Few coaches had the consistent offensive talent that he did during his time here. "Less with more" is about as accurate as it gets.

Praxit

Reaction score
...might want to ask, Dez, Romo, Lee, Witten, Ware, ....etc.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Good video/discussion.

Balanced and objective- traits sadly absent around here.

Some only see in black and white, when in fact there are many shades of grey in-between.

Proof

Reaction score
It's kind of funny.

One of my closest friends is a Giants fan. He used to rag on me all the time for Garrett, both as OC and HC.

Post him being hired, he's hyper excited for him and expects Garrett to take Jones and Barkley and be the second coming.
:hammer:

It’s wild as hell. Not even an ounce of irony lol

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lots of backpedaling in this thread before the games are even played. Where’s the courage of your convictions guys?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It's somewhat of a true statement. Weeden was great at throwing the ball but he was a terrible QB.

There have been others in that category. Jeff George is the one that always comes to mind for me.

Meanwhile, the QB that many considered the best ever, Joe Montana, had an average at best arm.
Sonny Jurgenson.

As a kid, he was the Commanders and he could throw it on a rope and get us killed

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sonny Jurgenson.

As a kid, he was the Commanders and he could throw it on a rope and get us killed
All that with a waddle because of that beer belly, he was the first character I remember in the NFL. It seems the Skins always had some guy at QB that stood out for a variety of reasons.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Yeah..

4 of those 8-8 seasons was just too insane.

Once Jerrah saw GARRETT go 8-8 last year in a make-or-break year..

that was it for everybody. In each of those years..

just win one more game and we have 4 more playoff runs.

That would turn Landry over in his grave.

:omg:

Fixed it for you.

:muttley:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Lol!

Garrett managed to go 8-8 with a top 10 offense and defense. It takes a special kind of incompetence to accomplish that.

The incompetence began with the worst special teams in the NFL. Worst starting field position in the entire league, Brett Maher, Jones was bad - how many games did that stuff cost the Cowboys?

Even worse is how long it took for anything to even be done about any of it.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
All that with a waddle because of that beer belly, he was the first character I remember in the NFL. It seems the Skins always had some guy at QB that stood out for a variety of reasons.
Yeah..

Kilmer

Otto Graham

Jaworsky with Philly

Dr.Frank Clarke with Cleveland

Cowboy Daggers everyone.

Today's fans have no idea what it was like trying to win back then.

It's all taken for granted we will compete.

Yikes.

slick325

Reaction score
If Daniel Jones is any good and Barkley stays healthy, Garrett will be a HC in the League again.

JayFord

Reaction score
Garrett may well go on to be the greatest coach in NFL history at some point in time

but he was here for 10 years as HC and made the playoffs 3 times none if which resulted in passing the divisional round

we missed nothing

ESisback

Reaction score
It's kind of funny.

One of my closest friends is a Giants fan. He used to rag on me all the time for Garrett, both as OC and HC.

Post him being hired, he's hyper excited for him and expects Garrett to take Jones and Barkley and be the second coming.

One man’s trash, another man’s treasure...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I have been sort of interested about how Garrett is being taken in the Big Apple.

We will play him twice a year for now,

Look at the spin on his expectations..

"But it's gotta cater to our players on our roster currently."

Bwahahaha! Guess again!

NY is gonna *luv* "we do what we do".