Did Witten decide to retire due to reduced role?

waldoputty

Reaction score
team is introducing more rpo plays.
these plays work better with speed so perhaps 4 wr and zeke
someone like a rico, possibly gifted in rac, may be useful also.

witten has no speed.
rumor is witten refused to get off the field.
question is did witten decide to retire due to what could be a substantially reduced role in the offense...

DHCBF66

Reaction score

witten has no speed.
question is did witten decide to retire due to what could be a substantially reduced role in the offense...
Sit behind a desk for $4 million a year or play another season for $2 million...:facepalm:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

witten has no speed.

A rare job opportunity and more money is why he retired IMO.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score

witten has no speed.

Where's the rumor on Witten refusing to leave the field ... never heard that and it doesn't sound like him.

My guess is the decreased role, more blocking might be a small factor if that was to happen (he knows and I don't know about scheme changes).

I think he made a business decision and doesn't see this team competing for a SB.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think once Dez got cut, it broke his heart and couldn't go on playing with the Cowboys anymore. It was a show of solidarity! :cool:

waldoputty

Reaction score
Where's the rumor on Witten refusing to leave the field ... never heard that and it doesn't sound like him.

My guess is the decreased role, more blocking might be a small factor if that was to happen (he knows and I don't know about scheme changes).

I think he made a business decision and doesn't see this team competing for a SB.

it was mentioned here numerous times.

conner01

Reaction score
He knew his time was near and a opportunity that doesn’t come around too often made the decision much easier
I think this would have been his last year anyway but MNF is a rare gig

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 'refusing to leave the field' point is always funny whenever mentioned. A coach may think a player should not be on the field on a given play or plays but they will remove the player from the field if that is what they truly desire. There is way too much false melodrama added atop Witten's actual competitive nature. I blame 'reality' television.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I think the only thing Witten loved more than playing football is the love of his family. If I had to guess I would take an increased roll with the family rather than a reduced role on the gridiron.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

witten has no speed.

This stuff again? :facepalm:

The receiving corp is the main reason Witten's retiring

Witten's playing days were winding down, and a shot at the MNF job doesn't open every year. He's thinking of his future beyond football.

GenoT

Reaction score
That MNF job wasn’t gonna wait around for Witten if he passed on it.

He’s now entering a career than can last 25-30yrs, with a mid-7-figure starting salary...and he gets to be home with his family most days and nights of the week.

Witten has had a great HOF/ROH career, where he gave the Cowboys all he had for 15 seasons. He didn’t owe the game, the team or us fans anything more.

My guess is, after Jason and his wife sat down and looked it all over, the decision to retire and take the ESPN gig was pretty much a no-brainer.

Best of luck to a GREAT Cowboy!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

witten has no speed.

Very doubtful.
witten was the ultimate team player. If the coaches said he had to take a reduced role, I am pretty sure he would accept that, and help his replacement, or potential replacement.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Maybe and also factor in that he knows this team is not ready to contend in 2018 or 2019. If he was on a team like the Patriots or even the Packers with Rodgers, he might be willing to take that chance and hang around

tm1119

Reaction score
Sit behind a desk for $4 million a year or play another season for $2 million...:facepalm:

Isn't that $2M just his base salary. He was due to be cut a $4M bonus check for reworking his deal. Will be interesting to see if Jerry still cuts that check for him....

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I think he knew there would be drama in the locker room if he stayed. It actually makes me think he was the one who wanted Dez out and other players may have known it.

Verdammung

Reaction score
First and foremost, I think it's just too good of an opportunity to pass up; an opportunity that will not show itself again.