Did Witten decide to retire due to reduced role?

bud914

Reaction score
What was there left to play for?

He got what he wanted.... Irvin’s record

No more selfish motivation left

Novacek >>> Witten

Please don’t respond with career totals.

They prove nothing

Carmelo Anthony has career totals. He’s garbage. I pray Anthony never makes it to the HOF, though he unfortunately will.

And spare me the 11 pro Bowls talk. He was an alternate in 5 of those invites. You really think last season was pro bowl worthy?! Saint Witt always had his bags packed in January anticipating that pro bowl replacement call

“I already got my bags packed and ready boss! Been anticipating your call! Got my plane ticket ready... you need me I’ll be there and on time!!!”

A career full of hollow statistics and alternate pro bowl invites!!

Congrats
you got my vote for the dumbest post of the week. hard to do...congrats

Sandyf

Reaction score
team is introducing more rpo plays.
these plays work better with speed so perhaps 4 wr and zeke
someone like a rico, possibly gifted in rac, may be useful also.

witten has no speed.
rumor is witten refused to get off the field.
question is did witten decide to retire due to what could be a substantially reduced role in the offense...
Lets see ESPN offers a 5 year contract at 4.5 million a year guaranteed, says it was about his future and family.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
When Witten came out, he was a 4.64 40 guy. I have no idea what Gronkowski tested at but I can tell you that Witten and Gronkowski were not the same players. Gronk was a vertical threat while Witten was a classic inline route running TE. I would agree that Witten was not as good of a pass blocker as he would eventually become, when he came out of Tennessee but I would not agree with the statement that he was more of a Pass Catcher then blocker. Witten was considered the most complete TE in that draft if I recall. He was fortunate because he got drafted by Parcells, who is one of the best TE Coaches in the History of the NFL and he was taught by Dan Campbell, who was one of the best blocking TEs in the NFL, at the time.

I would be interested to see the measurables thou. If you have those, please post them.
Gronk was 4.65. Watch some highlights of Witten in college. He was a vertical threat. As he was the first 6-7 years here.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Gronk was 4.65. Watch some highlights of Witten in college. He was a vertical threat. As he was the first 6-7 years here.

I don't know if I can even find Tennessee footage of Witten anymore but I would say this. I actually watched Tennessee in those days. In those days, we needed a QB and so I was watching college teams with QBs. Tennessee had Casey Clausen, who I felt was a much better QB early on at Tennessee, but kinda never really developed like I'd hoped. Anyway, I watched Witten play at Tennessee because I was watching Clausen. I just don't see him as a vertical threat guy. To me, he was a polished route runner, for a kid his age, he understood how to use his size pretty well and he was a decent blocker with good hands. I am sure he had routes down field but I would not call him a vertical guy in that offense. He was a complete TE, even then. Heck, Tennessee was really not a passing team then. I remember them as more of a rushing team with speed to the outside. That was really why Witten was so successful in that offense. You had to honor the speed to the outside at Tennessee. Fulmer was a run guy who liked to have fast guys on the outside and with Witten, he could take advantage of the middle of the field. That's what I remember.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I don't know if I can even find Tennessee footage of Witten anymore but I would say this. I actually watched Tennessee in those days. In those days, we needed a QB and so I was watching college teams with QBs. Tennessee had Casey Clausen, who I felt was a much better QB early on at Tennessee, but kinda never really developed like I'd hoped. Anyway, I watched Witten play at Tennessee because I was watching Clausen. I just don't see him as a vertical threat guy. To me, he was a polished route runner, for a kid his age, he understood how to use his size pretty well and he was a decent blocker with good hands. I am sure he had routes down field but I would not call him a vertical guy in that offense. He was a complete TE, even then. Heck, Tennessee was really not a passing team then. I remember them as more of a rushing team with speed to the outside. That was really why Witten was so successful in that offense. You had to honor the speed to the outside at Tennessee. Fulmer was a run guy who liked to have fast guys on the outside and with Witten, he could take advantage of the middle of the field. That's what I remember.

It's only one clip, but you can certainly see his speed there.

Cap12

Reaction score
team is introducing more rpo plays.
these plays work better with speed so perhaps 4 wr and zeke
someone like a rico, possibly gifted in rac, may be useful also.

witten has no speed.
rumor is witten refused to get off the field.
question is did witten decide to retire due to what could be a substantially reduced role in the offense...
No. The opportunity was too good for him to pass up. Like with Romo, this is a high profile job that pays well and will allow him more time with his family.