Did You Have a Favorite Cowboy Who Wasn't a Star?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
We all usually love the star players. But did you ever really love a player for the Cowboys who was just a guy on the team with no hope of a long career? If so, who was it and try and explain why you liked that player so much.

For me it would be TE Mike Lucky. 4 years a Cowboy, only played 3. 19 career receptions for only 143 yards and 1 score. He was really a blocking TE much more than a receiving threat.

Why did I like him? I knew him from the University of Arizona. Just a really cool guy who wanted to coach High School football one day and I think he is doing that in California. I occasionally got some good inside info from him. One story in particular was really eye opening.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was big fan of Mike Renfro. Not a great WR but very dependable

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brock Marion

Five years with the 'boys 6 with Miami... His best years seemingly with Miami. Overall he was a good player and was cute to boot.

Does Rocket Ismail count as a star? I liked him too.

Brad0Walker

Reaction score
I loved Daryl Johnston, but i think he counted as a star in this area, But I really liked Bill Bates and Alvin Harper. I got to personally meet both those guys.

PS. They showed Moose on the jumbotron at the stars playoff win last sunday and the place went crazy with "MOOSE".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moose would be mine as well, but he may be pushing the 'not a star' envelope.

A great team always needs selfless players who can do their job without accolades or recognition.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
For me, it would probably be Doug Dennison.

He didn't have a lot of talent, but he was a warrior and a great teammate. He actually led the team in rushing one season. Verne Lundquist, Frank Glieber and Brad Sham used to always talk about what a hard worker and good guy he was.

Apparently, he has fallen off the face of the earth. I'm not sure the organization even knows where he is anymore.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chief;2073387 said:
For me, it would probably be Doug Dennison.

He didn't have a lot of talent, but he was a warrior and a great teammate. He actually led the team in rushing one season. Verne Lundquist, Frank Glieber and Brad Sham used to always talk about what a hard worker and good guy he was.

Apparently, he has fallen off the face of the earth. I'm not sure the organization even knows where he is anymore.
I knew this one would be yours.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Timmy Newsome, Scott Laidlaw and Ron Springs, great role players for the Cowboys.

ndanger

Reaction score
Robert Newhouse. This guys feet measured 7 1/2 inches wide. :eek: Pull your tape measure and just think about that, amazing huh? If you needed a yard he would get three. If you needed 3 yards he would get you 3. If you needed four yards he would get you 3. Goal line and short yardage situations he was money.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Juke99;2073373 said:
Kenny Gant.

Love that guy. Kelvin Martin is a close 2nd for me too.

Jason Garrett.

A buddy of mine and I used to go on and on about how we liked Garrett as a back up QB.

I remember Mike Lucky too. He was a big ole boy. I liked him as well.

Also I better not go through this thread again and not see James Washingtons name!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ndanger;2073395 said:
Robert Newhouse. This guys feet measured 7 1/2 inches wide. :eek: Pull your tape measure and just think about that, amazing huh? If you needed a yard he would get three. If you needed 3 yards he would get you 3. If you needed four yards he would get you 3. Goal line and short yardage situations he was money.
My Mom used to call him Surge, because he was always surging forward. When he got those piston like legs pumping he could move the pile.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Steve Beuerlein

Aikman got hurt and he came in and threw a bomb on his first play, i think was called PI against the Commanders. The confidence he always showed no matter the situation is what impressed me. The end of that season was great, finally we were winning.

I know he did have a long career but his Cowboy career was very short, only 2 seasons.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I had a bunch...but Dixon Edwards was one...he wasnt a star, but he was a dependable OLB who made a few big plays...one in particular was vs SF when he knocked Ricky Waters what must have been 8-10 yds backwards in the NFC Championship game. The following week the team was in Atlanta for the Super Bowl, and we went to the team hotel a few nights to get autographs etc etc. Me and a friend of mine spotted Edwards and told him what an awesome hit he put on Waters, and he seemed genuinely suprised anyone knew who he was. We talked to him for a few minutes and him, Darrin Smith and a couple other guys signed a mini helmet for me.

Another would be Chad Hennings...what a great story he was

David

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2073383 said:
Bill Bates.

Juke99;2073373 said:
Kenny Gant.

Two special teams demons! I loved their intensity!

ndanger;2073395 said:
Robert Newhouse.

:signmast: Agreed. One of my favorite plays EVER was the FB pass play during S/B XII from Newhouse to Richards. That was my first time watching a Super Bowl and I became a Cowboys' fan because of it! Classic!