Did you know that Murray is one of only two RBs with 100+ carries and 5+ ypc?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
... is one of only two backs with over 100 carries this season averaging 5-plus yards per carry?

And Murray's average of 5.3 is better than the other's, LeSean McCoy, who is averaging 5.0.

Although I'm sure Murray's numbers would suffer some if team's focused on our running game, that's pretty impressive.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If we could run the ball somewhat consistently that would men more to me but I'll take it anyway.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Definitely. Murray has the potential to be one of the best RBs in the league given the right scheme and the right amount of opportunities. Unfortunately, he has health issues. I think we need to go back to the RB-by-committee philosophy to preserve Murray's body for as long as we can.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Definitely. Murray has the potential to be one of the best RBs in the league given the right scheme and the right amount of opportunities. Unfortunately, he has health issues. I think we need to go back to the RB-by-committee philosophy to preserve Murray's body for as long as we can.

I see him as the offense's version of Sean Lee.

Excellent player when healthy, but too often injured.

But I'm very glad the team is now giving him opportunities and he's making the most of them.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
DeMarco is on top of his game right now, without question. There may be a shred of hope for our offense if he's able to continue delivering the yardage the way he has the last few games. It's the defense that desperately needs to find a solution for their woes. Sadly, I doubt it'll happen with the number of injuries they've suffered.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I see him as the offense's version of Sean Lee.

Excellent player when healthy, but too often injured.

But I'm very glad the team is now giving him opportunities and he's making the most of them.

I was gonna mention Sean Lee myself. But I think Lee is more injury prone than Murray. I also think the defense "needs" Lee more than the offense needs Murray, so Lee's inability to stay healthy has really cost us these past 3-4 years.

Aven8

Reaction score

I've always enjoyed Jimmy's philosophy on running backs, you run them in to the ground. Life expectancy 3-4 years in the NFL. :)

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Yet it still seems like we shy away from the run. Murray running behind the beast is a great thing. I keep reading Pro-Bowl for Tyron, but I'm thinking he's on the path to all-pro.
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/files/2013/05/NS_11COWSPHILLY70_28274872.jpg

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I've always enjoyed Jimmy's philosophy on running backs, you run them in to the ground. Life expectancy 3-4 years in the NFL. :)

That's true if the RB stays healthy. Any RB will run out of gas after 3-4 years of getting 20+ carries a game. The case with Murray is he can't even stay healthy to complete a whole season. His body hasn't acquired the wear and tear of a RB that plays 16-20 games a year. But I don't want to wait around forever to see if he can stay healthy. RBs are a dime a dozen.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was gonna mention Sean Lee myself. But I think Lee is more injury prone than Murray. I also think the defense "needs" Lee more than the offense needs Murray, so Lee's inability to stay healthy has really cost us these past 3-4 years.

I think Murray's been very good these past few games.

I'm starting to fear that Lee isn't naturally this big or durable enough for the rigors of football.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's what the league seems to have adopted.

From glamour position to a meat grinder.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
I just wish our running game could churn out 3-4 minutes at the end of a tight game when called upon - ala the 90's.

Lazyking

Reaction score
... is one of only two backs with over 100 carries this season averaging 5-plus yards per carry?

And Murray's average of 5.3 is better than the other's, LeSean McCoy, who is averaging 5.0.

Although I'm sure Murray's numbers would suffer some if team's focused on our running game, that's pretty impressive.

its a nice stat that is likely inflated by the bears game.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Perhaps you've heard of Emmitt Smith??

Well, yeah. There are exceptions. Look at Peterson. I'm just saying the majority of today's RBs who play 16-20 games a season with 20-30 carries a game end up wearing out rather quickly.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I think Murray's been very good these past few games.

I'm starting to fear that Lee isn't naturally this big or durable enough for the rigors of football.

I've always feared that. That's why I wasn't all giddy after we gave him a huge extension. I also won't be giddy if we extend Dez if we continue to not utilize him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
its a nice stat that is likely inflated by the bears game.

Most backs have gains that inflate their numbers and games that deflate them. That's one reason to look at season average and number of carries, because it usually balances out to be a better representation of how they are playing overall.

tm1119

Reaction score
I don't think has ever questioned his talent. But the guy is just flat our unreliable.