DirecTV HD question.

Reaction score
So here's the deal: I bought my HD receiver with DVR along with my directv subscription the summer before the 05 NFL Season. I wanted sunday ticket and HD and all that jazz, so there I went.

Well, I just had to have my satellite dish fooled with by some directv contractor and he tells me that this fall Directv is adding a ton of new HD channels, which I was told were coming soon 2+ years ago of course.

He tells me that I will need a new receiver and dish, and that I will have to buy the receiver new, they won't let you trade up from an old one.

I'm thinking, i'm going to call DirecTV and ask them what they suppose i'm going to do. Truth is, I really want this new HD stuff, especially getting locals in HD, which I haven't been able to do, which meant monday night football(now sunday night) wouldn't be in HD. However, I did pay like 600 bucks for my current receiver a couple years back, and damned if i'm going to pay another 300 dollars, which is what they're asking for the lease upgrade to the new model of HD receiver.

I know people here have gotten deals out of them before by threatening to leave and what not, and since I have paid my bill on time for 2+ years, and I have their premium package, I was wondering if anyone thinks I can get this new receiver upgrade without paying the $300?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
You already have the HD-DVR? Then you should be eligible for a free upgrade to the new HD-DVR. They are releasing a new one in November (that's what they told me). You're eligible for a $100 upgrade every 6 months. Going from old HD-DVR to new HD-DVR = $100 upgrade, not $300. Of course if you're going from just an HD, or just a DVR box, then I think it would be $300. But you should just complain that you never got any upgrades before and it should be free.