disappointing, but season isnt over

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
wasnt the ending we wanted and we certainly got killed after going up 24-21...defensively we laid an egg, especially in the 2nd half...almost all of it can be atributed to horrible 3rd down defense (they converted an amazing 11/17 on 3rd down and 2/2 on 4th down)...at 24-21 I was actually thinking we were in good shape, then we got butchered just like last December

1) missing Anthony Henry is bad and having him back will make a difference...I wouldnt play him vs Minnesota and give him that extra week with the bye to get closer to 100%...Minnesota is absolutely a 1 dimensional team

2) we really need Terry Glenn back and making a contribution...he will help the offense because he can stretch the field and beat people deep...even if its only in a PT role, we need him

3) they ran up 28 first downs, over 38 minutes of TOP and their QB threw the ball 46 times without a single attempt being nearly picked...the 3rd downs just killed us, they simply couldnt do anything to get off the field...and they scored the last FIVE times in a row they had the ball

4) officiating was pretty lousy, I dont think it cost us the game, but there is still no excuse for some of the stuff going on out there

5) it didnt matter, but Romo threw another really stupid INT

6) the defense did stop the run well and did get 3 sacks (he had only been sacked 3times all yr)...some of the coverage wasnt terrible, they just couldnt get their hand on some of the balls

7) I think if we play them again we'd see them really try and run the ball more.....I've been pretty critical of the run blocking for most of the yr, but they opened some holes today and I think the coaches may have been surprised by how effective we were running...they have to do something to susteian drives and keep them off the field...anybody will have to...in addition, if we see them and Henry is healthy, I bet Newman takes Welker and Henry will take Stallworth, with Reeves getting Moss with help...Welker killed us on 3rd downs more than anyone else..to me, he's the key guy on that offense now, even though others get the headlines

8) there were alot of key plays, but the the holding call that blew the 4th down conversion is the one I think ultimately sunk us...I know he held, but the bad thing is I dont think he had to...and what bothers me is while that was probably an easy call, where were the "easy" calls I saw that the refs could have made on NE? Ware and Spears were both held several times that I saw..also, sure seemed like there guys could do all the chipping and pushing they wanted down field, but our DB's and LB's couldnt

9) with or without Henry, they have to go back to the drawing board with some of what they are doing in coverage...just way too soft in coverage, and it wasnt just today either...we've seen it alot this yr...the rush isnt going to get there, so we've got to do more to knock off the timing and releases of these routes...its way too easy for receives to get into their routes against us

10) just beat Minnesota...that should be all they care about right now...get to 6-1 and the bye, and hopefully get Henry back 100% for Philly, Tank Johnson will be on the field either that week or the following week vs NYG...get more aggressive running the football and start playing some keep away..go 4-1 or 5-0 in November and the division should be ours

David

jman

Reaction score
disappointing, but season isnt over

You can't tell from some of the post...Besides, the defense was out on the field for something like 75 plays. They weren't playing great, but they were keeping us in the game for the most part until the 4th qtr.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
"7) I think if we play them again we'd see them really try and run the ball more.....I've been pretty critical of the run blocking for most of the yr, but they opened some holes today and I think the coaches may have been surprised by how effective we were running...they have to do something to susteian drives and keep them off the field...anybody will have to...in addition, if we see them and Henry is healthy, I bet Newman takes Welker and Henry will take Stallworth, with Reeves getting Moss with help...Welker killed us on 3rd downs more than anyone else..to me, he's the key guy on that offense now, even though others get the headlines"

I actually think the part about establishing a run game to be really important. I feel like maybe part of the reason our offense is flat in the first couple of drives is because we are trying to establish the run, but we keep getting stuffed. I'd like to see MBIII in the game during the first two drives and then JJ come in on the third drive.

Seeing how the TOP was so lopsided and how it affected our defense at the end of the game, I think we might have faired a bit better had we gone to a Bill Parcells type of game plan. Keeping the Pats offense off the field is of key importance since it doesn't seem like many, if any, defense can really stop them.

I was surprised that we didn't use Ware to chuck some receivers around like we did during the game vs. the Colts last year.