Dispelling myths about Vanderjagt

NinePointOh

Reaction score
MYTH: Vanderjagt is a poor kicker in clutch situations.

FACT: According to his career splits, he is 34-38 all time (89.5%) in Late & Close situations, which is higher than his overall career accuracy of 87.5% and much higher than Adam Vinatieri's accuracy of 78.4% in Late & Close situations. Mike has also made 87.5% of his 72 4th-quarter field goal attempts and 100% of his 3 overtime attempts, while Vinatieri has hit 82.3% of his 4th quarter attempts and 80% of his 10 overtime attempts.

MYTH: Vanderjagt's stats were inflated by playing in a dome.

FACT: Mike has made 127 of 145 field goal attempts (87.6%) indoors, and 90 of 103 attempts (87.4%) outdoors, for almost no distinguishable difference. He is 84.4% in windy weather, 100% below 40 degrees fahrenheit, and 100% with precipitation.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Nice post. Now do the "myth-fact" for kickoffs and you'll really shut some traps.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
NinePointOh said:

FACT: According to his career splits, he is 34-38 all time (89.5%) in Late & Close situations, which is higher than his overall career accuracy of 87.5% and much higher than Adam Vinatieri's accuracy of 78.4% in Late & Close situations. Mike has also made 87.5% of his 72 4th-quarter field goal attempts and 100% of his 3 overtime attempts, while Vinatieri has hit 82.3% of his 4th quarter attempts and 80% of his 10 overtime attempts.

FACT: Mike has made 127 of 145 field goal attempts (87.6%) indoors, and 90 of 103 attempts (87.4%) outdoors, for almost no distinguishable difference. He is 84.4% in windy weather, 100% below 40 degrees fahrenheit, and 100% with precipitation.

You are the AdamJT13 of kicking stats, thank you sir!!

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Nice stats 9.0. Thanks for posting. I think when you miss some really clutch clicks like last year against Pitt and the season opener a few years back against NE, you tend to remember those and think he chokes. Your numbers suggest otherwise.
I hope they don't have to bring another K in to kickoff. Hopefully, Vanderjagt or McBriar can do it.
It's undisputable he's a better option at fg kicking then they have had.

zenzen

Benched
Reaction score
Would love to know Vanderjagt's playoff stats vs. Vinateri's... just to completely close the door on naysayers.

Love this signing. Probably 2 years plus an option.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Great kicker for us for a few years. Man I wish he wans't 35.

ddh33

Reaction score
I hope you have more luck disproving these myths than others have had at disproving other myths. Unfortunately, for many fans, perception becomes reality, whether it's true or not.

TEK2000

Reaction score
DanTanna said:

Morten Anderson kicked in the NFL till he was 44 (I believe). Surely we can get several more years out of Vandy.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
NinePointOh said:

This is great stuff!!!

My only concern is with his last miss in the playoffs. Can he shake that off and keep kicking as well in high-pressure situations, or will it affct him psychologicslly in a bad way and affect his performance? Only time will tell, and I think he'll come back strong.

pjcowboy

Reaction score
He will be better than the last guys that have been here. He should give us 2-3 wins alone, regardless of how bad the line is.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
How about the myth that Vanderjagt is a 'drunk'?

He has no record, and there are no news articles of him being publicly intoxicated. But since Manning called him the 'Idiot Kicker' who 'got liquored up', he's now a drunk?

joseephuss

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
This is great stuff!!!

My only concern is with his last miss in the playoffs. Can he shake that off and keep kicking as well in high-pressure situations, or will it affct him psychologicslly in a bad way and affect his performance? Only time will tell, and I think he'll come back strong.

Vinatieri's last attempt was a miss in the playoffs. :D

I think Vandy will be a good kicker for Dallas. I liked Vinatier better and was hoping Dallas could land him even for a little more cash. Either way Dallas has upgraded the position. Either way it still doesn't really matter. I am hoping they don't have to rely on the kicker. In the losses where the kicker missed, if the offense just scores more and the defense doesn't screw up at the end, Dallas wins. Fix those things and the team goes further than just upgrading the kicking position.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So basicaly despit AV's SB performances Vanderjagts actual performance is much better in 'clutch' situations and its not even close.

Not even close.

Stats > hype.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
What a bunch of revisionist bullcrap. Are you his agent or something? His momma? Vanderjerk faced two pressure kicks in the last two years and missed them both. This putz was like our 4th or 5th choice. Now that we signed him, all his flaws magically melt away and his critics are "crazy." It's the TO debacle all over again. Don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining.

jfell99

Reaction score
I'm not sure who exactly is pissing on your leg, but i don't think he was doing anything other than giving you the facts.

If facts taste like piss to you, seems to be your issue, not his or Vanderjagt's.

The facts are simple: he's a great kicker, highly accurate, in non-pressure situations and pressure situations alike. So try enjoying have a top 3 kicker in the league. You'll be amazed how great it feels to give up the hate.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
bbgun said:
What a bunch of revisionist bullcrap. Are you his agent or something? His momma? Vanderjerk faced two pressure kicks in the last two years and missed them both. This putz was like our 4th or 5th choice. Now that we signed him, all his flaws magically melt away and his critics are "crazy." It's the TO debacle all over again. Don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining.

Dude, chill out Cundiff will get cut soon enough..

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
bbgun said:

I agree its much more sensible to look at a small sample size to determine someones worth rather than an overwhelming body of evidence.

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
DanTanna said:

What does it matter if he's 35? Kickers can kick till they are 40 easily. They don't do anything but KICK.