DL coach Jeff Zgonina on DT Mazi Smith

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New coaches are helping.

Cowboys defensive line coach Jeff Zgonina on DT Mazi Smith: “He’s doing good. He’s learning a new style. We’re a little bit different than they were last year. He’s learning. He’s trying new things. We’re trying to get the right fit for him. He’s doing well. He’s gotta get his conditioning going because he’s coming off the injury. But he’s in a good spot. We just gotta keep getting better and better every day, that’s why we come to training camp.”

Zgonina on coaching players as his job and coaching dogs in dog shows in his free time: “Both I’m dealing with something I really can’t control, but I hope I can control, that I’ve coached right. Whether I coach a dog or I coach a player, I hope they respond to what I’ve taught them and react to it. To me, dog showing is harder. Walking on the field as a player was so much easier. It’s nerve-racking.”

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Reading between the lines, it doesn't sound good for Mazi.
No real praise for him.
"We're trying to get the right fit for him."
That's a lukewarm endorsement for a first-round draft pick headed into his second year.
Possibly but it really depends on who’s doing the talking. Zgonina doesn’t seem the type to heap praise on anyone unless they’re elite status.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
No real praise for him.
That's a lukewarm endorsement for a first-round draft pick headed into his second year.
I suspect with a good coach last year Mazi would be a lot further along already, but I don't trust DQ at all. If Zim doesn't get some promise out of the kid then apparently he's just a JAG. We'll see this year.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
"We are trying to get the right fit for him"
:banghead: :banghead: :huh::huh: Let me get this right ......this is your 1st round pick going into his 2nd year and you are trying to find the right fit? What happened to KNOWING his impact BEFORE you drafted him, especially in the first round?
100%

It is sounding more and more like the kid lacks the motivation and football IQ to play this sport at a high level.

They are “trying to find the right fit” for a guy who is supposed to play the 1T in a 4-3. It ain’t rocket science.

He will get plenty of snaps this preseason, and I hope “it clicks” — but damn, this looks like a horrid draft pick.

First Taco. Now Mazi. And Schoonmaker can’t even stay off the trainer’s table. I would be fine never drafting another Michigan player at this point lol

Kingofholland

Reaction score
:banghead: :banghead: :huh::huh: Let me get this right ......this is your 1st round pick going into his 2nd year and you are trying to find the right fit? What happened to KNOWING his impact BEFORE you drafted him, especially in the first round?
They found out he wasn't a good fit for corner so now are giving him reps at DT.

CWR

Reaction score
I suspect with a good coach last year Mazi would be a lot further along already, but I don't trust DQ at all. If Zim doesn't get some promise out of the kid then apparently he's just a JAG. We'll see this year.
I agree, last year set him back. Not only is he trying to learn a new scheme and new expectations for his natural position, but he's trying to regain strength and weight. Years ago I did p90x and lost about 30lbs. When I finished and went back to the gym, my lifts were pathetic. I can't imagine how much strength he lost during the season.

tunahelper

Reaction score
No real praise for him.
Also could be Mazi is not in shape yet due to injury. So even if Mazi is doing the right things he has a lot to prove and that is done in practice and games.

In conclusion, until Mazi puts it all together through practice and games how can he recieve any praise. It's Mazi story to write.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
New coaches are helping.

Cowboys defensive line coach Jeff Zgonina on DT Mazi Smith: “He’s doing good. He’s learning a new style. We’re a little bit different than they were last year. He’s learning. He’s trying new things. We’re trying to get the right fit for him. He’s doing well. He’s gotta get his conditioning going because he’s coming off the injury. But he’s in a good spot. We just gotta keep getting better and better every day, that’s why we come to training camp.”

Zgonina on coaching players as his job and coaching dogs in dog shows in his free time: “Both I’m dealing with something I really can’t control, but I hope I can control, that I’ve coached right. Whether I coach a dog or I coach a player, I hope they respond to what I’ve taught them and react to it. To me, dog showing is harder. Walking on the field as a player was so much easier. It’s nerve-racking.”

Damn he's talking about MAZI like he just started playing football lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No real praise for him.
Totally agree lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well if he was actually here when they drafted him maybe he would asked for someone else??

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
DQ liked him enough to draft in round 1. We should offer him a trade, maybe Armstrong and a pick for Mazi lol.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You can see Mazi trying his new techniques. His slap and swim works. He is doing a much better job not getting turned.

That clip where Liufau clocks Smith, it is Mazi that Tyler was trying to peel from off a double team.

Mazi is being coached hard and maintained his work ethic. We have seen him chippy and starting fights. These are good things.

Mazi really seems to be working in the right direction.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I like Nate Newton's suggestion of simplifying everything so that Mazi doesn't have to read anything, Line him up nose to nose with the center or guard and have him plow straight forward.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Smith has some strong core strengths. Before training camp and with a change in position demands, just exactly are you failure labels going to get a real push on group directions?

First thing, his weight and physical strength is back...I'm going to watch tendency now.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Mazi is young, but boy was he bad last year. It is just malpractice that he is being counted on so much. We really need him to be good. Did he provide one ounce of hope last year? To not even protect yourself in case he is a dud is just crazy. Those type of players are typically not very expensive (run stoppers). I understand he was a first round pick. As of now though, he hasn't proven he can start. Heck, he hasn't proven he is even an NFL player yet.