DL coach Jeff Zgonina on DT Mazi Smith

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You can see Mazi trying his new techniques. His slap and swim works. He is doing a much better job not getting turned.

That clip where Liufau clocks Smith, it is Mazi that Tyler was trying to peel from off a double team.

Mazi is being coached hard and maintained his work ethic. We have seen him chippy and starting fights. These are good things.

Mazi really seems to be working in the right direction.
Right direction but is still getting pancaked

plasticman

Reaction score
"He's doing good"
"He's doing well"

"He's learning a new style"
"He's learning"

It sounds as if he's trying to convince himself.

Smith22

Reaction score
I agree, last year set him back. Not only is he trying to learn a new scheme and new expectations for his natural position, but he's trying to regain strength and weight. Years ago I did p90x and lost about 30lbs. When I finished and went back to the gym, my lifts were pathetic. I can't imagine how much strength he lost during the season.
Listening to reports from Kavanaugh and broaddus, his issue isn't strength.

It is technique, slow off the ball and a lack of any pass rush ability other than strength.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Do not listen to Broaddus. He is biased against Mazi.
I really like a lot of what Broaddus does, but I have to admit that the guy tends to make up his mind on a player early on and really doesn't like to admit he was wrong. Not sure if that's the case with Mazi or not, but his analysis this year of him seems a little lazy and generic.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

It is technique, slow off the ball and a lack of any pass rush ability other than strength.
I have heard the other two a lot but the slow off the snap I have not heard since camp started from those two.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One time it was reported a few days into camp and some act like it happens every play.
Doesn't have to get pancaked but if he's getting reached , get off is slow on some plays, that's not good. I'm NOT saying he isn't making progress because with the coach he has coaching him, he has no choice lol. He might hurt MAZI

CWR

Reaction score

They mentioned conditioning in the tweet. I'm lumping them together because when you aren't strong enough you tend to wear out faster. I suspect it is an issue as he returns to his playing weight.

I'm not real concerned about out 1 tech getting pass rush or flying off the ball.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
d6cd18c9caa1752c3177df19d94da23353-10-pot-belly-pig.2x.h473.w710.jpg

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Can we trade Mazi to Dan Quinn and the Commanders for DT John Ridgeway and a 2nd day pick? This way DQ gets his 1st round DT pick back, especially since he wanted Mazi while cutting John Ridgeway 2 years ago when we initially drafted Ridgeway?
I'm not sure he'd still want Mazi after DQ screwed him up.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

He wasn't drafted as a pass rusher, he was drafted for a 1 tech to clog up the middle, free LBs from blockers, help stop the run.
If he could do that and still rush the passer, great. But we have pass rushers, what we really need is to stop the run and keep blockers off of our LBs.