DLaw's agent was working with 2 AFC teams, possible trade

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe they could do like baseball does and include cash in the deal?
No, I have not seen that done in the NFL. The players like the fact that the signing bonus somewhat locks them into not being traded.

When Miami said they would pay part of Quinn's salary if they got a higher pick, they would have just given him a bonus before the trade that would have hit Miami's cap when they traded him.

If there was a chance they would trade DLaw then they could have made the signing bonus into a guaranteed roster bonus that didn't get paid immediately.

A trade before the roster bonus date would have meant the new team pays the roster bonus.

The other team could sign a player that the Cowboys were going to sign and pay that player a signing bonus which that team would "eat" when they traded the player to the Cowboys.

risco

Reaction score
Interesting read on how the deal came about.

LAWRENCE NEVER WANTED TO LEAVE DALLAS

During a breakthrough conference call on Thursday between Cowboys COO Stephen Jones, DE Demarcus Lawrence, agent David Canter, and Canter’s VP of analytics, Brian McIntyre, the agent texted his client at a particularly tense moment with directions on what to say.

So trade me then.

When those words never came out of Lawrence’s mouth, the situation crystallized to Canter. The 27-year-old pass-rusher has put down roots near the team facility in Frisco, Texas. He’s close with coordinator Rod Marinelli. He’s a leader in a locker room with a burgeoning young defense. In short, Lawrence didn’t really want to go anywhere, and his refusal to say those four words was proof.

“I knew then that fighting over a half-million dollars would do a disservice to my client,” Canter says. “I know that’s who my responsibility is to.”

It wasn’t a straight line from that point to a deal getting done. In fact, at 3:45 p.m. ET on Friday, it actually looked like the negotiation had taken a step backwards. But buoyed by Lawrence’s desire to sign, the sides eventually got there, striking a five-year, $105 million accord early Friday evening. Canter took me through how this all happened, and here are the most interesting things he said.

• The Cowboys’ desire for Lawrence to have shoulder surgery created a key leverage point. He played all of 2018 and part of ’17 with a torn labrum, and he wasn’t going to have surgery without getting a long-term deal first. So with months of rehab to follow that, if Dallas wanted him to get the repair and play the whole 2019 season, this had to happen soon. Most deals for tagged players happen in July, near the deadline, but this circumstance pushed the timetable way up. Dallas’s team doctor, Daniel Cooper, will perform the surgery on Wednesday.

• If Lawrence didn’t get a deal by the July 15 deadline, his plan was to report the Saturday before Week 1. He wasn’t sitting out the season. “We were never going to turn down $20.5 million for one,” Canter said. “This was not going to be the Le’Veon Bell situation.” On the flip side, for the team, if Lawrence did show up just before the opener, the concern would be whether or not they’d get the best version of Lawrence, who’d have to work his way back into football shape on the fly.

And now here comes the nonsense!!! SMDH

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Yes, it does. To try and trade him now would absolutely WRECK our cap. You think we could absorb accelerating 65 million into our cap? That is what's guaranteed in his contract, after all.
If he were traded now 48milwould be guaranteed. 17mil for the 2021 season is guaranteed at the start of next yr. But he wont be traded and shouldnt be traded.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, I have not seen that done in the NFL. The players like the fact that the signing bonus somewhat locks them into not being traded.

When Miami said they would pay part of Quinn's salary if they got a higher pick, they would have just given him a bonus before the trade that would have hit Miami's cap when they traded him.

If there was a chance they would trade DLaw then they could have made the signing bonus into a guaranteed roster bonus that didn't get paid immediately.

A trade before the roster bonus date would have meant the new team pays the roster bonus.

The other team could sign a player that the Cowboys were going to sign and pay that player a signing bonus which that team would "eat" when they traded the player to the Cowboys.
Didn't CLEV include some cash in deals?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't CLEV include some cash in deals?
No, I don't see any evidence of that.

The Giants ate big dead money from their trades with Cleveland.

Cleveland didn't trade away any big money players.

erod

Reaction score
What I got from this is that his agent is a disingenuous piece of crapp.

I see it the other way. His agent was working hard for Lawrence, then when he fully understood what Lawrence wanted, he got the deal done for him. He maximized Lawrence's deal with the parameters he was given.

Now, a guy like Scott Boris makes his client's sign a contract that says basically, "you will sign wherever I get you the most money, no questions asked, period."

This agent didn't do that.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, I don't see any evidence of that.

The Giants ate big dead money from their trades with Cleveland.

Cleveland didn't trade away any big money players.
Maybe I was thinking about them taking on the Osweiler contract for a 2nd round pick. That was a cash dump, so I guess that's how it's done!!!!

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking of!!!!!!!!!!!!
PITT ate a lot of signing bonus money on the AB trade but AB saw it more like back pay and PITT saw it as future compensation

Either way they took a 21m dead cap hit to trade him and they saved 1m this year and 15m next year

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
I think this explains the Ed Oliver rumors. We probably would have gotten a top 10 pick.

I seriously doubt we were offered anywhere close to a top 10 pick.

If we were offered a top 10 pick for Lawrence and turned it down we would officially have the dumbest leadership in the history of football.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Did everyone miss this or did I miss the news that Dallas gave DLaw permission to talk to other teams? If Dallas tagged him with the exclusive rights tag and his agent was working on trades with other teams, would that not be collusion on the other teams part? A player has more incentive to continue holding out if his agent is talking bigger numbers with other teams. Does anyone know exactly which tag was used and if Dallas gave such permissions. If not, why is this not a big story?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Demarcus made the decision that he most wanted to and that's obviously to the benefit of both Demarcus, himself, his agent and that of the Cowboys. He had worked feverishly to become the best DE available for the Cowboys to find success and to re-sign. Contract negotiations are always tough but should ideally be to the benefit of both parties involved.

Both parties mutually arrived at a compromise that they should justifiably be happy with. This is what they both wanted or a deal would never have been struck. I'm both happy and relieved to see this come to pass. Eventually, DL will rehab, recover and return to the team where he rightfully belongs. Hopefully, he and the C'boys will thrive for years to come. ;)

Last edited:

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
I seriously doubt we were offered anywhere close to a top 10 pick.

If we were offered a top 10 pick for Lawrence and turned it down we would officially have the dumbest leadership in the history of football.

Well, there were some rumors about it. If they were anywhere close of being true it had to be a top 10 pick because Ed Oliver is widely known of being a top 10 pick.

ksg811

Reaction score
Did everyone miss this or did I miss the news that Dallas gave DLaw permission to talk to other teams? If Dallas tagged him with the exclusive rights tag and his agent was working on trades with other teams, would that not be collusion on the other teams part? A player has more incentive to continue holding out if his agent is talking bigger numbers with other teams. Does anyone know exactly which tag was used and if Dallas gave such permissions. If not, why is this not a big story?

He was a non-exclusive tag and was free to negotiate with other teams, which is exactly why it's a non-story. Franchise tags are always non-exclusive unless stated otherwise.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
It's great to hear that he never wanted to leave, but now I want to know what those teams were offering as compensation. And would the Cowboys have taken any trade that didn't include a 1st? Who was the team that was ready to pull the trigger? Indy?
That was my thought too. I kinda wanna know.