DMN: Another OU lineman projected to be Cowboys' second-round pick

kevwun

Reaction score
Part of that is on the Big XII refs. They let offensive lineman get away with murder this year in conference play. I can't tell you how many times I watched Orakpo rushing the qb while dragging a tackle who had him around the neck. He's lucky he only sprained his knee this year and didn't tear an acl.

jimmy40

Reaction score
CATCH17;2641890 said:
I've watched this guy in almost every game hes played in.

Heck of a talent.

But...

He does get beat and he does love to Hold.

He is to Holding as to what Flozell is to False Starts.

Its really bad.

He has a lot of holes in his game and couldn't come in and start right away imo but definetely has the build to be a quality NFL player.

Romo holding on to the ball and Loadhold having to block for more than 1 second is not a good combination.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
kevwun;2641896 said:
Part of that is on the Big XII refs. They let offensive lineman get away with murder this year in conference play. I can't tell you how many times I watched Orakpo rushing the qb while dragging a tackle who had him around the neck. He's lucky he only sprained his knee this year and didn't tear an acl.

Yeah it was bad.

I remember Mike Mayock, before the OU vs Tech game, came on and said OU gets away with more holding than any team in College football by a longshot.

Its funny because every year when OU gets in a BCS bowl they finally get lit up for their holding with Penalty Flags.

1 thing I will say about Loadholt, and the rest of OU's line, is they use a scheme that doesn't fit their offensive lines strengths.

They have 350 pound Offensive linemen trying to run a zone blocking scheme. Very similar to the Colts scheme but with bigger guys.

In College it helps create more big plays but usually when you face a team with = talent it bites you in the butt.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I thought I'd read that he really stuggled at the Senoir Bowl.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
jimmy40;2641897 said:
Romo holding on to the ball and Loadhold having to block for more than 1 second is not a good combination.

A lot of that is on Garrett too.

He abuses Romo's great escaping abilities and runs so many long routes because he knows Romo can buy time.

I guess Jason was to busy being a backup to ever realise that TO doesn't need to catch the ball 20 yards down field in order to make a big play.

jimmy40

Reaction score
kevwun;2641896 said:
No way.:eek: http://i32.***BLOCKED***/albums/d30/joeywa/orangebloods/PB020094.jpg

kevwun

Reaction score
That's the play when Orakpo sprained his knee. No penalty was called.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
kevwun;2641909 said:
That's the play when Orakpo sprained his knee. No penalty was called.

Big 12 is a joke.

They have 2 teams with enough talent to spread to the defensive side of the ball and the officiating screws defenses over so bad on top of that.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Primetime42;2641738 said:
I'd be happy with any one of those boys on OU's front 5.
Robinson yes, Phil nah. As stated before, Orakpo abused him in the RRS.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2641403 said:
Another OU lineman projected to be Cowboys' second-round pick
3:43 PM Mon, Feb 16, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips
I linked to a two-round mock draft a couple weeks ago that had the Cowboys taking Oklahoma LT Phil Loadholt with the 51st overall pick.

Here's one from National Football Post, which Yahoo is using for its draft coverage, that has the Cowboys taking Oklahoma OG Duke Robinson.

Worth noting: Scouts, Inc. forecasted an early second-round run on safeties. National Football Post sees Louis Delmas as the only safety who will be off the board when the Cowboys get on the clock.

Then we should trade up to get one of the safeties. That is really holding our pass defense back.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2641972 said:
Then we should trade up to get one of the safeties. That is really holding our pass defense back.
Yes, the Cowboys should pretend we're the Raiders and draft a DB with our top pick repeatedly. It's worked so well in Oakland.

Jerry's already doing a good Al Davis in most other regards.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2641975 said:
He'd give us a nice bit of depth at the Guard position, which we sorely need.

He's a natural tackle. I don't think he would make a good guard at all.

There is some Centers in college that might make good NFL guards too.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Hostile;2641434 said:
My favorite "I hope so" pick for us.

It wasn't many years ago when Bobby "Barbie" Carpenter was everyone's ""I hope so" pick.

I just don't get thrilled with the draft.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
i liked manny lawson better than carpenter

can you imagine, lawson on opposite side of ware

and cowboys didnt pull that trigger but they had that chance

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DallasEast;2641420 said:
Does Robinson have any experience playing tackle? Preferably left tackle?

I doubt that Robinson could play Tackle. He doesn't have very good feet so it would be real hard for him to play the position IMO. I watch Robinson and I see him as a scheme RG. He doesn't have very good agility so I think he would have to play for a team that uses a zone blocking scheme. I don't think he can pull in the NFL. He's very strong and has a mean streak but I don't know if he can play for just everybody.

wick

Reaction score
As mentioned, OU's offensive line does hold like crazy, and that won't fly in the NFL. The Sooners also play an offense that in no way resembles anything played in the NFL, so their lineman have no training at all in running an NFL blocking scheme. Loadholt is a sack of garbage; that would be like drafting Shane Hannah all over again.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;2642376 said:
I doubt that Robinson could play Tackle. He doesn't have very good feet so it would be real hard for him to play the position IMO. I watch Robinson and I see him as a scheme RG. He doesn't have very good agility so I think he would have to play for a team that uses a zone blocking scheme. I don't think he can pull in the NFL. He's very strong and has a mean streak but I don't know if he can play for just everybody.
Thanks for the info! :)

kevwun

Reaction score
A nice mean streak is an underrated characteristic in offensive lineman.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
kevwun;2642433 said:
A nice mean streak is an underrated characteristic in offensive lineman.

Oh, I wouldn't give a plug nickle for an OL, no matter how talented, who didn't have one. It's a must.