DMN: Anthony Spencer *Out*, Sam Hurd hopes to play Sunday night *Merge*

Reaction score
Anthony Spencer, Sam Hurd hope to play Sunday night

1:33 PM Fri, Sep 19, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips
OLB Anthony Spencer and WR Sam Hurd practiced today and hope to talk the coaches and athletic trainers into letting him play Sunday night in Green Bay.
Spencer said he had an MRI on his right knee Wednesday, and the results were negative. He experienced soreness and stiffness in the knee, which was scoped in late August, after playing limited snaps against the Eagles.
"I think it was just some scar tissue breaking down," Spencer said.
Hurd, who suffered a high ankle sprain in the preseason finale, said he would play against the Packers if it were up to him. But he acknowledged that the team's medical staff might want him to wait a week.

bootyhunta

Reaction score
Take your time boys, we need you for the whole season, not just this game.

I would like to see Spencer out there on Sunday, but only if he is 100%.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
Good news...we could really use a healthy Spencer to help spell Ellis/Ware.

Reaction score
Spencer Won’t Play Sunday In Green Bay
Posted by nickeatman at 9/19/2008 1:48 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

[FONT=verdana,geneva]After returning to action last week against the Eagles, second-year linebacker Anthony Spencer will not play Sunday in Green Bay. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Spencer got his knee scoped on Aug. 20, a procedure that figured to keep him out 2-4 weeks. He was able to play last week, but has continues to be bothered by the injury.
[FONT=verdana,geneva]He practiced on Wednesday, but has been out of action the last two days, including Friday’s light practice at Valley Ranch. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Since he plays most only in the dime package as a pass rusher, Spencer will likely be replaced by other defensive ends in that role, possibly Stephen Bowen, who played the first game in Cleveland but was inactive last week against Philadelphia once Spencer returned. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Spencer, along with fullback Deon Anderson (knee) and safety Roy Williams (forearm) will be out for the game and probably won’t even travel to Green Bay. Sam Hurd (ankle) is listed as questionable, although Miles Austin (knee), Kyle Kosier (foot), Terence Newman (groin), Isaiah Stanback (shoulder) and Jason Witten (shoulder) are all probable to play. [/FONT]

- Nick Eatman
[/FONT]

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
spencer needs to go to rehab and get healthy. I like him but i don't think he's that big of a loss.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rampage;2271126 said:
spencer needs to go to rehab and get healthy. I like him but i don't think he's that big of a loss.
Actually he's a pretty big loss to the OLB rotation. This means that Ware will prolly go another week without getting any rest.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2271137 said:
Actually he's a pretty big loss to the OLB rotation. This means that Ware will prolly go another week without getting any rest.

Burnett will see some time, i would imagine.

fortdick

Reaction score
Spencer is a bust. IT's his second year and he isn't starting. He isn't even playing. What a waste of a first round pick.

(Quietly watches bobber waiting for the fish to take the bait)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pick6TerenceNewman;2271140 said:
Burnett will see some time, i would imagine.
Burnett is an ILB, he already backs up Bradie and Zach on passing downs.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2271153 said:
Burnett is an ILB, he already backs up Bradie and Zach on passing downs.

Would that be Carp than? Wasn't sure if they would move Burnett around a little because of Spencers injury.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
damn I was hoping Spencer would be back.....are they just keeping him out to be safe???

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2271137 said:
he's not that big of a loss. our O needs to run the ball better and give our defense a rest.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Welp. Looks like I'm strappin on the helmet this weekend............I'll be donning Wares number, just for Sunday. Watch for me.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pick6TerenceNewman;2271161 said:
Would that be Carp than? Wasn't sure if they would move Burnett around a little because of Spencers injury.
Carp is also an ILB, too. The depth of that spot begins and ends with Justin Rogers right now with Spencer out.

Rampage;2271178 said:
he's not that big of a loss. our O needs to run the ball better and give our defense a rest.
Sometimes I forget who I am dealing with. The loss of depth at a position that has none makes it a big loss.

Picture this, if Spencer is in, he gives both Ellis and Ware a breather which makes them fresher late in games. This also means they might be able to get off the field sooner during the first half, because they're able to generate even more pressure with him in the lineup.