News: DMN: Babe Laufenberg analyzes Dallas' 27-23 win over the Washington Commanders on Sunday

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not a conspiracy. If I could find the quote, there's something from Stephen (I believe) about risk taking in the 2nd round. Taking players with 1st round talent who had question marks. I don't think that includes Escobar or the back-to-back TEs. But go back Bruce what's his face, Sean Lee, etc.

Having said, I *thought* that they would be going away from taking guys with injury histories when Will took over due to comments he made in an interview. I don't think he's a believer in those players, but clearly our team owners don't mind.

And I think the owners are a big part of the problem. We can only hope they realize this and start acting accordingly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some nuggets from Babe's post. Particularly:

Thank you! If a call doesn't work, it's a bad call. It can only be a good call if it works because you make the call assuming it will work.

The onside kick was a bad call - PERIOD! Fortunately, it didn't hurt us.

I'm a bit torn on it. On one hand, I love that an overly conservative coach like Garrett actually took a chance. I give him credit for taking any kind of a shot, despite the fact that it failed.

Conversely, I'm worried that Special Teams Coach Rich Bisaccia has way too much influence on Garrett at this point. From wasted roster spaces for two fullbacks and too many safeties who can't play, to now running trick plays on special teams. Not crazy about any of that.

But I also give Garrett credit for calling out poor play when he sees it, no matter who it's from. I've felt he's protected and coddled players too much in the past and given canned, vanilla responses to the questions for far too long. I like that he's called out poor play from Terrance Williams, Tyrone Crawford, and Ezekiel Elliott. His job is on the line and these guys need to be held accountable.

We need to change our second-round philosophy because not picking productive players in a round where you should get them is, well, embarrassing not to mention holding this franchise back.

Big time!

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Its all Jerry Jones. Its pretty obvious to me that because he likes to go offense with the first pick, he is desperate to get that home run defensive player that he needs so badly . So he is willing to take huge risks to get them. And the positions of need.............CB, DE, MLB are all prime position that you typically need a high pick to get a good one. Premium positions.

So when you bomb and take a RB with the 4th pick in the draft, you have to make that up somehow.

Just look what they did with Jones the safety. Took a workout warrior hoping to turn him in to a dynamic football player. Instead of just taking the football player.

Jones has been good. What are you talking about?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I, like many here, had no problem with the 2nd round picks at the time of the draft. Yeah, in hindsight, everyone would choose differently. I'm sure all 32 teams would have drafted Dak earlier in hindsight.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Escobar was the one that still bothers me. What a stupid choice.

Don't remind me of who we could've got. It's depressing.

GM Jerry at his finest.

Next thing you know, he will draft nothing but Special Teams players so they can win that phase of the game. Oh, wait... .

Deep_South

Reaction score
I, like many here, had no problem with the 2nd round picks at the time of the draft. Yeah, in hindsight, everyone would choose differently. I'm sure all 32 teams would have drafted Dak earlier in hindsight.

My recollection is Zoners knew immediately Escobar couldn't block and the pick resulted in a universal head-scratch that continues to this day.

Reaction score
When is the last time Jerry and Co took a risk and it panned out?? Ro for 2 years and what else? JG for 6 years can be lumped in with the 2nd round draft choices as far as I'm concerned.
You have to go back to Marc Columbo. And even that wasn't much of a risk because he was a free agent. He was just a guy nobody else wanted and he turned into a pretty good player for a few years.

Reaction score
As for the onside kick, I liked the call. It was just poorly executed on the field. I don't fault Garrett at all here.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I disagree that the onside kick was a bad choice.

It was perfectly called, the Commanders were completely caught off guard....our kicker just flubbed it. As a coach, you have to count on your players, and Bailey is one of the most consistent in the league. There are plenty of things to nitpick over, this wasn't one of them.

Gameover

Reaction score
When is the last time Jerry and Co took a risk and it panned out?? Ro for 2 years and what else? JG for 6 years can be lumped in with the 2nd round draft choices as far as I'm concerned.
Dez Bryant. Sean Lee. Demarco Murray.

Escobar was about Jerry having a little envy of the Patriots. Jerry wanted him a two tight end offense!

Aven8

Reaction score
Dez Bryant. Sean Lee. Demarco Murray.

Escobar was about Jerry having a little envy of the Patriots. Jerry wanted him a two tight end offense!

Dez a risk?? Why again? Demarco???? Demarco was a stud in college and a 3rd pick. I would put him in the steal category.

Gameover

Reaction score
Dez a risk?? Why again? Demarco???? Demarco was a stud in college and a 3rd pick. I would put him in the steal category.

Horrible pro day and red flags galore on Dez. He fell to 25.