WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Appeal denied to add sack to DeMarcus Ware's total

12:22 PM Thu, Sep 25, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

DeMarcus Ware officially has three sacks this season, but the Cowboys tried to get the NFL to add one to that total. They wanted Ware, not Zach Thomas, to get credit for the sack when Green Bay QB Aaron Rodgers ran out of bounds Sunday night.

The NFL denied the Cowboys' appeal, so Ware is tied for sixth in the league in sacks instead of second. The league said that Rodgers stepped out of bounds to avoid contact with Thomas after Ware flushed him from the pocket.

"It looked like he was running out of bounds no matter what," Wade Phillips said. "If DeMarcus is chasing me, I'm running out of bounds if I can get there."

Thomas playfully disagreed: "I flexed a little. I scared him out of bounds."

Comments (4) Leave comment | E-mail entry

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I agree with the league. Thomas blocked any upfield yardage forcing him out where he went out even if Ware would have caught him sooner or later.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Probably should have been Thomas' sack, but they should throw Ware a bone simply because of the way he was robbed of 3-4 sacks last season.

I can see Ware getting 2-3 sacks on sunday.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Doesn't Dallas realize that Demarcus is due a new contract soon? They should be trying to pull sacks from his total.;)

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
yeah that was definately a sack that deserved to go to Thomas. Ware will get plenty more, for sure.

Race Bannon

Reaction score
I was curious about this situation. Ware just missed a sack earlier in the game because Rodgers body flopped forward for a 1/2 yard gain scurrying out of the pocket. Did Thomas get credit for the sack when Rodgers had to eat the fumble on the play with 1 second left in the 1st quarter?

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
Race Bannon;2285704 said:
I was curious about this situation. Ware just missed a sack earlier in the game because Rodgers body flopped forward for a 1/2 yard gain scurrying out of the pocket. Did Thomas get credit for the sack when Rodgers had to eat the fumble on the play with 1 second left in the 1st quarter?

According to NFL.com's gamebook Brady got credit for a tackle for no gain.

"Green Bay Packers at 0:01
1-10-DAL 43 :)01) A.Rodgers FUMBLES (Aborted) at DAL 43, touched at DAL 45, and recovers at GB 49.
A.Rodgers to GB 49 for no gain (B.James)."

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Certainly they have better things to do than file petty appeals.

adamknite

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2285649 said:
Thomas playfully disagreed: "I flexed a little. I scared him out of bounds."

Why couldn't Miami have given him to us a long time ago?

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Maybe Thomas has escalators in his contract that Ware's doesn't. Gotta save the team that $1 mil.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
lol....what does it matter.......Ware will not get any bigger contract...with or without it.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I don't think anything will stop Ware from getting a monster contract.