DMN Blog: Bench Greg Ellis

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Set up for benching? If that's the truth, this whole staff should be fired. What the hell does that mean to set a player up for benching?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
this coaching staff is so slow

we finally bench Brad at least a game late after the fans were calling for it for 2 weeks

Spencer finally might replace Ellis on 1st and 2nd downs, I've been calling for that since forever

still waiting on Ginger to shorten the routes...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;2400282 said:

we finally bench Brad at least a game late after the fans were calling for it for 2 weeks

Spencer finally might replace Ellis on 1st and 2nd downs, I've been calling for that since forever

If it helps you feel any better, I think I saw two slants in the Giants game.

One was an Owens TD, and the other the fossil overthrew by about 3 yards for an interception.

IIRC.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2400310 said:
If it helps you feel any better, I think I saw two slants in the Giants game.

One was an Owens TD, and the other the fossil overthrew by about 3 yards for an interception.

IIRC.

yeah, I saw those, but that's not enough, we'll need plenty more when Romo comes back

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;2400323 said:
yeah, I saw those, but that's not enough, we'll need plenty more when Romo comes back

Oh I'm with you.

I just thought hearing about some, would be better than none.

Hopefully, with Felix back, they remember about throwing a frickin' screen pass too.

If he gets any touches that is...

joseephuss

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2400282 said:

You can't replace Ellis with Spencer if Spencer is not healthy. I think the plan has always been to get Spencer much more playing time, but he just has not been healthy this year. The coaches have not been dumb for not doing it. They just could not do it because Spencer has not even suited up to play in a while.

I don't see it as a benching of Ellis. I just see it has finally getting to utilize the talent that they planned all along now that Spencer is back. The more pass rushers the better. Having a fresher Ellis for pass rushing plays to go along with Ware and Spencer is a good thing.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss;2400368 said:
You can't replace Ellis with Spencer if Spencer is not healthy. I think the plan has always been to get Spencer much more playing time, but he just has not been healthy this year. The coaches have not been dumb for not doing it. They just could not do it because Spencer has not even suited up to play in a while.

I don't see it as a benching of Ellis. I just see it has finally getting to utilize the talent that they planned all along now that Spencer is back. The more pass rushers the better. Having a fresher Ellis for pass rushing plays to go along with Ware and Spencer is a good thing.

this offseason Wade was telling everyone how Ellis' job was his

Wade respects vets and prefers them to start, he's just too nice of a coach to bench a vet unless he's told to, or the vet really stinks up the joint

witness the Brad benching, he was so not ready to do it even though it was painfully obvious that it had to be done

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Greg's true position is a 4-3 DE and it doesn't translate to a 3-4 OLB in his case, he's to slow to play in space. When he complained about the transition he was right (Not Whining) and now the coaches are all scratching their heads and fans are saying he's over the hill, yada yada yada.

Parcells took him out of his true position and now we are stuck with the mess. As one poster stated earlier last year teams were trying to play catch up and we sent Ellis in more frequently, now roles are reversed. We need to take away his reps and only send him in on Dime and nickle packages where there are 4 down linemen and he can excel. Problem solved..

khiladi

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2399960 said:
1:05 PM Tue, Nov 04, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

Now the headline might confuse you. Or it might upset you.

But Wade Phillips was raving about Anthony Spencer yesterday. Phillips said Spencer was harder to block than DeMarcus Ware during the Giants game. I think Phillips is setting Greg Ellis up for a benching. I could be wrong on this, but Phillips did say he wants to shake things up.

Maybe Ellis sits and comes in on third down. It's a plan the Cowboys wanted to implement anyway, well at least a year from now.

The Cowboys haven't done a good job with Ellis. They made him cover tight ends, something he's not good at, instead of rushing the passer on a regular basis.

It's amazing that the Cowboys have messed this thing up with Ellis. After all he had the most sacks he's ever had in his career last year and earned the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year award.

He didn't do that covering the tight end. He did that by rushing the quarterback.

No, Calvin Watkins... It was wade Phillips that gave Greg Ellis his 12 sacks. Before ade got here, Greg Ellisnever broke 10 sacks in a year.

If anything, Greg needs to give credit to Wade for reviving his career and allowing him to play so much, while he allows a much better talent and beast Anthony Spencer to sit out way more.

But now the time has come...

It is now time for Anthony Spencer... Greg Ellis is officially done...

khiladi

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2400069 said:
Ellis isn't covering TE's at any higher rate than he was last year. He's just not getting to the QB, which once again proves to me that Ellis is much more effective getting about 50-60% of the snaps than 90%+ of the snaps. I hate to tell Watkins, but in the 3-4, both OLB's have to cover the TE from time to time. So they either needed to bench Ellis from the beginning or get him to cover TE's better. There's really nothing about "screwing up the Greg Ellis situation." Spencer got hurt and Ellis was forced to start one way or another. I think it's just a case of Greg getting up there in age and not being as effective as he used to be.

Exactly... Greg Ellis covered last year. It is no different this year. He flat-out has lost a step if one can actually argue that. Or maybe he just had an off year last year, producing 12 sacks which he never even got close to for how many years in his career?

khiladi

Reaction score
Screw Greg Ellis on passing downs as well...

If Spencer is better in space, is quicker off the ball and stronger, than he should be playing on passing downs as well..

Taking this guy out on passing downs is a mistake, because he is flat-out explosive off the ball. He gets into the back-field incredibly fast.

Any time taken away from Spencer, in my eyes, is just meant to appease Greg.

khiladi

Reaction score
DatNguyen59;2401134 said:
Would Ellis work at DE in a 3-4 defense?

I'll tell yoiu who would work better at DE. Ratliff. This guy lined up next to Ware or Spencer would be magical. Dallas needs a big NT. It is a huge priority in the off-season.

Look at the Giants. They lost Osi and Strahan, and they still get pressure on the QB becauise of Tuck. He can bring pressure from the inside.

Temo

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2399960 said:
1:05 PM Tue, Nov 04, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

Now the headline might confuse you. Or it might upset you.

But Wade Phillips was raving about Anthony Spencer yesterday. Phillips said Spencer was harder to block than DeMarcus Ware during the Giants game. I think Phillips is setting Greg Ellis up for a benching. I could be wrong on this, but Phillips did say he wants to shake things up.

Maybe Ellis sits and comes in on third down. It's a plan the Cowboys wanted to implement anyway, well at least a year from now.

The Cowboys haven't done a good job with Ellis. They made him cover tight ends, something he's not good at, instead of rushing the passer on a regular basis.

It's amazing that the Cowboys have messed this thing up with Ellis. After all he had the most sacks he's ever had in his career last year and earned the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year award.

He didn't do that covering the tight end. He did that by rushing the quarterback.

This is a dumb argument... he's been as bad rushing the QB as he has been in pass coverage.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
phillips praised the hell out of two people in his press conference yesterday.

witten and spencer.

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
Ren;2400002 said:
yeah this makes sense,.. if Spencer is harder to block we need to take him off the field on 3rd down, god forbid the D actually makes a stop around here

I believe it is implied that all 3 OLB's would be in on 3rd down.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I know everyone's dying to move Ellis to DE (not a good idea). DEs in a 3-4 need to be 290 295+, our Dline's already having problems because of the lack of a big NT, we don't need to get smaller right now.

Just bench him and bring him in occasionally.