DMN Blog: Brad Johnson won the game, but ...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1:34 PM Mon, Oct 27, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Wade Phillips prefers to stress two positives from Brad Johnson's performance against Tampa Bay. Johnson didn't turn the ball over, and the Cowboys won the game.

Phillips, however, wasn't exactly beaming with confidence about his backup quarterback.

After some prodding, Phillips said that Johnson would start Sunday against the Giants. He was hesitant to even do that. Phillips certainly didn't shoot down the possibility of bringing in third-stringer Brooks Bollinger if the Cowboys' offense sputters again.

"I don't know," Phillips said as he headed off to meetings. "We'll have to discuss all that. He really hasn't taken any snaps with the first team."

The hunch here is that will change Wednesday.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
we have a better chance to win with freakin Vinnie Ballsackverde out there...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2378268 said:
"I don't know," Phillips said as he headed off to meetings. "We'll have to discuss all that. He really hasn't taken any snaps with the first team."

The hunch here is that will change Wednesday.

Maybe giving them off until Wednesday isn't the best idea if that is the case. Maybe Bollinger isnt' off until Wednesday like the others. I know if I were Roy and TO, I would be showing up on my day off if there was a chance Bollinger might be tossing a few during the Giants game.

Thats it. No off days this week! :laugh2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rampage;2378277 said:
I hope the hunch is right.
No kidding. You'd have to be braindead to not at least give him a shot in practice.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;2378295 said:
No kidding. You'd have to be braindead to not at least give him a shot in practice.

Two Words: Wade Phillips

:D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;2378295 said:

I'm sure Bollinger got more work last week as he was named the #2 QB and I would expect he will get snaps this week. As a 3rd string QB you will not get many as the #2 the work load increased. I think alot of it will come down to what they see in practice with Bollinger

onetrickpony

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2378307 said:
I'm sure Bollinger got more work last week as he was named the #2 QB and I would expect he will get snaps this week. As a 3rd string QB you will not get many as the #2 the work load increased. I think alot of it will come down to what they see in practice with Bollinger

It was reported last week that Brad got all the 1st team reps in practice. Bollinger ran the scout team.

There was no change of Bollinger playing against the Bucs as long as Brad could still go. That may change this week but I'm not very optimistic, either of Bollinger getting in the game or of him being much help if he does.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
onetrickpony;2378382 said:
It was reported last week that Brad got all the 1st team reps in practice. Bollinger ran the scout team.

There was no change of Bollinger playing against the Bucs as long as Brad could still go. That may change this week but I'm not very optimistic, either of Bollinger getting in the game or of him being much help if he does.

What I'm saying is within a week 1 and 2 QB will see more reps than a 3rd string who is inactive. I fully expect to see Johnson starting vs the Giants and if we can avoid killing ourselves I think we have a shot at the giants.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Yep, he sure was hesitant but finally gave in and said he was the starter.

To be honest, Buc defenders dropped 2 gimmee ints that I can think of.

Teams will load up and try to stop Marion Barber as they don't fear Brad Johnson's arm.

The defense will have to win this game. Their new attitude will be tested because they will be facing a QB that can attack every area of the field, unlike Jeff Garcia.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I tell ya, if Manning stares down his WR's like he did yesterday we are going to have some chances against him!!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could we see Brooks Bollinger Sunday?

Sure sounds like it's possible. Wade Phillips is committed to Brad Johnson remaining the starter, he did get a win on Sunday you know and Wade tells us. And he also didn't have a turnover.

But could Bollinger get some action? Wade said he would be discussing the state of the offense with teh coaches and making some of his own scheme suggestions this afternoon.

"We're looking at one game," Phillips said. "It's what we can do to win this one game. Whatever that is we will discuss it."

Phillips said the possibility was unlikely right now of Bollinger replacing Johnson if he struggles. But he seemed to leave the door open that it was getting kicked around. Things could change in practice this week if Bollinger gets more first-team reps.

It took Wade several questions about Johnson before he finally said he was the starting quarterback Sunday. Now, Cowboys fans before you get too excited about Brooks. Do you remember the preseason game this season against the Vikings? Yeah, that was some of Brooks fine work.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 02:34 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

onetrickpony

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2378392 said:
What I'm saying is within a week 1 and 2 QB will see more reps than a 3rd string who is inactive. I fully expect to see Johnson starting vs the Giants and if we can avoid killing ourselves I think we have a shot at the giants.

The third string QB is usually more active in practice because he runs the scout team. The # 2 guy gets very few reps. That is why the #2 QB is usually a veteran who can come in and play without much practice.

Brad got all the 1st team reps last week and it won't surprise me if that happens this week, too. He just hasn't played enough in the last few years. Brad needs reps and so does Bollinger and I don't think either of them will get enough if they split them.

I'm crossing my fingers that all of Brad's misses against TB were just rust coming off and he plays better against the Giants.

links18

Reaction score
Why we did not upgrade the back-up qb position is beyond me. We traded a 5th for a guard who can't beat out sorry sack procter, bit we thought we were good with fossilized bj? And then when we do try to do something the answer is bollinger? Unbelievable...