DMN Blog: Breer's Stats For the Week (Rush, Pass, Receptions, Personnel)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
November 13, 2007

On Target

Here's the breakdown of who got/was supposed to get the ball in the passing game against the Giants. The interception was included in Terrell Owens total:

WR TERRELL OWENS
Thrown to: 12 (7 first half/5 second half)
Final Stats: 6 catches, 125 yards, 2 TD (3-31 first half/3-94, 2 TD second half)
Drops: 0

WR PATRICK CRAYTON
Thrown to: 5 (3/2)
Final Stats: 5 catches, 66 yards, TD (3-38, TD/2-28)

RB MARION BARBER
Thrown to: 3 (2/1)
Final Stats: 3 catches, minus-1 yard (2-[minus-3]/1-2)

TE JASON WITTEN
Thrown to: 3 (1/2)
Final Stats: 2 catches, 12 yards (0-0/2-12)

WR SAM HURD
Thrown to: 2 (2/0)
Final Stats: 2 catches, 21 yards (2-21/0-0)

TE ANTHONY FASANO
Thrown to: 2 (0/2)
Final Stats: 1 catch, 9 yards (0-0/1-9)

TE TONY CURTIS
Thrown to: 1 (1/1)
Final Stats: 1 catch, 15 yards, TD (1-15, TD/0-0)

PASSES DEFENSED: 4
TIPS AT LINE: 0
THROWAWAYS: 0

QB TONY ROMO
First half: 11-16, 102 yds. 2 TD, INT, sack
Second Half: 9-12, 145 yds., 2 TDs

Posted by Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 3:04 PM (E-mail this entry)

-------------------------------------

Cowboys rush analysis

Here's a look at how the Cowboys attacked Eli Manning on his 40 pass drops this week:

3-man pressure: 0 of 40 snaps (0/0)
4-man pressure: 25 of 40 snaps (11 first half/15 second half)
5-man pressure: 13 of 40 snaps (6/7)
6-man pressure: 2 of 40 snaps (1/1)
7-man pressure: 0 of 29 snaps (0/0)

MANNING NUMBERS

First Half

Vs. 4-man pressure: 9-9, 96 yards; 2 sacks
Vs. 5-man pressure: 3-5, 11 yards, INT; sack
Vs. 6-man pressure: 1-1, 8 yards, TD

Second half

Vs. 4-man pressure: 5-11, 63 yards, INT; 2 sacks; 1 rush, 3 yards
Vs. 5-man pressure: 5-7, 58 yards
Vs. 6-man pressure: 0-1, 0 yards

Overall

Vs. 4-man pressure: 14-20, 159 yards, INT; 4 sacks; 1 rush, 3 yards
Vs. 5-man pressure: 8-12, 69 yards, INT; sack
Vs. 6-man pressure: 1-2 8 yards, TD

WHAT IT MEANT:
It means the Cowboys didn’t feel the need to bring extra guys too often, and that feeling was justifiable. And it also means that with the pass rush starting to produce, four guys is often all it takes to get to the quarterback. The Ellis/Spencer/Ware triumvirate was on the field more on Sunday than ever before, and it forced confusion up and down the Giants line. Plus, the coaches seem to be getting more creative in sending inside linebackers and defensive backs, which seems to be a function of their comfort level in dropping the outside linebackers to cover (and even a certain nose tackle we’ll discuss in Tale of the Tape.) What you’re seeing now is the beauty of a 3-4. When it’s operating correctly, and you have versatile linebackers playing within it, it becomes very difficult to identify where the rush is coming from at what time, and that allows the defense to create pressure without compromising coverage.

Posted by Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 2:28 PM (E-mail this entry) Permalink | Comments (2)

Giants rush analysis

Here's a look at how the Giants – kings of the sack in the NFL – came at Tony Romo on his 29 pass drops Sunday. We’ll adhere to Wade Phillips’ ruling, and only count one sack, since the other was clearly a busted running play:

3-man pressure: 0 of 29 snaps (0/0)
4-man pressure: 18 of 29 snaps (11/7)
5-man pressure: 5 of 29 snaps (1/4)
6-man pressure: 5 of 29 snaps (4/1)
7-man pressure: 0 of 29 snaps (0/0)
8-man pressure: 1 of 29 snaps (1/0)

ROMO NUMBERS

First Half

Vs. 4-man pressure: 8-10, 81 yards, INT, Sack
Vs. 5-man pressure: 1-1, 11 yards
Vs. 6-man pressure: 1-4, 12 yards, TD
Vs. 8-man pressure: 1-1, 20 yards, TD

Second half

Vs. 4-man pressure: 6-7, 113 yards, 2 TD
Vs. 5-man pressure: 3-4, 32 yards
Vs. 6-man pressure: 0-1, 0 yards
Vs. 8-man pressure: N/A

Overall

Vs. 4-man pressure: 14-17, 194 yards, 2 TD, INT, Sack
Vs. 5-man pressure: 4-5, 43 yards
Vs. 6-man pressure: 1-5, 12 yards, TD
Vs. 8-man pressure: 1-1, 20 yards, TD

WHAT IT MEANT:
What it means is that, for one, as good a job as the Cowboys line did, the Giants front still got to Tony Romo. But it also means that it took extra rushers to get there, which is a credit to the guys up front. We’ll have more on this in Tale of the Tape, but it was pretty obvious that early on, the Cowboys needed to keep extra guys in to handle what the Giants were throwing at them. Once they did that, they were fine. It also means, as Wade Phillips intimated during the week, that Steve Spagnuolo has veered a bit from his Philly roots. This was probably one of the Giants’ more blitz-heavy games all year. And still, they brought extra rushers on just 11 of 29 passing plays. There were some wrinkles on the Cowboys ended to handle all of it, keeping extra blockers in and, as we’ve written here, limiting Jason Witten a little bit as a receiver. We’ll cover all of that in a bit.

Posted by Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 2:05 PM (E-mail this entry) Permalink | Comments (4)

Personnel breakdown

Here’s our breakdown of the personnel that was on the field Sunday for the Cowboys’ 54 plays from scrimmage. And I, for one, am really hoping that everything’s OK with my boy Timmy Mac.

I mean, from looking at his posts today, I kinda wonder if someone keyed his car, or if his dog took some “liberties” with the couch upholstery. Geez. I bet he wasn’t complaining around these parts as a young guy when the NFC was dominating Super Bowls and bringing shame upon the AFC for about 15 years there. The shoe’s on the other foot now and … well, on to more important matters:

1 RB/1 TE/3 WR (‘11’ personnel): 19 of 54 snaps (12 first half/7 second half)
2 RB/2 TE/1 WR (‘22’ personnel): 15 of 54 snaps (4/11)
1 RB/2 TE/2 WR (‘12’ personnel): 10 of 54 snaps (7/3)
2 RB/1 TE/2 WR (‘21’ personnel): 9 of 54 snaps (2/7)
1 RB/3 TE/0 WR (‘13’ personnel): 1 of 55 snaps (1/0)

WHAT IT MEANT:
For the most part, it was strictly situational. The Cowboys’ number of snaps with two tight ends and two backs was padded in the fourth quarter, with Dallas lining up in that look on half their snaps (8-of-16) in the final 15 minutes. Meanwhile, the abundance of ‘11’ personnel came with the two-minute drive at the end of the first half producing seven straight snaps out of that combination of players. Aside from that, some of the minus plays and no-gainers produced by the Giants’ defense forced the Cowboys into passing situations in general, which dictated bringing “lighter” personnel on the field. The only other thing of note is the more even distribution this week between ‘12’ and ‘21’ personnel. The last few weeks, the Cowboys have been heavier on ‘12’ personnel, and seeing more ‘21’ is likely due to the return of Oliver Hoyte to the lineup.

Posted by Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 1:39 PM (E-mail this entry) Permalink | Comments (6)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
So does all that mean that the Cowboys are good, or what?

:confused:

(i ain't reading all that)

:laugh2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
5Stars;1764570 said:
So does all that mean that the Cowboys are good, or what?

:confused:

(i ain't reading all that)
Just read the "What it Meant" sections. They're pretty good in summarizing the stats.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
theogt;1764573 said:
Just read the "What it Meant" sections. They're pretty good in summarizing the stats.

That is smart football, and it's a good thing that the Cowboys have all that young backup that can come into the game and not miss a beat... they have depth...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
What you’re seeing now is the beauty of a 3-4. When it’s operating correctly, and you have versatile linebackers playing within it, it becomes very difficult to identify where the rush is coming from at what time, and that allows the defense to create pressure without compromising coverage.
You shoulda been here last year, Albert.

But speaking of all this, did anyone notice how often Newman blitzed last week? I bet it was three or four times. That surprised me given Wade's "Have them do what they do best" theme.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
I think this was the first game our defense really played the 3-4 the way Wade wants it to be played. If you can sum it up in one word I would call it CONFUSION.

Those delay of games were mainly attributed to the fact Eli and crew had a hard time identifying who was the mike lb or just flat out where the hell these guys are going to line up. In Wade's 3-4 they love to change the position during the cadence. It is confusing enough when you don't know which olb is going to rush but couple that with the other players shifting about even Greg Ellis said he doesn't know where he is going to end up on some plays.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
rexrobinson;1764654 said:
I think this was the first game our defense really played the 3-4 the way Wade wants it to be played. If you can sum it up in one word I would call it CONFUSION.

Those delay of games were mainly attributed to the fact Eli and crew had a hard time identifying who was the mike lb or just flat out where the hell these guys are going to line up. In Wade's 3-4 they love to change the position during the cadence. It is confusing enough when you don't know which olb is going to rush but couple that with the other players shifting about even Greg Ellis said he doesn't know where he is going to end up on some plays.

Yes!

And guess what? The best is yet to come...

:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
we killed the vaunted 4-DE line, they got 2 sacks, well 1, but overall we did great

or is the 4-man rush not indicating the 4 DEs on the line?

rexrobinson

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1764744 said:
we killed the vaunted 4-DE line, they got 2 sacks, well 1, but overall we did great

or is the 4-man rush not indicating the 4 DEs on the line?

Who knows, I guess if we have to play them in a third game during the playoffs we will hear every excuse and reason their "gritz blitiz" couldn't get to Tony Romo.

According to Giants fans we would be attending Tony Romo's funeral today.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1764744 said:
I don't think they've taken away that sack after all.

At least, nfl.com still has Osi with 9.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I enjoy reading Breer's article and analysis. He is one of rare Cowboys writer who provides substance in his articles and great breakdown of a game.