DMN Blog: Can we get some pressure?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
12:19 PM Tue, Oct 21, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips
Tank Johnson is on to something when it comes to the defense.

Pressure.

The Cowboys need to send DeMarcus Ware and Greg Ellis on almost every play and cause havoc in the pocket. Sending a cornerback on a blitz can also help out, but with Terence Newman out and with rookie Mike Jenkins still learning, that's doubtful. But pressure helps.

Here's Tank: "We've got to be able to bring Greg Ellis and DeMarcus Ware off the edge every time. Every single time because those two are the best in the business and that's going to make our whole entire defense a lot more simple."

ddh33

Reaction score
I have to admit, it's weird seeing Greg Ellis in coverage. I know Ware can do at times, but I don't even like him doing that because he makes his money getting to the QB. When Greg is going backwards, things are scary...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess the Pacman stuff has died down enough for 'Puxatawny Johnson' to re-emerge from his hole.

Here's an idea Tank:

You stop the run and let the others worry about pressure.

Maybe then Steven Jackson doesn't run for 160 and 3 TD's.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ddh33;2362796 said:
I have to admit, it's weird seeing Greg Ellis in coverage. I know Ware can do at times, but I don't even like him doing that because he makes his money getting to the QB. When Greg is going backwards, things are scary...
Why can't the coaches figure that out?:confused:

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Tank Johnson stinks. He got overpowered when the Colts ran the ball down his throat when he played for the bears in the Super Bowl.

Why anyone would think he'd make a difference here as a 3-4 NT is beyond me, but Jerry sees a name player and has to have it.

Jason Ferguson is twice as good as "Terry" Johnson is.

khiladi

Reaction score
parcells316;2362818 said:
Tank Johnson stinks. He got overpowered when the Colts ran the ball down his throat when he played for the bears in the Super Bowl.

Why anyone would think he'd make a difference here as a 3-4 NT is beyond me, but Jerry sees a name player and has to have it.

Jason Ferguson is twice as good as "Terry" Johnson is.

He was brought in because he is quick off the block and can bring pass pressure. There is a reason he is brought in during passing situations. He wasn't brought in for his run defense.

Reaction score
Ellis and Ware are the best at getting after the QB, that's why they should be rushing the passer every play.