DMN Blog: Cowboys expecting horrible conditions at Heinz Field

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2:03 PM Mon, Dec 01, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Heinz Field had a new grass surface put in before last week's West Virginia-Pitt game, but the Cowboys are still expecting the worst when they play is what is forecasted to be a wintry mix Sunday. A late-season grass installation last year was a complete disaster.

"It's the worst field in the league," backup NT Tank Johnson said. "At some point in the next few years, I think they're going to have to go to something different. It's a homefield advantage for them. It's slippery, it's sloppy."

Tank made it clear that the Cowboys weren't making excuses. They're just getting themselves mentally prepared for poor conditions, although today's practice was indoors.

TE Jason Witten mentioned how important the running game would be on a bad field. He's optimistic that Marion Barber would be available to bang away despite a bum toe.

"Marion's one of the toughest guys I've seen or I've played with," Witten said. "I would be surprised if he doesn't go. That's not to put pressure on him. I just know his mentality."

Comments (5) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
I can't believe the NFL hasn't stepped in and required them to do something about that ****-hole they call a field.

I can understand it when there are extreme conditions, but that field is just terrible.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Bill Wooten;2455651 said:
I can't believe the NFL hasn't stepped in and required them to do something about that ****-hole they call a field.

I can understand it when there are extreme conditions, but that field is just terrible.

The Rooneys have incredible clout with the NFL-actually, the OWN the NFL.:bang2:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Bill Wooten;2455651 said:

They never did with Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia and that field was dangerous! It was so bad that they actually canceled a pre-season game there.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
That field has been terrible since day 1. The NFL needs to step in and force them to go to field turf or some type of synthetic surface. Or hire a decent grounds keeper. :D

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CrazyCowboy;2455667 said:
We must be ready for horrible....and hope for better.

I'd like nothing better than to bat the Steelers around on their own crappy field.

This Dallas team isn't a finesse team. Some people consider it one b/c they have such a good passing offense, but this is the same group of guys teams have been complaining about playing the last two years. We're big, and deep. We have a 2TE set where both players can block and get downfield, and we're bringing in two bruising RBs and probably the biggest 3 WR offense in the league. Our QB has DL running themselves ragged every game, and our DL rotation is legitimately 2-deep at each position. More importantly, this is exactly the kind of game we may have to win on the road in the playoffs. I say bring it on.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Sounds great...we just need to bury their bootays in the mud. Get the running game going.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2455663 said:
That field has been terrible since day 1. The NFL needs to step in and force them to go to field turf or some type of synthetic surface. Or hire a decent grounds keeper. :D

Maybe they have a varment cong problem.

[youtube]Bv87T1CQF8E[/youtube]

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Maybe if they wouldnt play so many games on there it would hold up better. Sounds like the high schools play on it also.

FCBarca

Reaction score
It's strange, this happens in other sports too (The potato patch at Stamford Bridge)...I just wonder whether there is a governing body to regulate the level of a field for play...Seems like there seems to be no rhyme or reason for how a field can be to deem it playable let alone safe

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
If I see any injuries happen because of this godforsaken field... I'm be pissed!!!

:steelers:

btcutter

Reaction score
Sounds just like 92 Cowboys@Niners NFC champ game.

Pass to score first when the field is still in good shape for WR/TE and make them play catchup. 2nd half...run..run...short pass...run.....

goshan

Reaction score
I don't think we will be able to run the ball at all. So we need to come up with some 'mud friendly' passing plays.

Reaction score
Idgit;2455756 said:
I'd like nothing better than to bat the Steelers around on their own crappy field.

This Dallas team isn't a finesse team. Some people consider it one b/c they have such a good passing offense, but this is the same group of guys teams have been complaining about playing the last two years. We're big, and deep. We have a 2TE set where both players can block and get downfield, and we're bringing in two bruising RBs and probably the biggest 3 WR offense in the league. Our QB has DL running themselves ragged every game, and our DL rotation is legitimately 2-deep at each position. More importantly, this is exactly the kind of game we may have to win on the road in the playoffs. I say bring it on.

+1

sure owens/ Williams may be fast guys but they're BIG too,,,

joseephuss

Reaction score
Didn't the Patriots use to have trouble keeping their real grass field in good condition? Now they play on FieldTurf or some other synthetic field.

arglebargle

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2455641 said:
2:03 PM Mon, Dec 01, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

TE Jason Witten mentioned how important the running game would be on a bad field. He's optimistic that Marion Barber would be available to bang away despite a bum toe.

"Marion's one of the toughest guys I've seen or I've played with," Witten said. "I would be surprised if he doesn't go. That's not to put pressure on him. I just know his mentality."

Comments (5) Leave comment | E-mail entry

You know, when Witten calls you tough, you should get some sort of award.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Idgit;2455756 said:

Good post! :bow: