DMN Blog: Cowboys get pass rushers free out of 3-3 look

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
11:16 AM Wed, Nov 26, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

There was a stunning play on San Francisco's first offensive series Sunday: DeMarcus Ware missed a sack despite going unblocked.

We'll chalk up Ware's whiff on QB Shaun Hill as a fluke. The fact that he came clean was not. Credit Wade Phillips and Co. for figuring out a way to have the NFC's sacks leader be ignored by a blocking scheme.

It was another case of the Cowboys creating havoc with a variation of their nickel package that uses a 3-3 front, often moving the linebackers around just before the snap to attack the weak points in the opponent's pass protection.

"We try to attack protections and we try to get one-on-one matchups with certain people," Phillips said. "They have to identify the four people that are coming and the middle linebacker and the hots and so forth. We study that and say, 'We can get this guy on this guy, or we can get somebody free.' We try to get somebody free, but you can't always do that."

They got somebody free twice Sunday. On the third-and-long play minutes into the game, Ware and Kevin Burnett both lined up on the same side, outside of left DE Greg Ellis. With that side overloaded and the Niners in a multi-receiver set, there simply wasn't anybody to pick up Ware, who lined up outside Burnett. Same thing happened later with FS Ken Hamlin, who lined up outside Burnett on the left side and came clean to sack Hill and force a fumble.

The Cowboys unveiled the look last season, using it to put Anthony Spencer on the field with Ware and Ellis. Spencer isn't part of it now, with the coaches opting to use their regular nickel personnel, meaning Bradie James joins Burnett and Ware as the linebackers.

Phillips has cracked that it's a "mill-around defense" because of the linebackers' pre-snap movement. It might look like freelancing, but the milling around is carefully timed to mess with the offense's mind as much as possible.

"You just try to create some confusion as far as the offensive line calls," James said.

That's how a guy like DeMarcus Ware can go untouched.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2444437 said:
11:16 AM Wed, Nov 26, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

There was a stunning play on San Francisco's first offensive series Sunday: DeMarcus Ware missed a sack despite going unblocked.

We'll chalk up Ware's whiff on QB Shaun Hill as a fluke. The fact that he came clean was not. Credit Wade Phillips and Co. for figuring out a way to have the NFC's sacks leader be ignored by a blocking scheme.

It was another case of the Cowboys creating havoc with a variation of their nickel package that uses a 3-3 front, often moving the linebackers around just before the snap to attack the weak points in the opponent's pass protection.

"We try to attack protections and we try to get one-on-one matchups with certain people," Phillips said. "They have to identify the four people that are coming and the middle linebacker and the hots and so forth. We study that and say, 'We can get this guy on this guy, or we can get somebody free.' We try to get somebody free, but you can't always do that."

They got somebody free twice Sunday. On the third-and-long play minutes into the game, Ware and Kevin Burnett both lined up on the same side, outside of left DE Greg Ellis. With that side overloaded and the Niners in a multi-receiver set, there simply wasn't anybody to pick up Ware, who lined up outside Burnett. Same thing happened later with FS Ken Hamlin, who lined up outside Burnett on the left side and came clean to sack Hill and force a fumble.

The Cowboys unveiled the look last season, using it to put Anthony Spencer on the field with Ware and Ellis. Spencer isn't part of it now, with the coaches opting to use their regular nickel personnel, meaning Bradie James joins Burnett and Ware as the linebackers.

Phillips has cracked that it's a "mill-around defense" because of the linebackers' pre-snap movement. It might look like freelancing, but the milling around is carefully timed to mess with the offense's mind as much as possible.

"You just try to create some confusion as far as the offensive line calls," James said.

That's how a guy like DeMarcus Ware can go untouched.

There is no doubt there is a difference with Wade calling the plays than Stewart.

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
I love these new looks Wade keeps bringing. Can't wait to see what he has in store for the Hawks tomorrow.

slick325

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2444458 said:
There is no doubt there is a difference with Wade calling the plays than Stewart.

Very true. Glad the light finally came on for Wade and he realized that if he didn't take over on defense, the season was over and so was his tenure as Head Coach.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
A 3-3 look??

Innovation on defense?
leading to unpredictability?

Whoahhh... wait a sec......

Not sure if I like that????????????

:D j/k
Come on Wade... I could learn to love your hiring ;)

JPM

Reaction score
SteveOS;2444493 said:
I love these new looks Wade keeps bringing. Can't wait to see what he has in store for the Hawks tomorrow.
I really want to see this when we play the Giants. Here's to hoping Eli has that confused look on the sidelines during that game.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Wow!!

5 Hours - only 7 posts.
300+ views

I thought the defense was such a concern for all.... I thought this thread would have more added to it by now

hmmmmmmmmmm

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2444458 said:

just makes you wonder what the hell Wade has been doing for almost 1 and a half years

this is what had me stoked about the Phillips' hiring, creativity on D like we've been seeing lately

IlliniNation

Reaction score
Yea, if anyone has a clip or picture of the look I'd love to see it. I am a high school defensive coordinator. The 3-3 look is becoming very popular in high school. Some schools use a 3-5 and others a 3-3 with 5 DB's.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2444929 said:
just makes you wonder what the hell Wade has been doing for almost 1 and a half years

this is what had me stoked about the Phillips' hiring, creativity on D like we've been seeing lately

I was thinking the same, my question is why wasn't this happening from day 1

Kilyin

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the play, right before the snap. It's hard to see Ware but he rushes from the far edge.

defense.jpg

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Living in NY, I didn't see the Niner game. I have been waiting for 1 1/2 years to see creativity out of Wade's defense. Made me wonder why we even brought him here.

Kilyin

Reaction score
And a quick gif I whipped up. I'd post a video on youtube or something but I think they'd ban my account.

defense.gif

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
Kilyin;2445069 said:
Here's a pic of the play, right before the snap. It's hard to see Ware but he rushes from the far edge.

defense.jpg

You know what I see?

I see Henry and his wooden legs playing 8 yards off the receiver...again.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
YoMick;2444921 said:
Wow!!

5 Hours - only 7 posts.
300+ views

I thought the defense was such a concern for all.... I thought this thread would have more added to it by now

hmmmmmmmmmm
A couple hundred of those views are mine. I just keep coming back to see Halle in your sig pic.:lmao2: