DMN Blog: Cowboys-Giants Pre-game chat...looks like Barber's a go/Austin, too

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Giants-Cowboys pregame chat

5:00 PM Sun, Dec 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Click the box below and fire away with your questions. We'll start firing back at about 5:30.

Link: http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2008/12/giants-cowboys-pregame-chat.html

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
[Comment From Troy] Is Barber going to play?
5:28 Calvin Watkins: Looks that way. Barber has just taken two hand offs. Skip Peete and Jason Garrett are watching him go right now.
5:28 Calvin Watkins: Barber just took a swing pass. Looks good.
5:29 Brian Davis: Yes, Marion Barber is out there working out under the watchful eye of Skip Peete and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. He just caught a swing pass. I'm guessing he's going.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5:28 Calvin Watkins: Looks that way. Barber has just taken two hand offs. Skip Peete and Jason Garrett are watching him go right now.

5:28 Calvin Watkins: Barber just took a swing pass. Looks good.

5:29 Brian Davis: Yes, Marion Barber is out there working out under the watchful eye of Skip Peete and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. He just caught a swing pass. I'm guessing he's going.

5:29 [Comment From Mike]
Ant fights in the lockerrom before the game yet?

5:29 Calvin Watkins: Nope. I think everything has settled down.

5:29 Brian Davis: Now, now. Be nice. We're going to be as nice as possible handling what is a situation spiraling out of control. It's like T-N-T, baby.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I went ahead and created a Barber thread, just cause some people might not click on this one.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I think we just bring too many weapons into this game

Barber's back, and hopefully with our newfound weapon, Tashard Choicce

Austin is back

we're going to be too much to handle

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2490033 said:
I went ahead and created a Barber thread, just cause some people might not click on this one.
And I merged it, cuz I'd already changed the thread title...

5:32
[Comment From Dennis]
Any word on if Barber will be able to go tonight or will it be Choice the entire game?
5:33
Calvin Watkins: I would expect Barber to start. But Choice will get some carries. He deserves them.

5:33
Brian Davis: Barber definitely looks like he's going to play. But if he can't go 100 percent, the Cowboys shouldn't hesitate to go with Tashard Choice. The guy had 88 yards against the Steelers' No. 1-ranked run defense last week. I thought he was pretty darn good considering the circumstances.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5:35 [Comment From Terri]
Is Austin going to play?

5:36 Brian Davis: Miles Austin practiced this week, and he's supposed to play. They're probably have him out there returning kicks and/or punts.

5:36 Calvin Watkins: Yes. I think the coaches were surprised to see his improvement this week. Austin is a speed threat the Cowboys have missed the last few weeks. I'm not sure what kind of impact he will have tonight.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2490034 said:

Austin is back

Romo's gotta throw the ball to our guys though, and avoid the costly fumbles when the Giants bring pressure

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2490062 said:
Romo's gotta throw the ball to our guys though, and avoid the costly fumbles when the Giants bring pressure

true that

and Garrett is going to have to ask our WRs to run some shorter routes

I want to see alot of the shotgun and 4 wides tonight, spread the D and give Romo a headstart on scanning the field

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Romo doesn't even have to be spectacular.. just be decent and avoid the turnovers

in for checkdown Romo (at least)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5:44 [Comment From Derek]
Any word on Keith Davis and Hamlin's injuries?

5:45 Calvin Watkins: KD and Hammy are expected to play tonight. KD has a sprained ligament in is knee and Hammy has that ankle sprain. KD is the serious of the two and I'm sure he will get shot up before the game.

5:45 Brian Davis: Keith Davis hobbled out of the complex on Friday. When asked if he would be ready to go, he said, "I hope so." The guy is a gamer. Hamlin kept a low profile last week, but he'll probably go tonight. Both guys may not be feeling any pain come game time, though.

5:46
Brian Davis: Field update: Terrell Owens just hit the field to mixed cheers and boos. There are a ton of flashbulbs going off for him, too.

5:47
Calvin Watkins: Got a mixed reaction here from T.O. as he ran onto the field. Lots of flashbulbs. To answer the question. The 90s teams had issues. Major issues.

Eskimo

Reaction score
The key will be the OL and compensating for Proctor - if we can give him the help he needs and Romo plays okay we should be able to score points. Then it will be up to the defense to control the Giants running game which has been fierce most of the year. It helps us a bit that Jacobs is out but Ward/Bradshaw aren't exactly slouches.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
I love me some Keith Davis.
Great News on Barber, I wouldn't feature him though.
I would start Choice, because of Barbers injury only.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2490034 said:

Austin is back

The amount of weapons we have on this offense is ridiculous.

Garrett needs to get his head out of his arse and put together a game plan that gets EVERYONE involved.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Achozen;2490117 said:
The amount of weapons we have on this offense is ridiculous.

Garrett needs to get his head out of his arse and put together a game plan that gets EVERYONE involved.

The issue hasn't been the skill players - it has been the line. When we have blocking (and Romo) we put up big points. The only real flash we saw this year of what our offense could be firing on all cylinders was the Philly game with Kosier in there. Washington with Kosier wasn't great because of Romo's injury. SF game wasn't great because Kosier was off that day as he re-injured his foot during the game. Seattle game was pretty good but it was Holland's first start. The Pittsburgh game was going pretty good considering the wind condition and the strength of the opponent until Holland went down.

I would seriously make upgrading the depth of the OL as the #1 priority next year. I really still wish we hadn't panicked with the RW trade and still had a #1 pick to use on the best swing G/T or C/G available. Fixing the position will pay more dividends for the offense than upgradiung the #2 WR - and I really wonder if RW is really going to be much better than Miles Austin next year anyway.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
6:05
[Comment From marc]
Eli or Tony?
6:05
Calvin Watkins: Eli. He's won a Super Bowl and he has more talent.

Watkins is an absolute idiot.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The pregame chat is a joke...legitimate questions get passed up for "Whose the best WR in Texas?"

Come on this is Cowboys pre-game not Texas Tech pregame.