DMN: Blog: Cowboys next signing should be?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Cowboys next signing should be?

5:16 PM Fri, Dec 14, 2007 | Permalink
Todd Archer

The Cowboys have taken care of Tony Romo and now Jay Ratliff before they could test any kind of free agency.

Who's next?

Patrick Crayton? Ken Hamlin? Flozell Adams? They are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents when the season ends.

Marion Barber? Chris Canty? They are scheduled to be restricted free agents when the season ends?

Terence Newman? Terrell Owens? They are scheduled to be free agents after the '08 season.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Lock up Ratliff, Hamlin, Barber, Canty, and Newman...

Franchise Flo next year...and maybe the year after as well.

I like Crayton, but he can be replaced in the draft...maybe Stanbach, or lower priced FA...I prefer draft.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I wish I knew how McQ is playing.......so I'm on hold for now with Flo.

I like to see Barber, Canty, Hamlin......plus Owens and Newman"s contract extended.

Also, if we can resign Crayton for a decent price ..do it.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
eduncan22;1833261 said:
Why did Jerry let this happen?

:confused:
Let what happen?

Re-sign Barber, Canty, Hamlin

Crayton, depends on his price.

btcutter

Reaction score
Try to take care of the unrestricted free agents first. He can always tender 1st round offers for restricted players.

Flo stays. When you got a pro bowler, why would you let him go unless you know for certain someone within is good enough to replace him. LT does not grow on tree and they cost a bundle.

Like to see Hamlin stay as well. He will get paid but probably not as much as he think he should. FS just does not command as much but then it's FA, who knows.

Crayton is very underrated in my opinion. We all kinda think we can replace him but the guy has hand like superglue and has a knack to find openings down the middle and around the endzone. He deserves some love and some $$.

I think Canty and Barber will get signed maybe not this yr but they will. TO likely will return. Where else is he going to find an organization that is willing to pay him and has a QB that's willing to throw him the rock. Furthermore, he is 33 going to 34.....who wants the headache....right now I can't think of one.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cbz40;1833259 said:
I wish I knew how McQ is playing.......so I'm on hold for now with Flo.

I like to see Barber, Canty, Hamlin......plus Owens and Newman"s contract extended.

Also, if we can resign Crayton for a decent price ..do it.

McQ won't be a restricted FA next year anyway. At worst he'd be an exclusive rights FA so we won't be losing him (unless we want to).

Barber and Canty are restricted. It would be difficult to lose them.

We don't have to extend Owens and Newman till we're already into next season. No rush there.

Crayton is the only UFA on your list.

The Panch

Reaction score
Im kinda torn on Crayton. He doesnt put any fear in the defense and doesnt get open too often, but he makes some crucial plays down the stretch and its hard for me to say no to a Metroplex born guy. As long as he doesnt get too demanding and know a huge part of his success is the Owens/Witten fear factor, I'd like seeing him with a star on his helmet for a long while.

dallasfan

Reaction score
I would do the RFAs last. I'd tender them the highest offers and dare someone to bite (1rst and 3rd rounder). Hamlin should be priority #1. We've been looking for a FS ever since Woodson retired, so why let him walk? Next I'd sign Crayton. If he leaves we almost have to draft a WR with our first pick. IMO, it would be better not needing anything going into the draft. Flozzell can be franchised if a deal can't be met, so there's no real urgency. I'm also not too woried about TO. He knows Jerry will give him his money.

DemonBlood

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1833385 said:
I am totally lost here, what did Jerry let happen???

I think he means why did Jerry let all these contracts come up so close to each other....But knowing eduncan, he really meant why did Jerry let Henry have the last donut. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Re-sign Barber, Hamlin, Canty. I think that Flozell will get franchised and let Pat McQ get another year experience before starting.

I deffinately feel they should resign Crayton, I dont think that hes tryin to make a name for himself as a free agent. I think that when it comes down to it hes a hometown guy and would rather stay on one of the best offenses in the league.

Thanks Jerry for showing Ratliff some love. I saw Ware the other day on NFLN and he said that Ratliff was one of biggest parts of their defense and the most underrated. Whats gonna happen to Ferg?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic;1833247 said:
Lock up Ratliff, Hamlin, Barber, Canty, and Newman...

Franchise Flo next year...and maybe the year after as well.

I like Crayton, but he can be replaced in the draft...maybe Stanbach, or lower priced FA...I prefer draft.

Franchising Flo may be a bit much. Although he's in a weird position where it may be perfect for him.

I'd re-sign Crayton. He knows the system and he's a good #3 and a good enough #2. I just don't see what it can hurt to re-sign him to a reasonable extension. If you want a better receiver, keep him around and see what you can hit in the draft.

Thankfully we have enough cap room to comfortably re-sign everybody.

YAKUZA

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
DemonBlood666;1833403 said:
I think he means why did Jerry let all these contracts come up so close to each other....But knowing eduncan, he really meant why did Jerry let Henry have the last donut. :rolleyes:

But it is the norm for 10-15 players out of 53 to have their contracts up, just look at the free agent list for the other teams.

In fact, Jerry has done an OUTSTANDING job with contracts, we have probably the fewest UFA in the league next year.