DMN Blog: Cowboys ready for the screen test

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
9:22 AM Fri, Oct 02, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer/Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

The Cowboys have spent a lot of time working against the screen pass this week. According to DeMarcus Ware, the Broncos have run 19 screens in four games, including the preseason.

It's a Josh McDaniels' staple from his days in New England.

"They do run quite a few screens," coach Wade Phillips said. "Partly it's kind of their running game too, the short passing game. I mean they did in New England. Charlie Weis was a big screen guy. It's just their formula to keep you off balance. And they run wide receiver screens, halfback screens, tight end screens. It's similar to the New England offense they've been running for a long time."

The linemen and linebackers have to be patient in defending the screen, but not too patient that it ruins the attack.

"It could be great for you if you get a great rush and keep the rush off of you," Phillips said. "That's what people do to keep the rush off them."

Comments (1) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Wide receiver screens scare the poop out of me.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
"It could be great for you if you get a great rush and keep the rush off of you," Phillips said. "That's what people do to keep the rush off them."
---------

Hey Wade, if that is the case. Why doesnt Dallas run em very often?

We should run one or two a game, seems like when we do they are pretty successful.

reddyuta

Reaction score
we absolutely suck at defending the screen.we better be ready.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
LOL at the last minute or so of Wade's PC... He was asked about the corners tackling in space on all the quick WR screens the Broncos like, and he said they'd worked a lot on on that but also -- serious as can be -- "you want to funnel them inside where those big linebackers can come and knock the hell out of them."

Wade seemed kind of crotchety today.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2984523 said:
LOL at the last minute or so of Wade's PC... He was asked about the corners tackling in space on all the quick WR screens the Broncos like, and he said they'd worked a lot on on that but also -- serious as can be -- "you want to funnel them inside where those big linebackers can come and knock the hell out of them."

Wade seemed kind of crotchety today.
:bow: :laugh2:

Frozen700

Reaction score
we may have to play a little zone for that then........cover 2 or 3....for all this short passing stuff

or man 2 man with tight coverage....but bring the blitz, from the outsides

so look for Zone or Bump and run coverage