DMN Blog: Dallas D wasn't more aggressive, just more effective

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10:19 AM Tue, Oct 28, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Several key members of the Dallas defense attributed their unit's outstanding performance against Tampa Bay to better energy and execution. Wade Phillips agreed.

They insisted that there was a good game plan, but they didn't do anything against the Bucs that was a drastic departure from what they'd been doing all season from a scheme standpoint.

"It's not any different than what we've been playing," Phillips said Monday. "We've been playing aggressive. That's our style."

In fact, a review of the tape reveals that the Cowboys were actually less aggressive against the Bucs than they were against the Cardinals in terms of bringing extra pass rushers. (Follow the jump for evidence.)

I counted the Cowboys bringing five or more rushers 13 times in each game. But the Bucs dropped back to pass 50 times (seven more than the Cardinals), so the Cowboys came with an extra rusher or two or three a higher percentage of the time in Arizona.

The breakdowns:

ARIZONA

3-man rush (2) - 2-of-2, 9 yards

4-man rush (18) - 13-of-16, 148 yards, 1 INT, 1 sack, 1 penalty

5-man rush (8) - 4-of-7, 52 yards, 1 TD, 1 fumbled snap

6-man rush (4) - 2-of-4, 27 yards, 1 TD

7-man rush (1) - 1-of-1, 2 yards, 1 TD

TAMPA BAY

4-man rush (37) - 22-of-33, 140 yards, 3 penalties, 1 6-yard scramble

5-man rush (12) - 6-of-10, 88 yards, 2 sacks

6-man rush (1) - 0-of-1

A huge difference, obviously, was that the Cowboys were much stingier when coming with a four-man rush against the Bucs than the Cardinals. Tampa Bay had twice as many passing attempts than Arizona against the four-man rush but gained eight fewer yards.

Arizona's Kurt Warner also did an outstanding job of getting rid of the ball quickly and giving his receivers a chance to make plays when the Cowboys brought extra pressure. Of course, it helps when you have a guy like Larry Fitzgerald who can turn an underthrown pass into a 39-yard gain by outjumping the cornerback. The Cowboys brought five on that play, with Jay Ratliff unloading on Warner as he threw the ball.

While the Cowboys didn't blitz much against the Bucs, blitzes did pay off in key situations. FS Ken Hamlin blitzed only twice - coming free and hitting Garcia to force third-down incompletions both times.

The first Hamlin blitz came on third-and-3 from the Dallas 42 in the first quarter. With the Cowboys in the nickel, LB Kevin Burnett shot the gap between the left guard and tackle, forcing the RB to pick him up and allowing Hamlin to go untouched on a delayed blitz off the edge. Just before Hamlin hammered his blindside, Garcia threw up a prayer down the sideline to Antonio Bryant, who was blanketed in press coverage by Anthony Henry and had no chance to make a catch.

The second Hamlin blitz came on third-and-3 from the Tampa Bay 49 with about 10 minutes to go in the game. Dallas was lined up in its Cowboy package, a 3-3 look that frees up DeMarcus Ware to roam around before picking an attack point just before the snap. The Bucs were so worried about Ware coming off the right edge that they couldn't pick up Hamlin coming from the other side. He hit Garcia again, causing a low pass to WR Michael Clayton on a slant and protecting the Cowboys' four-point lead.

The Cowboys didn't blitz more against the Bucs. You could argue that they blitzed smarter. They definitely blitzed better.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2380435 said:
10:19 AM Tue, Oct 28, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Several key members of the Dallas defense attributed their unit's outstanding performance against Tampa Bay to better energy and execution. Wade Phillips agreed.

They insisted that there was a good game plan, but they didn't do anything against the Bucs that was a drastic departure from what they'd been doing all season from a scheme standpoint.

"It's not any different than what we've been playing," Phillips said Monday. "We've been playing aggressive. That's our style."

In fact, a review of the tape reveals that the Cowboys were actually less aggressive against the Bucs than they were against the Cardinals in terms of bringing extra pass rushers. (Follow the jump for evidence.)

I counted the Cowboys bringing five or more rushers 13 times in each game. But the Bucs dropped back to pass 50 times (seven more than the Cardinals), so the Cowboys came with an extra rusher or two or three a higher percentage of the time in Arizona.

The breakdowns:

ARIZONA

3-man rush (2) - 2-of-2, 9 yards

4-man rush (18) - 13-of-16, 148 yards, 1 INT, 1 sack, 1 penalty

5-man rush (8) - 4-of-7, 52 yards, 1 TD, 1 fumbled snap

6-man rush (4) - 2-of-4, 27 yards, 1 TD

7-man rush (1) - 1-of-1, 2 yards, 1 TD

TAMPA BAY

4-man rush (37) - 22-of-33, 140 yards, 3 penalties, 1 6-yard scramble

5-man rush (12) - 6-of-10, 88 yards, 2 sacks

6-man rush (1) - 0-of-1

A huge difference, obviously, was that the Cowboys were much stingier when coming with a four-man rush against the Bucs than the Cardinals. Tampa Bay had twice as many passing attempts than Arizona against the four-man rush but gained eight fewer yards.

Arizona's Kurt Warner also did an outstanding job of getting rid of the ball quickly and giving his receivers a chance to make plays when the Cowboys brought extra pressure. Of course, it helps when you have a guy like Larry Fitzgerald who can turn an underthrown pass into a 39-yard gain by outjumping the cornerback. The Cowboys brought five on that play, with Jay Ratliff unloading on Warner as he threw the ball.

While the Cowboys didn't blitz much against the Bucs, blitzes did pay off in key situations. FS Ken Hamlin blitzed only twice - coming free and hitting Garcia to force third-down incompletions both times.

The first Hamlin blitz came on third-and-3 from the Dallas 42 in the first quarter. With the Cowboys in the nickel, LB Kevin Burnett shot the gap between the left guard and tackle, forcing the RB to pick him up and allowing Hamlin to go untouched on a delayed blitz off the edge. Just before Hamlin hammered his blindside, Garcia threw up a prayer down the sideline to Antonio Bryant, who was blanketed in press coverage by Anthony Henry and had no chance to make a catch.

The second Hamlin blitz came on third-and-3 from the Tampa Bay 49 with about 10 minutes to go in the game. Dallas was lined up in its Cowboy package, a 3-3 look that frees up DeMarcus Ware to roam around before picking an attack point just before the snap. The Bucs were so worried about Ware coming off the right edge that they couldn't pick up Hamlin coming from the other side. He hit Garcia again, causing a low pass to WR Michael Clayton on a slant and protecting the Cowboys' four-point lead.

The Cowboys didn't blitz more against the Bucs. You could argue that they blitzed smarter. They definitely blitzed better.

Whatever it was, they are going to need to be like that again and than some against the Giants!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
There's no doubt whatsoever the D WAS more aggressive. And I'm not talking about the playcalling, I'm talking about the players' demeanor on the field.

Also Wade was wrong when he said "It's not any different than what we've been playing,"...

The playcalling might not have been different, but one thing that was different was we weren't lining up the CBs 12 yards off the ball every play (we did the first quarter+ though).

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Mosley was saying yesterday that there was a safety blitz that had been in the game plan every single week this year, but it wasn't called once until Sunday -- when Hamlin came in and got a couple of hits on Garcia.

It's not how much you blitz, it's having a feel for when to do it and for which ones to call. (And yes of course you have to execute them, but that goes without saying.)

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2380487 said:
Mosley was saying yesterday that there was a safety blitz that had been in the game plan every single week this year, but it wasn't called once until Sunday -- when Hamlin came in and got a couple of hits on Garcia.

It's not how much you blitz, it's having a feel for when to do it and for which ones to call. (And yes of course you have to execute them, but that goes without saying.)

I also noticed Bradie James and Zach Thomas were blitzing the A gap. They had success blitzing the A gap earlier in the season when the Cowboys were 3-0.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2380487 said:

That's dead wrong, as i remember seeing Hamlin on blitzes multiple times before this game.

khiladi

Reaction score
dargonking999;2380505 said:
That's dead wrong, as i remember seeing Hamlin on blitzes multiple times before this game.

Seriously.. What has Mosely been watching?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dargonking999;2380505 said:
Are you sure it was the exact same blitz, though?

And Mosley was told that by someone on the team... He didn't get it on his own from watching.

Anyway, just reporting what he said.

SlwSVT

Reaction score
The difference was our secondary. With the rooks back there, they were more effective!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
superpunk;2380476 said:
Execution/Intensity/Confidence > Scheme. Every time.

W/o a scheme, there's nothing to "Execute".

You can have all the intensity and confidence you want, but if it's not directed/controlled correctly (aka a "Scheme") then it's useless.

superpunk

Reaction score
Rack;2380620 said:
W/o a scheme, there's nothing to "Execute".

You can have all the intensity and confidence you want, but if it's not directed/controlled correctly (aka a "Scheme") then it's useless.
Wow. Amazing revelation.

Duh. FWIW - the ">" symbol in this instance indicates that something is "of greater importance" than another thing - not that the first thing completely negates the need for the second thing.

slick325

Reaction score
Rack;2380467 said:
There's no doubt whatsoever the D WAS more aggressive. And I'm not talking about the playcalling, I'm talking about the players' demeanor on the field.

Also Wade was wrong when he said "It's not any different than what we've been playing,"...

The playcalling might not have been different, but one thing that was different was we weren't lining up the CBs 12 yards off the ball every play (we did the first quarter+ though).

I think you hit the nail on the head here. The fact that Dallas appeared to press cover more helped the pressure be more effective. Garcia didn't have as many backyard pitch and catch opportunities.

Powerdad23

Reaction score
Scandrick and Jenkins made some tackles...unlike Newman and Henry, who can't tackle. The LB's played a decent game. For a change.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2380549 said:
Are you sure it was the exact same blitz, though?

And Mosley was told that by someone on the team... He didn't get it on his own from watching.

Anyway, just reporting what he said.

May not have been the same blitz, but Mosely didn't say that. He said Safety blitz. We have done a safety blitz, and a CB blitz multiple times this season. So either he's got bad reporting, or someone on the team is dumb as nails

And really i can go either way with that.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999;2380972 said:
May not have been the same blitz, but Mosely didn't say that. He said Safety blitz. We have done a safety blitz, and a CB blitz multiple times this season. So either he's got bad reporting, or someone on the team is dumb as nails

And really i can go either way with that.

it's both

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
superpunk;2380634 said:
Wow. Amazing revelation.

Duh. FWIW - the ">" symbol in this instance indicates that something is "of greater importance" than another thing - not that the first thing completely negates the need for the second thing.

Sorry I don't have the ability to read your mind, Nancy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One thing I was glad to see is how the defense adjusted in the game. Early on we would rush Garcia and leave the middle wide open and he would take off. As the game went on those openings in the middle were no longer there for the taking.

khiladi

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2381118 said:
One thing I was glad to see is how the defense adjusted in the game. Early on we would rush Garcia and leave the middle wide open and he would take off. As the game went on those openings in the middle were no longer there for the taking.

Teams that play the Cowboys have been successful at this. It happened plenty against McNabb, where he kept buying time because of openings in the middle. I'm glad to see they adjusted.