DMN: BLOG: Difference between Cowboys and Giants Ds, by Clinton Portis

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
November 12, 2008

Difference between Cowboys and Giants Ds, by Clinton Portis

6:06 PM Wed, Nov 12, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips
Commanders RB Clinton Portis made an appearance on Michael Irvin's ESPN 103.3 show today, saying he couldn't play tomorrow if this game were the Super Bowl but was 50-50 for Sunday. He also provided an expert comparison of the Cowboys and Giants defenses.

"The Giants really don't really hurt themselves. They don't have too many mental lapses or missed assignments. They play assignment football. ...

"As far as Dallas, when you see Dallas and they're not in sync, it's a blown coverage or a blown assignment somewhere. It's obvious because you'll see the guys arguing or looking back at each other as if they didn't know it."

Portis' evaluation of the Cowboys echoes Brandon Jacobs' take from a couple Sundays ago. Jacobs mentioned that he heard a lot of bickering amongst Cowboys.

Sounds like Wade Phillips has a whole lot of fixin' that won't be solved by Tony Romo's return.

Reaction score
Cbz40;2415101 said:
November 12, 2008

Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips
Commanders RB Clinton Portis made an appearance on Michael Irvin's ESPN 103.3 show today, saying he couldn't play tomorrow if this game were the Super Bowl but was 50-50 for Sunday. He also provided an expert comparison of the Cowboys and Giants defenses.

"The Giants really don't really hurt themselves. They don't have too many mental lapses or missed assignments. They play assignment football. ...

"As far as Dallas, when you see Dallas and they're not in sync, it's a blown coverage or a blown assignment somewhere. It's obvious because you'll see the guys arguing or looking back at each other as if they didn't know it."

Portis' evaluation of the Cowboys echoes Brandon Jacobs' take from a couple Sundays ago. Jacobs mentioned that he heard a lot of bickering amongst Cowboys.

Sounds like Wade Phillips has a whole lot of fixin' that won't be solved by Tony Romo's return.

As much as I don't like the Skins, I respect and agree with Portis.

Zman5

Reaction score
This has been going on for long time. Even when Parcells was here. I'm sure coaching has something to do with it but I also think we just have dumb players.

Reaction score
Zman5;2415117 said:
This has been going on for long time. Even when Parcells was here. I'm sure coaching has something to do with it but I also think we just have dumb players.

All about coaching! The players do need to take responsbility for their own actions.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Zman5;2415117 said:

I would have to agree ....the mental capacity of a few of these defensive players is very much in question.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
"Oh, and the fact that the Giants have much, much better players," Portis added.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Cbz40;2415101 said:
November 12, 2008

Portis is running his mouth to much for me IDC if he's from the U someone needs to shut it.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2415132 said:
Portis is running his mouth to much for me IDC if he's from the U someone needs to shut it.

A good showing by the D Sunday night could go a long way in doing just that......actions speak much louder than words.

JBS

Reaction score
first and foremost this is very disheartening to hear. With all the money that is spent on these defensive players you would think they would be smart enough to hold their assignments.

Who on the defensive side of the ball is to blame for these blown assignments. We have heard many many times, be it from the players, the coaches, and now even opposing players about these blown defensive assignments. Anyone know who the main culprits are? I would imagine and this is just a guess that it is the same few players every time. I would not imagine that they are different players every game...maybe a mix of 2 or 3 of them..

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
glorydaysrback;2415143 said:
first and foremost this is very disheartening to hear. With all the money that is spent on these defensive players you would think they would be smart enough to hold their assignments.

Who on the defensive side of the ball is to blame for these blown assignments. We have heard many many times, be it from the players, the coaches, and now even opposing players about these blown defensive assignments. Anyone know who the main culprits are? I would imagine and this is just a guess that it is the same few players every time. I would not imagine that they are different players every game...maybe a mix of 2 or 3 of them..

My guess:

Hamlin, James (not so much mental lapse, as it is not being athletic enough), and whomever is playing SS.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Cbz40;2415139 said:
A good showing by the D Sunday night could go a long way in doing just that......actions speak much louder than words.

Yeah I just wish RW was here to lay the wood IDK if anyone else on D is willing to do it....I have my doubts about Hamlin.....it's clear that Jenkins wont.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score

I point to this and i totally agree, then i back up that by what happened after the rams game when jerry jones blew his top, and let the team and players have it.

Wade then had to step in and work on the defense, something that he was hired for in the first place.

So, what happened, the tampa bay team had more penalities than we did in that game and was a great defensive game, due to wade working on the defense and heat from jerrry jones.

Then what happens, in the giant game players are hollering at each other, penalities, etc, a sloppy football game again, even good ole wade messes up with the handling of bollinger, going to put him in and not going to put him in, the offense gets the play in late to brad and he throws a key interception right before halftime that turns the game back to the giants. Sloppy play calling and game management from the coaching staff and it all starts with the head coaach there.

I think after the tampa bay game, good ole wade went back to his relixing play calling, team meetings etc, and letting stewart set things up, you saw the results on the field, poor tackling too.

Then, a player, even two of them tell jay glazer that good ole wade doesnt even attend defensive meetings at all, period, nada, zip,

the only reason that he came into the defensive meetings was to tell the players he wasnt going to be the defensive coordianator, but just help out.

i think good ole wade, relaxes way too much, doesnt have a good game plan period, and he isnt forceful with his coaches to get the job really done.

then you see the results, the players say they want to be treated like professionals. Thats sounds good, but they have been given the chance to do so, and their not doing the job. To me, when they dont do the job, you dont treat them like professionals anymore, you step on their neck and you keep the pressure on, if their babies, you treat them like babies by kicking their rear ends in practices, and make them rue the day they didnt give it all in the game.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;2415131 said:
"Oh, and the fact that the Giants have much, much better players," Portis added.

Funny.

Portis was actually fairly complimentary towards the Cowboys. Of course, he was on Irvin's show.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
I have said it all season.

It's Wade and his 345 defensive packages. No one knows exactly what their assigments are and when that happens you get players who aren't playing fast because they aren't playing with confidence.

That looks exactly like our defense. Half the time we see guys looking backwards when the ball is snapped and the other half we see guys looking around after a play as to say 'What the hell were you doing on that play?'.

Someone needs to tell Wade that's it just football, not rocket science.

juck

Reaction score
bak to a simple 4-3 campo defense.these guys are too stupid starting with bradie.

Ren

Reaction score
glorydaysrback;2415143 said:
Who on the defensive side of the ball is to blame for these blown assignments. We have heard many many times, be it from the players, the coaches, and now even opposing players about these blown defensive assignments. Anyone know who the main culprits are?

My money would be on who ever plays SS Roy/Watkins/Davis, Hamlin, Bradie and Ellis. Henry looks pretty confused at times to when he gets burned and starts pointing fingers :banghead:

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
We have dumb players????:rolleyes:

All on the Cowboys???

What's, it in the water????

Wow:rolleyes: