DMN Blog: Falcons are a fun bunch

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1:00 PM Sat, Oct 24, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer/Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Atlanta likes to use bunch formations to throw off defenses.

They can line up a tight end and receiver tight to each side of the formation. They can go with a three-by-one look as well. The design is to create confusion among the defenders.

The Cowboys do some of it as well, but not as much as the Falcons. They will keep Tony Gonzalez off the line as much as they do on the line. They will put him next to Roddy White or Mike Jenkins or Brian Finneran.

The key, like always, is communication. And try to stay out of man-to-man coverages because at the snap if they scatter from the formation there is a "Where did he go?" kind of look to it.

"They can pick you off and some of them do it literally and should be penalized for it," coach Wade Phillips said.

But out of the bunch the Falcons will attempt to overload one side to get more blockers on defenders on toss plays to the wide side of the field for Michael Turner. And because defenses have to be ready for the wide plays, they will try some quick-hitters up the middle.

"You have to be ready for whatever a team runs out of that and they can do both of those things," Phillips said.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3030823 said:
1:00 PM Sat, Oct 24, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer/Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Atlanta likes to use bunch formations to throw off defenses.

They can line up a tight end and receiver tight to each side of the formation. They can go with a three-by-one look as well. The design is to create confusion among the defenders.

The Cowboys do some of it as well, but not as much as the Falcons. They will keep Tony Gonzalez off the line as much as they do on the line. They will put him next to Roddy White or Mike Jenkins or Brian Finneran.

Bradie James on TG makes me:nervous:

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
I think it was against the Jaguars one year where the tight end just killed us. On one drive they threw to him almost every play. You knew exactly who it was going to. We ended up losing because of it.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Jon88;3030884 said:
I think it was against the Jaguars one year where the tight end just killed us. On one drive they threw to him almost every play. You knew exactly who it was going to. We ended up losing because of it.

I think that was opening game in 2006

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Jon88;3030884 said:

Yeah, that was the first game I attended in Texas Stadium. You knew what they were going to do, but the Cowboys acted like they had never seen the play before.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
LeonDixson;3031080 said:
Yeah, that was the first game I attended in Texas Stadium. You knew what they were going to do, but the Cowboys acted like they had never seen the play before.

I thought someone would finally cover him but they never did.