DMN Blog: Felix Jones should be fine in six months

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
November 20, 2008

Tim MacMahon

As much as it hurt, it wasn't a tough decision for the Cowboys to schedule season-ending surgery for RB Felix Jones.

Even if Jones toughed it out with a torn ligament under his left big toe, he wouldn't have had the explosiveness that makes him a big-play threat. The potential for long-term problems with the toe made it an easy decision to send the rookie to the operating room. Jones is expected to make a full recovery after getting the surgery done, which will happen Saturday in Charlotte, according to Jerry Jones.

"They told me in six months he'll be just the same," Wade Phillips said.

That means Felix Jones should be able to participate in most, if not all, of the Cowboys' minicamps and organized team activities.

As far as replacing the dynamic rookie for the rest of the season, the Cowboys will consider promoting Alonzo Coleman off the practice squad or perhaps signing a back off the street. The role of fourth-rounder Tashard Choice, who has 72 yards on 13 carries, could increase slightly. But Marion "The Barbarian" Barber will be asked to continue carrying the load as a workhorse while the Cowboys fight for a playoff spot.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
It is good to hear that he should be back to 100%, or very close to it (rusty and apprehensive maybe, but healthy) by training camp. We need the speedy Felix from games 1-6 for next 7-8 years PLEASE. Difference maker. Speed kills!

LarryCanadian

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I would like them to give Coleman a shot. We need some speed. Heck, the Giants plug guys in and they do just fine. See you in 2009 Felix!

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2432207 said:
wow Jones was very impressive in his limited action this blows.

At the same time the show must go on... I believe Dallas will get some nice production out of Choice and could possibly bring up Alonzo Coleman, whom showed promise in pre-season action.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I dont want to be the Cubs and keep saying, "Wait till next year"

We need him THIS year. Last year was supposed to be our year. So is this. So far its not. I dont want to wait until next year.

Choice will need to step up and deliver when called upon. The team needs it.

rojan

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind given Sugga Rey Lewis's bro a game or too.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2432140 said:
I don't like the idea of Barber continuing to be the workhorse back

he's not LT

apparently the Cowboys did like the idea, thats partly why they paid him 40+ million, remember?

he's only carried 196 times in 10 games, thats less than 20 a game and he's had 20+ only 4 times. He'll be fine.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2432345 said:
apparently the Cowboys did like the idea, thats partly why they paid him 40+ million, remember?

that's the cost to keep a good player

dbair said:
he's only carried 196 times in 10 games, thats less than 20 a game and he's had 20+ only 4 times. He'll be fine.

maybe he will, maybe he won't, I'm just not sure that he's a back that can carry a team, he's split carries his whole lifetime basically

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2432349 said:

maybe he will, maybe he won't, I'm just not sure that he's a back that can carry a team, he's split carries his whole lifetime basically

well ultimately, what you think has no bearing, so don't lose any sleep over it

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2432349 said:

You dont pay "good" players top $$$...you pay guys top $$$ when you feel they are difference makers. They obviously feel he is a difference maker.

He'll get 18-22 carries a week the rest of the yr, which is 6 games and maybe the playoff game/s if we get in. I'd be more concerned if it was week one or two. Plus, Choice can fill in a little and do ok.

Once Romo is right, with the weapons we have in the passing game I suspect we're gonna open it up bigtime anyway.

noletime95

Reaction score
Obviously this is a big concern for the short term. But I'm also concerned long term. Anyone watch SD play this year? Gates IS NOT his old self. Not even close after having a similar operation in the offseason.

Now part of the issue with him could be that he played on it until January where Felix isn't taking that risk.

I hope Felix isn't limping around next year like Gates. He'd be totally ineffective if he is.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2432356 said:
well ultimately, what you think has no bearing, so don't lose any sleep over it

uh, yeah, thanks for that insightful wisdom

you have opened my eyes

now I can sleep at night

dbair said:
You dont pay "good" players top $$$...you pay guys top $$$ when you feel they are difference makers. They obviously feel he is a difference maker.

of course Barber is a difference maker, but the market dictates that anyone worth their salt receives a big contract, and besides Barber's biggest body of work has come splitting time

all I'm saying is that it would be beneficial to involve other backs, in this case Choice, I'm pretty sure New York, Tennessee and Carolina, are top 5 in the league in rushing, and they have a time-share committee at RB

I know you feel that you have to defend every thing that is the Cowboys, but I'm not knocking Barber here