U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
December 16, 2007

Garrett says execution is the problem

10:30 PM Sun, Dec 16, 2007 | Permalink
Albert Breer E-mail News tips

Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett's play-calling came into question a bit tonight, with a ratio of 41-14 in pass-to-run calls. This is the second straight week, too, the Cowboys have set a season low in rushing attempts.

"You always strive for balance, that’s always what you want to do," Garrett said. "Sometimes, you gotta let the game take you certain ways, too. We just felt like at certain times we had to throw it a little bit, and wanted to throw it, and made some big plays in the passing game. But clearly, we weren't consistent enough there or consistent enough running the football".

For one thing, Garrett's presiding over the NFL's second-ranked offense, so he deserves some leeway there (although part of the benefit of balance offensively is helping your defense). And credit him, too, with handling all this with class in the moments after a loss that falls at his feet. He took blame, while also praising the victors.

"Jim Johnson, their defensive coordinator there, has done a great job for a long time," Garrett said. "They challenge you with defensive recognition and know where guys are coming from and I thought we did an OK job of identifying their guys at times, and maybe not so good other times.

"But the other part of that is once you know where they are, and where they’re coming from, you have to execute. We didn’t execute very well."

Comments (24) Leave comment | E-mail entry

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1839983 said:
"But the other part of that is once you know where they are, and where they’re coming from, you have to execute. We didn’t execute very well."

Fascinating stuff Garrett.

Let me translate "if the stuff we did would have worked nobody would be saying it is poor play calling"

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
abersonc;1839992 said:
Let me translate "if the stuff we did would have worked nobody would be saying it is poor play calling"

Isn't that always the case?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc;1839992 said:
Fascinating stuff Garrett.

I agree. The plays were there for the taking and we just failed to hit them.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;1840002 said:
I agree. The plays were there for the taking and we just failed to hit them.

Of course.

But it's like that every week.

We had what two rushing attempts the entire second half?

That's just not good. Not for a game that was as close as this one.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1840009 said:
Of course.

Harooni is that you??

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1840009 said:
Of course.

I'm not saying Dallas could not have run the ball more than they did. What I am saying is the plays were there and if we execute as we should have then I think the offense would have found their rhythm

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;1840015 said:
I'm not saying Dallas could not have run the ball more than they did. What I am saying is the plays were there and if we execute as we should have then I think the offense would have found their rhythm

I don't disagree with that. But we were off what? Like 22 points from our scoring average? That's one hellofalot of rhythm to be off of.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...gets the benefit of the doubt on the past two games from me, but he does need to show he is much more than a one trick pony.

Eagles have a good defence. I thought I saw some things on the field that were there all day.

Especially the vacated zone from the blitzer's side.

Just because your team leads the league in plays over 20 yards doesn't mean you have to establish that every single game.

Take what they give you and dink and dunk your way down the field.

I wish Garett would develop a five wide formation to defend against teams that want to man up and blitz.

What I would do:

Line up shotgun double TE, two wide (22) with T.O in the backfield. That forces Lito Sheppard to pick up the WR: Crayton or Hurd at the line.

Move T.O. in motion towards the slot where a LB is showing blitz. Snap the ball and take your chances that either T.O., Witten, Fasano, Hurd or Crayton is going to catch a 3-4 yard pass.

The gravy is if they break a tackle. It's really the GB offence. If they do, then you are looking at a big play. If not, then less pressure on the QB and line - basically a long handoff.

Work your running play variations off that base set.

What I am proposing is to be something you never were throughout the entire season. At least for one game.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
the whole offense was out of sync. the eagles played very well on defense.

We were barely lined up right half the time, we almost had about 5 delay of game penalties because of it.

also, losing fasano and gurode for basically the whole second half screwed up our protection.

i know it is the cool thing around here to say fasano sucks and why did we draft him, well yesterday we saw what happens when his blocking is not on the field.

VThokie7

Reaction score
Garrett certainly deserves some lee way after the season we have had so far, but to blame execution? That is a total cop out. Own up and take some blame Redball.

When your quarterback is either hurt or completely off his game and your down by 4 you have got to run the ball alot more than 2 times in the entire second half. That is just god awful, had we run the ball and taken some pressure off it could've been a different ball game.

superpunk

Reaction score
Reporter: So, Jason...what did you think of your team's execution today?

Red Jesus: I'm in favor of it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1840020 said:
I don't disagree with that. But we were off what? Like 22 points from our scoring average? That's one hellofalot of rhythm to be off of.

It happens. Dallas avg 32 points a game going into the game and does not need to change what we do on offense. The offense does work when we go out and execute it. Dallas does not need to reinvent the wheel we just need to go out and do the job. Sorry I just don't get overly upset over 1 bad game and that is all it was. This offense had a bad game vs Buff and one vs Philly other than that this offense has gotten the job done and I have lost no faith in them or Garrett.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1840034 said:
It happens. Dallas avg 32 points a game going into the game and does not need to change what we do on offense. The offense does work when we go out and execute it. Dallas does not need to reinvent the wheel we just need to go out and do the job. Sorry I just don't get overly upset over 1 bad game and that is all it was. This offense had a bad game vs Buff and one vs Philly other than that this offense has gotten the job done and I have lost no faith in them or Garrett.

...I believe this league represents the pinnacle of football. The guys on the other side of the field are not puffed wheat.

They have talent and on any given day they can tear you a new one just as much as we can do it to anyone else.

That's what made this parity league such a crap shoot from one season to another and why with talent parity coaching has become such a critical part of the game.

Garrett should not rest on his laurels and push out the same offence week after week.

With some of our recent injuries our playoff success will depend on his ability to adapt and create some new looks that continually get our playmakers in positions to make plays.

This season the offence has been coined "explosive" over and over again by the media and us fans.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to have an offence that is termed "patient" for one game.

4 wides, five wides, short passes, bunch formations, screens anything to keep an opposing coordinator and his defence off balance.

I pose this as the "needle and hammer" approach. They both can kill, but one is a little more subtle.

I believe in the way Garrett has handled this team, but the season is getting into the real interesting part of the year. Teams aren't going to roll over.

For some we are their SuperBowl this season. For others we are roadblock to their dreams in the playoffs. Jason needs to sharpen up this unit soon and we need some momentum going into the playoffs.

Givincer

Reaction score
VThokie7;1840027 said:
Garrett certainly deserves some lee way after the season we have had so far, but to blame execution? That is a total cop out. Own up and take some blame Redball.

What he said was the truth.

The plays were there. Romo missed them.

If Romo was hurt to this extent, maybe he shouldn't have been in the game? I don't think that's Jason Garrett's decision.

Bull Frog

Reaction score
In the second half we had 1st and 10 two times around the Philly 40 yard line and came away with nothing. On both occasions Garrett called 3 passes in a row. A couple of modest runs get us to the edge of FG range, but also create more manageable 3rd downs. I was imploring Garrett to run the ball. He didn't listen.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Givincer;1840083 said:
What he said was the truth.

The plays were there. Romo missed them.

If Romo was hurt to this extent, maybe he shouldn't have been in the game? I don't think that's Jason Garrett's decision.

...is the OC's decision. All he has to do is tell the HC he's going with a change and his opinion should hold some weight along with the results on the scoreboard.

As for further discussion about a different gameplan, it wouldn't a stretch of the imagination that Garrett has another gameplan for the noodlearmed abilities of Brad Johnson.

Maybe that is the offensive set he could have considered when Romo's thumb was affecting his accuracy or recognition.

Adjustments can't only be at halftime, but they must also be made on the fly.

Holding to the belief that your unit is just going to get it done may not always be the best policy. Especially when all you want to do is establish some rhythm.

Word Mofo

Reaction score
So certain players (Romo) aren't executing? Then why not go to other players who are executing (Barber).

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Word Mofo;1840096 said:
So certain players (Romo) aren't executing? Then why not go to other players who are executing (Barber).

...any play maker on the team. Barber, Owens, etc.

If Romo is having trouble with accuracy on passes over 15 yards, then don't challenge him right away with those routes. Do something different.

See what you have and adjust on the fly to it.