DMN Blog: Getting Roy Williams involved

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
11:25 AM Tue, Nov 18, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Roy Williams started and finished Sunday's game with three catches for 36 yards. He averaged 12 yards a catch with his longest reception for 13 yards.
Williams said he knows the offense and that as long as he's on the field he will contribute, if he gets the ball. It seems Williams is getting closer to having a breakout game with the Cowboys.

"You never know," he said. "It's the NFL, you never know what's going to happen on Sunday. The drive we did score on before the half, where all of us touched the football, that's something you can envision on every drive. This is the NFL, they're good too."

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (2) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2428112 said:
11:25 AM Tue, Nov 18, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Roy Williams started and finished Sunday's game with three catches for 36 yards. He averaged 12 yards a catch with his longest reception for 13 yards.
Williams said he knows the offense and that as long as he's on the field he will contribute, if he gets the ball. It seems Williams is getting closer to having a breakout game with the Cowboys.

"You never know," he said. "It's the NFL, you never know what's going to happen on Sunday. The drive we did score on before the half, where all of us touched the football, that's something you can envision on every drive. This is the NFL, they're good too."

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (2) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

UMMMMMMM! Interesting! LMAO!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pick6TerenceNewman;2428119 said:
UMMMMMMM! Interesting! LMAO!

Ummm only if your name is stretch armstrong and you are disappointed because you have unrealistic expectations in the last few weeks.

But hey...I heard there is a hidden marble and if you find it you can drink from the fire hose.

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2428132 said:
Ummm only if your name is stretch armstrong and you are disappointed because you have unrealistic expectations in the last few weeks.

But hey...I heard there is a hidden marble and if you find it you can drink from the fire hose.

When you give up what Dallas gave up.... money and draft picks... your expectations should be nothing but high!

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pick6TerenceNewman;2428137 said:
When you give up what Dallas gave up.... money and draft picks... your expectations should be nothing but high!

Long term or if you have your normal starter who is healthy...you would be right.

However since it has only been a few games and he just got to start his first game and the starting QB just played his first game with him with a still broken pinky...well you do the math.

It is really not that hard to figure out and even with all of these situations he was still getting first downs and doing good run blocking.

Patience

AKATheRake

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2428132 said:

Hahahaha!:laugh2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I do think the expectations are high. With both connotations of "high" in evidence.

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2428142 said:
Long term or if you have your normal starter who is healthy...you would be right.

However since it has only been a few games and he just got to start his first game and the starting QB just played his first game with him with a still broken pinky...well you do the math.

It is really not that hard to figure out and even with all of these situations he was still getting first downs and doing good run blocking.

Patience

I hear you. All people see is that the word disappointed and they freak out. Look, I think Roy is a good player not great like Texas fans think but good.

If Roy is such a great athlethe as people think he is why not throw screens to him or crossing routes and let him use his athlethism?

There are ways to get him the ball other than throw it to him.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure where I seen it but one of the sports/football shows was on and someone brought up the point that no in season trade for a WR had immediate effects. It took time for the WR to adjust to the QB and the Offense.

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2428170 said:
Not sure where I seen it but one of the sports/football shows was on and someone brought up the point that no in season trade for a WR had immediate effects. It took time for the WR to adjust to the QB and the Offense.

Priceless! This trade may come back to haunt the Cowboys down the line. Hope not BUT COULD NOT WILL!

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
http://img143.*************/img143/1822/ch51sunnov162008b085806ct0.jpg

Bust! :eek::

anava

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2428169 said:
I hear you. All people see is that the word disappointed and they freak out. Look, I think Roy is a good player not great like Texas fans think but good.

If Roy is such a great athlethe as people think he is why not throw screens to him or crossing routes and let him use his athlethism?

There are ways to get him the ball other than throw it to him.

I am interested to hear your comments on Newman getting paid last year. I am not busting on Newman but with what he got paid and produced so far this year, you must think he has robbed Jerry blind.

aikemirv

Reaction score
By the way, getting Roy Williams was not about having him so he could catch 7 balls a game and 100 yrds weeek in and out. There is just not enough ball to go around and if that is what you were expecting, I think you are going to be dissapointed for a long time here.

Owens, Witten, Williams, Barber, Austin, Crayton and Bennett too.

We have to decide what we are going to be. A passing team, a running team or a balanced team. I think we will be balanced so that means about 25-30 runs and 30-35 passes a week. At 65% completion rate that is about 20 balls a week.

The key is not how many Roy gets, it is getting them to the open guy! That is why was brought here - to get more guys open!

morasp

Reaction score
If you watch the replay he had a great block to set that last first down. I like him, his hands are like glue, he doesn't seem to be afraid to go over the middle and his potential for fade routes at the goal line alone are worth it. We gave up a first which could have been used on and unproven rookie and a later pick (third?) that have been a crap shoot for us and swapped the two 6th and 7th round picks. That doesn't seem too bad to get a quality proven NFL receiver.

links18

Reaction score
About the only thing I don't like about RW is his facemask. That's not a WR's facemask!

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Hey Pick6TerenceNewman,

close your eyes; you may not want to see what Mickey Spagnola posted recently:

From Mickey:

Here is another thing that helped the Cowboys better run the ball against the Commanders, who wanted to crowd the line of scrimmage with strong safety Chris Horton, who now has given up two touchdowns to Cowboys tight ends in two games: Having Terrell Owens AND Roy Williams lined up wide. You don’t want to consistently get into singling both guys so you can load up against the run.

WOW, WR-RW must be a real bust! :rolleyes:

2much2soon

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2428227 said:
Hey Pick6TerenceNewman,

close your eyes; you may not want to see what Mickey Spagnola posted recently:

From Mickey:

Here is another thing that helped the Cowboys better run the ball against the Commanders, who wanted to crowd the line of scrimmage with strong safety Chris Horton, who now has given up two touchdowns to Cowboys tight ends in two games: Having Terrell Owens AND Roy Williams lined up wide. You don’t want to consistently get into singling both guys so you can load up against the run.

WOW, WR-RW must be a real bust! :rolleyes:

Simply amazing that something like this could slip by an over-reactionary fan on a message board :rolleyes:
Or the rest of the reasons for bringing in WR-RW; taking attention of the other receivers and being the replacement for TO when the time comes.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2428137 said:

they have to be realistic too

alby

Reaction score
He's been here 4 weeks and he's worked with the QB for a week. Calm down.