DMN Blog: Greg Ellis: 'I like what I'm smelling from this team'...w/vid

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3:04 PM Mon, Nov 24, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Greg Ellis, the longest-tenured current Cowboy, is not the kind of guy who will pump sunshine for the sake of doing so. Matter of fact, he's a worrywart who doesn't hesitate to express his discontent.

Heck, Grumpy Greg ripped the franchise from top to bottom last month.

So you know things are really going well around Valley Ranch when Ellis stands in front of his locker and says so.

"I'm going to put it to you this way: I like what I'm smelling from this team," Ellis said when discussing the Cowboys' playoff chances. "All right? I really do. I like what I'm smelling from this team. ... You can put that in big, bold print. You can use those words: I like what I'm smelling from this team. I like what I'm smelling from this team."

Sweet fragrances aren't usually discussed while standing in locker rooms, but we weren't going to argue with Ellis with the Cowboys coming off of consecutive wins and pointed in the direction of a wild card berth. This team was humbled during its 2-4 stretch, and Ellis likes the way the Cowboys have reacted after being punched in the nose.

"That this-is-the-greatest-thing-ever-assembled kind of thing is gone, and people realize we can be beat," Ellis said. "We've gotta show up and not just yell and scream at 'em. We can't win like that. We've got to show up and play good football. That is what's changed. Not just from the players, but to me, from top to bottom."

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Video Link: http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/livevideo/wfaa/?nvid=307002&noad=yes

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Greg Ellis: 'I like what I'm smelling from this team'
3:04 PM Mon, Nov 24, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Greg Ellis, the longest-tenured current Cowboy, is not the kind of guy who will pump sunshine for the sake of doing so. Matter of fact, he's a worrywart who doesn't hesitate to express his discontent.

Heck, Grumpy Greg ripped the franchise from top to bottom last month.

So you know things are really going well around Valley Ranch when Ellis stands in front of his locker and says so.

"I'm going to put it to you this way: I like what I'm smelling from this team," Ellis said when discussing the Cowboys' playoff chances. "All right? I really do. I like what I'm smelling from this team. ... You can put that in big, bold print. You can use those words: I like what I'm smelling from this team. I like what I'm smelling from this team."

Sweet fragrances aren't usually discussed while standing in locker rooms, but we weren't going to argue with Ellis after the Cowboys had won consecutive games and seem pointed in the direction of a wild card berth. This team was humbled during its 2-4 stretch, and Ellis likes the way the Cowboys have reacted after being punched in the nose.

"That this-is-the-greatest-thing-ever-assembled kind of thing is gone, and people realize we can be beat," Ellis said. "We've gotta show up and not just yell and scream at 'em. We can't win like that. We've got to show up and play good football. That is what's changed. Not just from the players, but to me, from top to bottom."

Givincer

Reaction score
Don't quite get why he'd say 'smelling,' instead of 'seeing,' but it's cool that he thinks it smells good regardless.

I can't imagine how badly it stunk when Brad Johnson was leading this team. If constant three and outs had a smell, I'm sure it'd be pretty horrible.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
lol, I don't understand why he placed such an emphasis on "smelling" either, so many different ways he could have worded it.

But if Greg is happy, I'm happy. Wonder if he'd still like what he's smelling with Spencer starting.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;2440881 said:
lol, I don't understand why he placed such an emphasis on "smelling" either, so many different ways he could have worded it.

But if Greg is happy, I'm happy. Wonder if he'd still like what he's smelling with Spencer starting.
This was posted yesterday. Take what you will from it.

What Do You Think Greg Ellis Means?

Linebacker Greg Ellis was doing his best job at being politically correct after the game, but if he's ticked it usually comes through.

When asked about the big change in the game, Ellis said, "I think (defenders) got in a better position. I didn't play a whole bunch myself, so maybe that's what happened. Maybe they changed the calls. When you're not in the game you don't get the calls so maybe they changed the calls. I don't know."

Translation - since Anthony Spencer has come back I never get to play as much any more, and that bums me out. Big time.

- Mac Engel

Posted at 05:52 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack (0)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ellis said something positive?

I'll wait for the other shoe to drop.........

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2440893 said:
Ellis said something positive?

I'll wait for the other shoe to drop.........

When the wind changes, it usually begins to stink. :laugh2:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Givincer;2440874 said:
Don't quite get why he'd say 'smelling,' instead of 'seeing,' but it's cool that he thinks it smells good regardless.

I can't imagine how badly it stunk when Brad Johnson was leading this team. If constant three and outs had a smell, I'm sure it'd be pretty horrible.

TheCount;2440881 said:

On the smell thing, I'm going out on a limb by saying he's no longer smelling BS from this team. This quote stood out.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Hopefully the Giants peaked early like we did last year and thus we are starting to smell like winners....

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Unfortunately for the Cowboys, Ellis has no idea what a winner smells like, having never been one.

goshan

Reaction score
This is a good sign that Ellis is positive, despite his reduced playing time.
You guys ignore the fact that Ellis is always mentioned as the leader on the defense by the players.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
goshan;2440945 said:
This is a good sign that Ellis is positive, despite his reduced playing time.
That's what I was thinking. His snaps are decreasing but he's still positive about the team? Things must really be looking up. :eek:hboy: