DMN Blog: Has Orlando Scandrick been the Cowboys' best rookie?

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
jobberone;2407527 said:
I suspect he's been targeted but both rookies have done well. I don't see Jenkins as a liability but a future strength and he's contributing now. I agree with you 100%. But if Eli takes his time on that throw it's a big gain. I don't know whether Plaxico or Manning made the mistake at first.

And no matter what I give Jenkins credit for reading the QBs eyes. My point is Eli could have made a huge play because Jenkins read the QB the whole way. If he does that too often he will start getting burned. Badly. I'll bet you that was pointed out in the film room and he was told to not let his man go. He may have been expecting help over the top, too. If so then he didn't make any mistake on that play. There wasn't help over there though so someone just let him trot down the field.

It still shows off his athleticism and his ability to read and close. Not trying to diminish his accomplishment. Just point out it wasn't all flowers and roses.

Sarge,

I get what you are saying, but the coaches want the cornerbacks jumping routes. They want interceptions, and Dallas finally gets a big one. However, this guy from the DMN tries to make it look like luck. Jenkins was aggressive on that play, and he needed to be. Dallas was really out-gunned on offense. They needed all the help they could get. Plus, the game isn't played on what someone 'could have' done. Either, you make a play, or you don't. Jenkins made a play.

You have to pick and choose when to jump routes and trust your instincts, and Jenkins' insticts looked pretty dang good on that play. He read that 3 step drop and read Mannings eyes. That is good instincts, film study, and coaching. That three step drop tells you, its coming out fast, especially down there close to the goalline. He trusted his instincts and won. I don't want a coach taking the aggression out of him, and I don't think they will. Jenkins defeated Manning on that play due to his instincts and smarts.

Do the conservative Giants want Manning holding the ball, with Ware coming off the edge, down on the goalline. I say, no. Ballhawks jump routes, and Jenkins is really good at it. He won that play, and he is getting no credit for it from this DMN writer.

I saw Burress going after Manning after that play, and you could tell Manning wasn't buying what Burress had to say. In fact, if you could roll your eyes without doing it, Manning pulled it off.

This DMN writer trashes Jenkins, and I took exception to it.

He didn't bother to mention Jenkins' diving pass deflection on that deep post route against the Eagles. If Jenkins doesn't make that play, the Cowboys lose that game. He saved a TD. So, this guy sure has a selective memory when it comes to Mike Jenkins.

anava

Reaction score
Was it Jenkins or Scandrick that saved a sure TD against Philly?