DMN: Blog: Horn: COWboys = COWher: Get the hint

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
COWboys = COWher: Get the hint

9:05 PM Thu, Nov 20, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn

Maybe you've heard this before. If Bill Cowher gets a hankering to coach again and the Cowboys don't get to the Super Bowl and...can you really argue with this?

Let the Bill Cowher speculation begin (again)

8:37 PM Thu, Nov 20, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn

Over at The Big Lead, dubbed one of the 15 finest sports blogs in the country by some tony publication whose name I can't recall, they are asking this question: Most Likely Spot for Bill Cowher in 2009?

You get the feeling the Big Leaders, who specialize in sports media, don't think Cowher will stay on CBS' "overcrowded NFL Today set."

Here are the 8 places the Big Leaders mention as possible next stops for Cowher: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, San Diego, Oakland, Philadelphia, St. Louis, San Francisco.

There should be a ninth. Missing, of course, is the most obvious, assuming the Cowboys don't win the Super Bowl and Jerry Jones still intends to sell most of the seats in his new mega-stadium. Arlington is a natural fit, isn't it?

dmoore

Reaction score
I want him in Cleveland (living here, I can't help but root for them when they aren't playing the boys). I don't think he'd really do much for us. He was great in Pittsburgh because the front office gave him complete job security and gave him control. He always put competative teams on the field. That said, if we bring in someone knew it'll be taking a step backwards when we're so close to realizing championship dreams. I'm not as upset about the coaching as most people it seems like. If Romo doesn't go down, or record's probably a lot better.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
dmoore;2432602 said:
I want him in Cleveland (living here, I can't help but root for them when they aren't playing the boys). I don't think he'd really do much for us. He was great in Pittsburgh because the front office gave him complete job security and gave him control. He always put competative teams on the field. That said, if we bring in someone knew it'll be taking a step backwards when we're so close to realizing championship dreams. I'm not as upset about the coaching as most people it seems like. If Romo doesn't go down, or record's probably a lot better.

I don't think Cowher will work for JJ. I could be absolutely wrong but I think Cowher will want too much control. JJ hasn't had to endure losing seasons so he thinks he's got it all under control and he knows how to do it. I think he could have learned. He's capable. But something tells me he can't let go enough to let someone like Cowher come in here and take control. I really hope I'm wrong. He's the one person I wouldn't mind coming here next year no matter what.

He's a 3-4 coach. He's got the right stuff. He's still young enough to be here for a decade plus. And he'll stand up to JJ. I think.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I certainly would love to have Cowher, as I've made it clear for a while that I'm a big fan of his, but I just doubt that I'd ever see him on a Cowboys sideline.

SacredStar

Reaction score
jobberone;2432612 said:
I don't think Cowher will work for JJ. I could be absolutely wrong but I think Cowher will want too much control.

Pretty much nailed it there. Cowher will not work for Jones, and will not be a puppet to any owner.

Bonecrusher#31

Reaction score
SacredStar;2432706 said:
Pretty much nailed it there. Cowher will not work for Jones, and will not be a puppet to any owner.

Your getting Jerrah mixed up with the DC midget...

Parcells is a stronger personality and coach than Cowher and they worked fine together...

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
This stuff is getting old.

2003:

Can Jerry and Bill work together?

2004:

Will Jerry fire Bill if the Cowboys don't make the playoffs?

2005:

The Cowboys didn't make the playoffs. Will Jerry fire, Bill?

2006:

Will Jerry fire Bill because of T.O?

2007:

Will Jerry fire Wade if he doesn't make the playoffs?

2008:

Will Jerry fire Wade if he doesn't win the Super Bowl?

2007:

Will Jerry fire Wade, after 2007, and hire Jason?

The beat goes on.

The chances are pretty good that Wade Phillips is still coaching the Cowboys in 2009.

Caaan yooou dig it?

burmafrd

Reaction score
If wade is gon after this year then Garret gets his shot. Jerruh has all but signed that in blood.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
Everyone said that Parcells and Jerry could never work together and it was only a matter of time until the world exploded. We see how that turned out.

kramskoi

Reaction score
jobberone;2432612 said:
I don't think Cowher will work for JJ. I could be absolutely wrong but I think Cowher will want too much control. JJ hasn't had to endure losing seasons so he thinks he's got it all under control and he knows how to do it. I think he could have learned. He's capable. But something tells me he can't let go enough to let someone like Cowher come in here and take control. I really hope I'm wrong. He's the one person I wouldn't mind coming here next year no matter what.

He's a 3-4 coach. He's got the right stuff. He's still young enough to be here for a decade plus. And he'll stand up to JJ. I think.
to think someone could actually coach the Cowboys for ten years is rather hard to contemplate but i like Bill Cowher and also Jeff Fisher...Belichick, Tomlin, Dungy, Lovey Smith are good as well...even the tempestuous Tom Coughlin.

But of all these, i'd take Mr. "Flow" and his impeccable "do" guaranteeing a win with letters in bold print while proclaiming: "How 'bout dem Cowboys"!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
kramskoi;2432759 said:
to think someone could actually coach the Cowboys for ten years is rather hard to contemplate but i like Bill Cowher and also Jeff Fisher...Belichick, Tomlin, Dungy, Lovey Smith are good as well...even the tempestuous Tom Coughlin.

But of all these, i'd take Mr. "Flow" and his impeccable "do" guaranteeing a win with letters in bold print while proclaiming: "How 'bout dem Cowboys"!
Oh goody, we hadn't had a bring back Jimmy post in at least a day.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
nfl_a_johnson-jones_580.jpg

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2433014 said:
Cowher don't do it they will turn on you within a year. :laugh2:

There is no way that the fickle new breed of Cowboys fan would deal with a coach who won one superbowl in 14 years.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
zrinkill;2433041 said:
There is no way that the fickle new breed of Cowboys fan would deal with a coach who won one superbowl in 14 years.

I believe you are right

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
If Giants repeat or come close to repeating, then Spagnuolo is going to be a HC in 2009.

Not sure if I'd prefer Cowher over Spagnuolo. Spagnuolo could be the next Landry (another former Giants DC).

Garrett may be a good one some day, but not ready now.

Decleater101

Reaction score
I wish the media would stop getting my hopes up with these "Cowher head coach of Cowboys" articles.

It could happen though. As far as the "Jerry Jones/GM/Cowher" power allotment goes, perhaps Jerry could make a final decision on which he desires more, power over team decisions or super bowl rings.

I know which one I would choose if I were him.

:eek:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Cbz40;2432567 said:
Here are the 8 places the Big Leaders mention as possible next stops for Cowher: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, San Diego, Oakland, Philadelphia, St. Louis, San Francisco.

I think we kin reasonably exclude Oakland from Cowher's stops.:laugh2: