DMN: Blog: How will Cowboys handle James Harrison?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
How will Cowboys handle James Harrison?

11:49 PM Sun, Nov 30, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

Here's guessing that Jason Garrett and Hudson Houck have already spent hours trying to come up with potential solutions to this problem.

Steelers OLB James Harrison, who has 14 sacks and six forced fumbles, has a strong case for Defensive Player of the Year consideration. He's the most disruptive player on the league's top-ranked defense. Leaving LT Flozell Adams alone on Harrison would be asking for trouble.
Just ask the New England Patriots.

Harrison's pair of sack/strips of Matt Cassell were key plays as Pittsburgh turned Sunday's game in Foxborough into a blowout. He blew by All-Pro LT Matt Light on both plays.
Of course, it'd help if the Cowboys could stay out of obvious passing situations, but that's easier said than done with NT Casey Hampton clogging the middle for the NFL's best run defense, especially considering that Marion Barber has a bum toe.

Sliding protection towards Harrison could create opportunities for OLB LaMarr Woodley, who is hardly a slouch with 12 sacks. The Cowboys could ask TE Jason Witten to help out on Harrison, but they'd probably prefer a guy coming off a nine-catch, 115-yard game run routes. Barber will probably get plenty of chipping duty, but defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will keep the Barbarian busy on passing downs by bringing guys from all over the field.

Feel free to make some suggestions. Like Flozell Adams, the Cowboys' offensive coaches can use all the help they can get this week.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Cbz40;2454796 said:
How will Cowboys handle James Harrison?

11:49 PM Sun, Nov 30, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

Here's guessing that Jason Garrett and Hudson Houck have already spent hours trying to come up with potential solutions to this problem.

Steelers OLB James Harrison, who has 14 sacks and six forced fumbles, has a strong case for Defensive Player of the Year consideration. He's the most disruptive player on the league's top-ranked defense. Leaving LT Flozell Adams alone on Harrison would be asking for trouble.
Just ask the New England Patriots.

Harrison's pair of sack/strips of Matt Cassell were key plays as Pittsburgh turned Sunday's game in Foxborough into a blowout. He blew by All-Pro LT Matt Light on both plays.
Of course, it'd help if the Cowboys could stay out of obvious passing situations, but that's easier said than done with NT Casey Hampton clogging the middle for the NFL's best run defense, especially considering that Marion Barber has a bum toe.

Sliding protection towards Harrison could create opportunities for OLB LaMarr Woodley, who is hardly a slouch with 12 sacks. The Cowboys could ask TE Jason Witten to help out on Harrison, but they'd probably prefer a guy coming off a nine-catch, 115-yard game run routes. Barber will probably get plenty of chipping duty, but defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will keep the Barbarian busy on passing downs by bringing guys from all over the field.

Feel free to make some suggestions. Like Flozell Adams, the Cowboys' offensive coaches can use all the help they can get this week.

I hate to do it but I agree with MacMahon. Adams and Columbo need to be on their A game and I just have not seen that fire from Adams.

Mansta54

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2454802 said:
I hate to do it but I agree with MacMahon. Adams and Columbo need to be on their A game and I just have not seen that fire from Adams.

The Steelers better not miss Romo when they attack cause he will make them pay downfield. Big Flo and Columbo will be just fine with Romo stepping up in the pocket or sliding to extend the play. We'll be just fine!!!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Note to McMahon:

Romo 9 starts, been sacked 8 times

Roethlisberger 12 starts, 33 sacks...only two starts has he not been sacked at all (shocker here, both were vs Cinci and Zimmer's D). 6 games he's been sacked at least 3 times.

Mansta54

Reaction score
dbair1967;2454810 said:
Note to McMahon:

Romo 9 starts, been sacked 8 times

Roethlisberger 12 starts, 33 sacks...only two starts has he not been sacked at all (shocker here, both were vs Cinci and Zimmer's D). 6 games he's been sacked at least 3 times.

I've been saying this, the Steelers better figure out how they're gonna stop our pass rush and their oline is terrible. Everybody's talking about their D but our D gets after QB's just as well as theirs but the difference is that Romo gets away and Ben doesn't.. They better be worried about Ware and our outstanding pass rush...

tunahelper

Reaction score
Double TE's is the best way for us to block their OLB's. Widen them out and you can chip with Bennett/Witten.

Flo & Colombo dont move well enough to block their midget OLB's without scheming.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
Dallas has one of the best LT in the game. Colombo will need to play lights out too from here on if the Cowboys are to make it.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Here's a better question....

How is Marvel Smith going to handle DeMarcus Ware????

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Run right at Harrison, early and often. A long time ago, Pitt had a similar OLB named Gregg Lloyd, and when we played Pitt, they would run straight at him, using Larry Allen pulling to slam the cr@p out of him. After being pancaked a few times, he lost his spirit. We need to do the same with Harrison.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After a run play, when there is a pile of bodies on the O-Line...Flozell will tie Harrison's shoe laces together. That should slow him down some.

We will also put a bungee cord on Troy P to keep him from getting an INT. We know Tony is good for at least one, but this should cut down a possible return for a TD or multiple INTs.

Sneaky Sneaky, if you are not cheating, you are not trying.

:p: ;)

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mr Cowboy;2454835 said:
Run right at Harrison, early and often. A long time ago, Pitt had a similar OLB named Gregg Lloyd, and when we played Pitt, they would run straight at him, using Larry Allen pulling to slam the cr@p out of him. After being pancaked a few times, he lost his spirit. We need to do the same with Harrison.

Ahh...one of my favorite plays ever when Allen pulled and destroyed Lloyd on a run play in the Superbowl.

Good Memories. :star:

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2454827 said:
Here's a better question....

How is Marvel Smith going to handle DeMarcus Ware????
Marvel Smith's been out for 8 weeks, Max Starks is starting at LT and playing surprisingly well.

The problem with the Steelers is its not just Harrison. The Cowboys must deal with Woodley, Aaron Smith, Polamalu, Hampton, Farrior, and Timmons. They also like to isolate Ike Taylor on the other team's top receiver. Ike wasn't playing great early in the year and then they started having him shadow the #1 receiver, which he's done in previous years, and he's played real well. Points will be at a premium no matter how well our offense is playing.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cowboys may have to pull out some trick plays for an over persuing defense.

When was the last time we did a flea flicker play? Seems that we had decent success with it when the tuna was here, but I could be wrong.

Also have to wonder about draw/delays, although that might be rough with such a quick Defense, reverses and a possible reverse into a pass with crayton.

Going to be hard to run inside or outside on the steelers with hampton in the middle and the speed of their D but we can not abandon the run. I imagine they may come out slinging the ball in order to keep the safties and some LBs back and then try a draw/delay in the run game.

Who knows at this point. I just know this is a game where they have to be sharp and not kill themselves with penalties or stupid mistakes. The steelers are not a team that we can beat if we hurt ourselves.

I can also envision a Three TE look with TO being the lone WR and Witten going out with Bennett and Curtis staying in to block.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
parcells316;2454867 said:
Marvel Smith's been out for 8 weeks, Max Starks is starting at LT and playing surprisingly well.

The problem with the Steelers is its not just Harrison. The Cowboys must deal with Woodley, Aaron Smith, Polamalu, Hampton, Farrior, and Timmons. They also like to isolate Ike Taylor on the other team's top receiver. Ike wasn't playing great early in the year and then they started having him shadow the #1 receiver, which he's done in previous years, and he's played real well. Points will be at a premium no matter how well our offense is playing.

So basically you might as well just mention their entire defense. LeBeau will come out attacking in hopes that they force Romo into a game like he had against Buffalo last season.

If we can get some consistant protection, with minimal breakdowns, and mental mistakes, the Steelers can be beaten. Harrison is small, but very quick off the edge.

Hopefully Flo will have nice footwork and technique, keeping Harrison at arm's length. If so, Romo will be hitting Witten in the seam, Terrell Owens across the middle and up the sidelines, finding Crayton in soft zones, and Roy Williams wherever he can get open.

The Cowboys could make it a long day for the Steeler's defense if the coaches and players execute a game plan properly.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Mansta54;2454811 said:
Everybody's talking about their D but our D gets after QB's just as well as theirs but the difference is that Romo gets away and Ben doesn't..

That's nice, but Cassel is just as mobile if not moreso than Romo and he didn't exactly get away. I will also mention that Romo has shown a tendency to fumble as well, and that is what worries me more than just the traps for loss.

It is going to be a huge challenge.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander;2454902 said:
That's nice, but Cassel is just as mobile if not moreso than Romo and he didn't exactly get away. I will also mention that Romo has shown a tendency to fumble as well, and that is what worries me more than just the traps for loss.

It is going to be a huge challenge.

That scares me as well. When he is moving around sometimes he is holding on to the ball like a loaf of bread and that is just what Harrison is waiting for...to strip that ball.

I imagine they have seen the tape of him and will practice making sure Romo does a better job of holding the ball but still when things break down and you go on instinct it is hard to keep that in mind.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2454906 said:
That scares me as well. When he is moving around sometimes he is holding on to the ball like a loaf of bread and that is just what Harrison is waiting for...to strip that ball.

I imagine they have seen the tape of him and will practice making sure Romo does a better job of holding the ball but still when things break down and you go on instinct it is hard to keep that in mind.

Worse still, the way Harrison was slapping Cassel's hand. Romo get's hit like that on his recently broken finger and has to miss any games.... adios

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The two sack strips were terrible plays by both Matt Light and Matt Cassell. Harrison just "speed rushed" around the outside and got right to Cassell. I use quotes because he really just walked around Light, who barely even attempted to push him wide. And all Cassell had to do was take a step up into a clean pocket. It doesn't get much easier for a passrusher on the outside.

That type of rush will never get to Romo.

juck

Reaction score
parcells316;2454867 said:

Umm Max Starks is terrible.