DMN: Blog: Jay Ratliff's concerns

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Jay Ratliff's concerns

8:11 PM Wed, Jul 30, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins

Starting nose tackle Jay Ratliff is concerned about his role with the defense.

The Cowboys' coaches love Ratliff. Wade Phillips thinks he's the fastest lineman on the squad.

However, the Cowboys want to move Ratliff to end, at least for now and give Marcus Spears and Tank Johnson more reps at nose tackle.

Ratliff wants to remain at nose guard because he's developed a comfort level there.

Do you want to do this? "This is kinda of a a shock to me. I play nose. Pretty much all my game film has been nose or inside. I really don't have any game film outside. I'll get used to it."

What are you're strengths to the position? "I bring speed, physical, I kinda know what's going on out there. I'm rusty, but I think it will be good. I feel more comfortable at nose, all my game film, since my rookie year has been inside. This is just a wrinkle. I just got to get used to it and get over it."

With Johnson playing well at nose guard, the Cowboys' coaches have to give him some playing time.

The coaches don't want Ratliff on the sidelines. They want him on the field.

As of right now, the coaches want to mix and match some players around.

"That was kind of the thing I heard [Wade Phillips] wanted to mix and match guys," Ratliff said. "Then it was they wanted a bigger body inside, we'll just see what happens."

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Has Rat been hanging out with Ellis?

:laugh2:(just joking guys)

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Rat should not take any offense. Wade just wants to keep him on the field as much as possible.

Maybe pair him up w/Tank to maximize the speed and physicality of the front 3.

This also does not bode well for the big invisible man, Junior Siavii. If Spears slides inside, Siavii is fighting w/Remi for the 3rd NT spot.

IMO, the starters along the line:

Rat - Tank - Canty

With Hatcher backing up Rat, Spears backing up Tank & Bowen backing up Canty.

Maybe Siavii is better off learning the OG spot, the move from D to O line worked for Tuinei.

VACowboy

Reaction score
This article was based on an interview you can see at DC.com. Not once does he say he's concerned about his role. He does seem irked or something, though.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Your role is to shut your pie hole and collect your millions and play a game instead of slaving for 30k a year like most of the rest of American, you freaking idiot.

That said, i love Rat:)

speedkilz88

Reaction score
BAT;2167378 said:
Rat should not take any offense. Wade just wants to keep him on the field as much as possible.

Maybe pair him up w/Tank to maximize the speed and physicality of the front 3.

This also does not bode well for the big invisible man, Junior Siavii. If Spears slides inside, Siavii is fighting w/Remi for the 3rd NT spot.

IMO, the starters along the line:

Rat - Tank - Canty

With Hatcher backing up Rat, Spears backing up Tank & Bowen backing up Canty.

Maybe Siavii is better off learning the OG spot, the move from D to O line worked for Tuinei.
I really doubt there will be a 3rd NT.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Of course there will be a 3rd NT. It may not be a guy who ONLY plays NT though.

For example, Bowen was the 3rd NT last season. He's the guy you put in if your 2nd goes down.

The 3 NTs next season are most likely Tank-Spears-Rat tho.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I need to know people.......what is my role here at the Zone?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
zrinkill;2167371 said:
Has Rat been hanging out with Ellis?

:laugh2:(just joking guys)

trickblue;2167374 said:
Jay Ellis?

Thinking the same fellas. I'm not joking..................

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Cbz40;2167369 said:
What are you're strengths to the position? "I bring speed, physical, I kinda know what's going on out there. I'm rusty, but I think it will be good. I feel more comfortable at nose, all my game film, since my rookie year has been inside. This is just a wrinkle. I just got to get used to it and get over it."

Interesting. I always figured that Parcells had plans for Ratliff at the nose eventually since they never seemed too concerned about addressing NT.

Had no idea he had pretty much worked there exclusively since his rookie year though. I thought he was getting reps and prep for end earlier in his career.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Ratliff has never played the same position longer than 2 years since college. He started off as a TE at Auburn. They moved him to DE (I believe as a junior). Then they needed him to move to DT his senior year to fill a hole, which probably hurt his draft stock. He comes to the Cowboys and learns how to play 3-4 DE for a couple of years under Parcells. Wade moves him to NT to fill a hole when Fergie gets hurt. He performs very well at nosetackle, and his reward is he gets to change positions again.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
We have a sick front 5:

Ellis Rat Tank Canty Ware

All those guys produce sacks!!!:eek:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
junk;2167471 said:
Interesting. I always figured that Parcells had plans for Ratliff at the nose eventually since they never seemed too concerned about addressing NT.

Had no idea he had pretty much worked there exclusively since his rookie year though. I thought he was getting reps and prep for end earlier in his career.

I don't know what he's talking about, because he played LDE his first two years. He rotated in with Kenyon Coleman at LDE when Spears hurt his leg in his rookie training camp. Maybe he's talking about playing inside on nickel packages, which has has been doing since a rookie

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
ELDudearino;2167473 said:
We have a sick front 5:

Ellis Rat Tank Canty Ware

All those guys produce sacks!!!:eek:

Spencer Hatcher Spears Bowen Walden

Not a bad 2nd unit to say the least

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
BAT;2167378 said:

He's not taking offense to it. He's saying that he's not used to play 3-4 DE and he's a little rusty out there, but he'll get used to it.

Of course, Watkins spins it like he's Greg Ellis, Jr. But Ratliff is just explaining the fact that he's got little experience as a 3-4 DE. Ellis was complaining about the Cowboys being set to cut him, the 3-4, playing DE, playing OLB, playing time, Anthony Spencer getting reps in training camp, etc.

YAKUZA

burmafrd

Reaction score
This is curious. Really surprised at this coming from the Rat. I think something else might be going on in his private life and he is just reacting to the instability of where he will be playing then realizing its because the Coaches want him on the field as much as possible.