DMN: Blog: Jay Ratliff's concerns

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Well didn't he come into the league as a DE and then got moved inside and now he's being moved back outside so I guess his frustration might be that he keeps getting moved about.

He'll be fine though and I think he'll really benefit from the move and wind up really liking it.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2167489 said:
I don't know what he's talking about, because he played LDE his first two years. He rotated in with Kenyon Coleman at LDE when Spears hurt his leg in his rookie training camp. Maybe he's talking about playing inside on nickel packages, which has has been doing since a rookie

Doesn't make a lot of sense, I agree. It's not like they are moving him out to end in the four man fronts.

However, I do think Parcells was prepping him as a potential NT early in his career.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
For once I'd like to hear someone say, "I'll do whatever the team needs to win....."

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
BlueStar22;2167741 said:
For once I'd like to hear someone say, "I'll do whatever the team needs to win....."

I think he's did that about 5 different times in his football career already.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
BlueStar22;2167741 said:
I'll get used to it."

I just got to get used to it and get over it."

That sounds pretty close.

Ellis would have never said this fellas... at least not before actually seeing game time at his new position.

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
During Coach Phillips presser yesterday, he mentioned something about Ratliff getting reps at DE and Ratliff getting reps at NT.

Is this something that we can expect during the season, and basically be Spears last chance to show the Cowboys that he can be valuable somewhere on the defensive line? Or is this one of those more experimental things teams do during training camp?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More Jay Ratliff

10:30 AM Thu, Jul 31, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

Don't be too hard on Jay Ratliff, the Cowboys' starting nose guard. Ratliff is being moved to defensive end, for now, to give the defensive line some different looks.

Marcus Spears has practiced some as the nose guard and Tank Johnson's emergence has been a real positive to the defensive line.

Ratliff is concerned about the move because he's switched positions for a long time. In his sophomore year at Auburn, Ratliff moved from tight end to defensive end.

Then his senior season he moved from end to tackle.

In the pros, he was drafted in the seventh round to play end.

Last season, he took over for an injured Jason Ferguson and made the Cowboys give him a long-term deal with his solid play at nose tackle.

Now the team is thinking of moving him again, so it's pretty understandable where he's coming from. But when you think about it, the Cowboys are pretty much better with a rotation.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2167795 said:
Video: Jay Ratliff Talks About His Move To DE

Thought I'd add a link so people can judge for themselves.

Thanks WG. It didn't sound to me like he was whining as much as he was a little frustrated. Nobody likes having to learn something new every year, just ask Carpenter. Sometimes it's nice to just get better at a job you already know. Again thanks WG. :bow:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
peplaw06;2167854 said:
Ellis would have never said this fellas...

If Jay asks for a commitment and starts pondering his career mortality and ability to earn more money because he is changing the position, then we should worry.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
More Jay Ratliff

10:30 AM Thu, Jul 31, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins

Don't be too hard on Jay Ratliff, the Cowboys' starting nose guard. Ratliff is being moved to defensive end, for now, to give the defensive line some different looks.

Marcus Spears has practiced some as the nose guard and Tank Johnson's emergence has been a real positive to the defensive line.

Ratliff is concerned about the move because he's switched positions for a long time. In his sophomore year at Auburn, Ratliff moved from tight end to defensive end.

Then his senior season he moved from end to tackle.

In the pros, he was drafted in the seventh round to play end.

Last season, he took over for an injured Jason Ferguson and made the Cowboys give him a long-term deal with his solid play at nose tackle.

Now the team is thinking of moving him again, so it's pretty understandable where he's coming from. But when you think about it, the Cowboys are pretty much better with a rotation.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jay Ratliff rightfully frustrated

8:00 AM Thu, Jul 31, 2008 | Permalink
Jean-Jacques Taylor E-mail News tips

Jay Ratliff is not thrilled about moving to end in training camp, especially after he asked the coaches about it a couple of days ago and they told him he'd be staying at nose tackle.

Ratliff, who changed positions three times at Auburn and already moved twice with the Cowboys, would like to stay at one position long enough to master it.

I can't blame him for that.

Calvin Watkins will have much more on this topic today.

You would've thought Wade Phillips would've focused on his communication skills after the Greg Ellis drama of the off-season, when they reduced his practice time without telling him about it.

It's easy to see why the Cowboys want Ratliff at end. He's their most athletic defensive end, which makes him a good fit for their attacking scheme. Plus, the Cowboys want their best players on the field and this will give Tank Johnson a chance to start at nose tackle.

It also means Marcus Spears' days as a starter are probably over and that you should expect him to move to another team when his contract expires at the end of next season. He hasn't been a bust, but he hasn't been the disruptive defensive lineman the Cowboys thought they were getting, when they made him a No.1 pick.

Comments (0) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | E-mail entry
The entry "Jay Ratliff rightfully frustrated" is tagged: Greg Ellis , Jay Ratliff , Marcus Spears , Tank Johnson , Wade Phillips

http://jacquestaylorblog.***BANNED-URL***/