DMN: Blog: Jerry Jones hasn't given 'one ounce of consideration' to firing W Phillips

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Jerry Jones hasn't given 'one ounce of consideration' to firing Wade Phillips

3:42 PM Thu, Nov 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

Jerry Jones has guaranteed that Wade Phillips will be the Cowboys' coach for the rest of this season. He can't envision a scenario in which Phillips won't be on the Cowboys' sideline next season.

"There is just absolutely no - I can tell tell you without any hesitation - thought in my mind about him not coaching the Dallas Cowboys in the future," Jerry said.

"Past this year. There's no thought. I haven't given that one ounce of consideration."

So Wade will definitely be back next season?

"Again, I haven't given it any consideration at all, and his contract is his contract," Jerry said. "When I look at what we've got a chance to do this year, we're all disappointed that we're not further down the road. But I'm just simply saying, I have not given it any consideration."

Well, Jerry, are you satisfied with the job Phillips has done this season? (Follow the jump for Jerry's lengthy answer.)

"I really don't want to be unfair to Wade. I'm disappointed that we haven't won more ball games and I think it's fair to say that's how you, at the end of the day for that position as the head coach, you say, 'Well is that the job being done?'

"What I'm hoping is that all of the positive things that Wade Phillips is about really does kick in in a way that gives him his due and gives him his credit. I thought that for whatever the reasons he didn't get the credit that he should have had last year. We all have a way of putting these names down on paper and saying, 'Boy that looks good and it ought to play good.'

"But performing is something else. I remember how little of real credit that I thought Barry Switzer got when he came in here and in two years won a Super Bowl. And yet he took a staff many had never coached with [Jimmy] Johnson - Ernie Zampese had never - but yet took that staff and came in and basically led a staff to a Super Bowl.

"What has that got to do with Wade? What's that got to do is sometimes these guys, even when they have success, win a Super Bowl or even have a year like we did last year, albeit we didn't get [a playoff win], sometimes they don't get the credit that I feel like they should get.

"By the same token, I probably don't get as sensitive about times like this with Wade or a coach as maybe our fans do. Maybe I should be more."

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
why do reporters ask these questions during the season, when the team's season is on the line?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2416660 said:
why do reporters ask these questions during the season, when the team's season is on the line?

Curious Minds????:)

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Jerry doesn't need to fire Wade, just demote him to defensive coordinator. If I was Wade, I would take it.... he certainly isn't going to get another head coaching opportunity.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Why would he?

This team turned in gutless performances of a Hall of Fame Coach as well.

Hopefully Jerry Jones understands that there are much bigger problems with the Dallas Cowboys than Wade Phillips.

Heck, one of those problems made be Jerry Jones himself. As a pretty vocal defender of Jerry Jones, week by week, it is getting harder and harder to defend the guy.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
What did they think Jerry was going to say? "Yes, in fact, if Wade doesn't lead us to the Superbowl that I'm firing him in the offseason."

Of course he said he hasn't thought about it or gave it consideration. That doesn't mean, for one second, that he hasn't already decided Wade's fate and just isn't going to be tacky and talk about it before the season is over.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Who would write something like this? An idiot? I guess so. I'm so sure Jerry hasn't thought about firing Wade. :rolleyes:

I know I have thought of 100 different ways that I would fire Wade if it were my team, most would probably make him cry, so I'm pretty sure it has crossed Jerry's mind.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2416699 said:
What did they think Jerry was going to say? "Yes, in fact, if Wade doesn't lead us to the Superbowl that I'm firing him in the offseason."

Of course he said he hasn't thought about it or gave it consideration. That doesn't mean, for one second, that he hasn't already decided Wade's fate and just isn't going to be tacky and talk about it before the season is over.

Exactamundo.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Big deal. He said the same thing about Switzer in 1997, Gailey in 99 and Campo in 02.

Jerry has never fired a coach mid season and he won't now.

Wait till the season's over before we even realistically discuss this

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2416699 said:

Why not? That is about what the Giants owner said last year about TC.
Not to mention JJ already hired his replacement. I tell my lead people all the time, I want this or you go out the door.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Of course he hasnt. Firing him during the season is a brain dead decision.

However.

There is no need to be talking about this stuff in his own pc.

But it fits right in with the way this team is run.

The superstars want to get rid of the tough disciplined coaches so jerry cottles them.

The head coach knows he is here because he allows players to do whatever they want so that is his philosophy, he is cottling them.

So why shouldnt the owner cottle the head coach, he has undermined him and cut his legs out already no harm in babying him.

I mean having a press conference for no reason where you declare such brilliant things as I will welcome jones back and the best one we will absolutely make the playoffs, so he might as well just continue with more nonsense.

I wish jerry would just go away from august till february. He has nothing to do with the game on the field yet he is always acting like he does.

Go finish your building and leave the stinking team alone.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
theebs;2416924 said:

However.

The superstars want to get rid of the tough disciplined coaches so jerry cottles them.

The head coach knows he is here because he allows players to do whatever they want so that is his philosophy, he is cottling them.

So why shouldnt the owner cottle the head coach, he has undermined him and cut his legs out already no harm in babying him.

I mean having a press conference for no reason where you declare such brilliant things as I will welcome jones back and the best one we will absolutely make the playoffs, so he might as well just continue with more nonsense.

I wish jerry would just go away from august till february. He has nothing to do with the game on the field yet he is always acting like he does.

He didn't say we would absolutely make the playoffs.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2416924 said:

However.

:clap2: well said Theebs. JUST GO AWAY JERRY!

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
theebs;2416924 said:

However.

Hater:lmao: 100% correct though.

MONT17

Reaction score
Jerry is the greatest owner in sports but as a GM u have to know every player on the 53 not just the STARS! Jerry is not that type of GM hence no backup players worth playing! Jerry doesn't care about the backup center he didn't even care about the backup QB until about a month ago! Someone should ask Jerry what's more important, Video board or Backup QB?

He is the greatest owner in sports, Worst GM in sports too!

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Rampage;2416937 said:
:clap2: well said Theebs. JUST GO AWAY JERRY!

Jerry went away for the most part during the Bill Parcells era...did not help.

I believe Jerry would be very far down on my list of things to do to fix the Cowboys list...

Jerry talks crap and always has, it may not be your cup of tea, but it shouldn't make the defense play stupid.

By Jerry cheerleading in the press it shouldn't make players committ stupid penalties.

and if the players are to be believed they don't see Jerry much at all except on game day when he comes to cheer them on.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
LOL don't believe what you hear, do you really expect him to come out and say publicly he's thinkin about firing Wade, especially if he cna't beat the Skins this weekend?
SERIOUSLY?
Did you expect him to say that?
Is he Al Davis who says I hate my head coach and he's definatley gonna get fired in the next week or two even if we win? LOL

Be carefull of what people HAVE TO SAY publicly, like I said do you SERIOUSLY expect Jerry to Say Wade's job is on the line Sunday and I've been thinking about firing him the past 3 weeks?
Come on people, use some common sense!