DMN Blog: Jerry Jones' seat on the Brad Johnson bandwagon isn't very comfortable

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones' seat on the Brad Johnson bandwagon isn't very comfortable

11:11 AM Fri, Oct 31, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Jerry Jones is "firmly" with Brad Johnson, but that doesn't mean the owner/GM thinks the 40-year-old backup quarterback has done a good job.
Jerry made that quite clear during his weekly visit with The Ticket's Norm Hitzges.

Jerry didn't come out and rip Johnson. He was just honest about the subpar QB play since Tony Romo fractured his finger, starting with an answer to a question about T.O.'s sorry stats.

"I think we're just not getting him the ball, period," Jerry said. "That's it, pure and simple. He was open many times last week. If we could have gotten him the ball, he was really open a lot and could have made a big difference."

Jerry tried to downplay Michael Irvin's accidental public admission that the owner called him to complain about the QB after Sunday's win over Tampa Bay, during which Johnson averaged an awful 3.7 yards per passing attempt. Jerry said it was simply a case of a couple pals discussing what they saw, not a sign that he wanted Johnson benched.

"We were going back and forth," Jerry said. "There's no question that we would have liked to have gotten the ball to our receivers more and balanced our offense a little bit. Just the normal thing, without having looked at any film and just having eyeballed the game like we all do, that was that kind of conversation. Not to be taken very seriously."

Hitzges tried to lob Jerry a softball at this point, asking if he thought Johnson's performance was better after watching the film.

"No," Jerry quickly answered. "No, it was not. But that's not piling on Brad. It was just like we saw."

But Jerry insisted that the Cowboys brass never seriously considered going with Brooks Bollinger against the Giants despite the fact that Wade Phillips hemmed and hawed on the issue Monday afternoon.

Sounds like Jerry and his coaching staff have little confidence in Johnson and none in Bollinger.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2386782 said:
"I think we're just not getting him the ball, period," Jerry said. "That's it, pure and simple. He was open many times last week. If we could have gotten him the ball, he was really open a lot and could have made a big difference."
If Jones would get off of Owens' jock, perhaps he could place emphasis on his entire team contributing to wins this season.

Yeah, yeah. Pipe dream.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;2386804 said:
I would wish Jerry would shut up but I'd waste a wish.
You know the whole "Wishing Upon A Star" bit? I've probably gone through a whole constellation or two. :( :)

lspain1

Reaction score
What a mess!:ralph:

Win or lose, our team looks like a complete disaster right now. Disarray runs rampant and we look like clowns. Who has confidence in anyone in a leadership position?

Today, I desperately wish Bill Parcells was still with us.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
DallasEast;2386797 said:
If Jones would get off of Owens' jock, perhaps he could place emphasis on his entire team contributing to wins this season.
:fact:

Jerry sounds like Deion here: "The Cowboys won, but I'm off the bandwagon because TO still didn't get the ball enough."

Okay, Jerry isn't as clueless as Deion. Sorry, Jerry. :eek::

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Go rewatch the game. TO was open many times, as was many others but Brad was so horribly inaccurate...horribly. I think many of you are in denial about Johnson. He has terrible pocket presense, many times he could have stepped up in the pocket to avoid the pressure...he simply has no clue. After rewatching the game i have to say that there were alot of short routes and alot of them were open. The game has passed this guy by as Irvin said. But fact that we have no real backup for a team this good is a tragic waste. But i do hope this weekend Brad can prove me to be an idiot.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;2386833 said:
Go rewatch the game. TO was open many times, as was many others but Brad was so horribly inaccurate...horribly. I think many of you are in denial about Johnson. He has terrible pocket presense, many times he could have stepped up in the pocket to avoid the pressure...he simply has no clue. After rewatching the game i have to say that there were alot of short routes and alot of them were open. The game has passed this guy by as Irvin said. But fact that we have no real backup for a team this good is a tragic waste. But i do hope this weekend Brad can prove me to be an idiot.
No..thats not it, its "Jerrys on T.O.s Jock." Not possibly we had T.O., RW or Crayton open on short routes taylor made to try to give B.J. some quick hitters down the field. Watch the game again...there are recievers open & BJ is just getting rid of it to not get hit or is WAY OFF on his throws....

links18

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2386782 said:
Jerry Jones' seat on the Brad Johnson bandwagon isn't very comfortable

11:11 AM Fri, Oct 31, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Jerry Jones is "firmly" with Brad Johnson, but that doesn't mean the owner/GM thinks the 40-year-old backup quarterback has done a good job.
Jerry made that quite clear during his weekly visit with The Ticket's Norm Hitzges.

Jerry didn't come out and rip Johnson. He was just honest about the subpar QB play since Tony Romo fractured his finger, starting with an answer to a question about T.O.'s sorry stats.

Jerry tried to downplay Michael Irvin's accidental public admission that the owner called him to complain about the QB after Sunday's win over Tampa Bay, during which Johnson averaged an awful 3.7 yards per passing attempt. Jerry said it was simply a case of a couple pals discussing what they saw, not a sign that he wanted Johnson benched.

"We were going back and forth," Jerry said. "There's no question that we would have liked to have gotten the ball to our receivers more and balanced our offense a little bit. Just the normal thing, without having looked at any film and just having eyeballed the game like we all do, that was that kind of conversation. Not to be taken very seriously."

Hitzges tried to lob Jerry a softball at this point, asking if he thought Johnson's performance was better after watching the film.

"No," Jerry quickly answered. "No, it was not. But that's not piling on Brad. It was just like we saw."

But Jerry insisted that the Cowboys brass never seriously considered going with Brooks Bollinger against the Giants despite the fact that Wade Phillips hemmed and hawed on the issue Monday afternoon.

Sounds like Jerry and his coaching staff have little confidence in Johnson and none in Bollinger.

Wow, if Bollinger is worse than Johnson, then why is he here? :eek:

followthestar

Reaction score
Not too many of us failed to see the lack of a solid backup QB was a weakness of this team. Now, unfortunately, we're bearing that burden. Let's just hope Jerry sees the light and addresses that this offseason. Getting some good fresh talent for the OL wouldn't be a bad idea either Jerry, in case you're listening...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DallasEast;2386797 said:

Yeah, yeah. Pipe dream.
If you only knew how open TO was last week. It was extremely frustrating to watch. And that's not because I want TO to have great stats -- it's because I want the team to move the ball and score points. Has nothing to do with placating TO.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I keep asking this question and no one answers me.

Johnson made all the throws in preseason. What has or is happening that is making Johnson look like crap?

Please hold on the he sucks or the game has passed him by stuff. Thanks.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coakleys Dad;2386843 said:
No..thats not it, its "Jerrys on T.O.s Jock." Not possibly we had T.O., RW or Crayton open on short routes taylor made to try to give B.J. some quick hitters down the field. Watch the game again...there are recievers open & BJ is just getting rid of it to not get hit or is WAY OFF on his throws....
:rolleyes:

Terrell Owens isn't the sum total of the Dallas Cowboys. As general manager and owner of the Dallas Cowboys, he can talk about more than Terrell Owens.
theogt;2386956 said:
If you only knew how open TO was last week. It was extremely frustrating to watch. And that's not because I want TO to have great stats -- it's because I want the team to move the ball and score points. Has nothing to do with placating TO.
I watched the game as you did. Yes, Owens was open. Yes, Johnson should have gotten the ball to him. However, let's not stop at only Owens.

The offensive line should have played better and special teams should pick up the slack with the absence of Felix Jones and Mat McBriar. Garrett should have adjusted more to Johnson's strengths during the game, for example, shortened Owens routes more and thrown underneath to capitalize on Owens ability to break some runs after the catch. That's just some things which could be commented by Jones and some fans alike, but no, it's about Owens not getting the ball and winning the game on his own.

I apologize for the rant, but the failure of this offense to get back on track is not solely due to the exclusion of Owens not getting the ball more.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DallasEast;2387039 said:
:rolleyes:

Terrell Owens isn't the sum total of the Dallas Cowboys. As general manager and owner of the Dallas Cowboys, he can talk about more than Terrell Owens.I watched the game as you did. Yes, Owens was open. Yes, Johnson should have gotten the ball to him. However, let's not stop at only Owens.

The offensive line should have played better and special teams should pick up the slack with the absence of Felix Jones and Mat McBriar. Garrett should have adjusted more to Johnson's strengths during the game, for example, shortened Owens routes more and thrown underneath to capitalize on Owens ability to break some runs after the catch. That's just some things which could be commented by Jones and some fans alike, but no, it's about Owens not getting the ball and winning the game on his own.

I apologize for the rant, but the failure of this offense to get back on track is not solely due to the exclusion of Owens not getting the ball more.
I went to game. You can't see the same things on camera. It was just absurd how receivers were running around freely. One of the most frustrating things I've ever seen. That's what Jerry was PO'd about. It has nothing to do with Owens.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;2387045 said:
I went to game. You can't see the same things on camera. It was just absurd how receivers were running around freely. One of the most frustrating things I've ever seen.

Agreed.

I think it is about brad not seeing the field well though, not his poor arm.

but then you throw in his poor arm and it makes a bad situation.

I still think bollinger is a disaster waiting to happen though and shouldnt start this game.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I love the fact that TO is media savvy enough to realize that the mic was still on because that could have been disastrous!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
theebs;2387050 said:
I still think bollinger is a disaster waiting to happen though and shouldnt start this game.
Maybe, but his career numbers are better than what Brad's putting up in this offense, and Bollinger's never had this much talent to work with, so it's reasonable to assum he'd put up better numbers here than in his career.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2387045 said:
I went to game. You can't see the same things on camera. It was just absurd how receivers were running around freely. One of the most frustrating things I've ever seen. That's what Jerry was PO'd about. It has nothing to do with Owens.
Receivers, receivers, receivers.

Receiver plural.

That's all I'm saying. Jones should be expressing his disgust about Johnson not getting the ball to his receivers more often. He can talk about Owens and his teammates on offense.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DallasEast;2387059 said:
Receivers, receivers, receivers.

Receiver plural.

That's all I'm saying. Jones should be expressing his disgust about Johnson not getting the ball to his receivers more often. He can talk about Owens and his teammates on offense.
Dude, he was asked a question about TO.