DMN Blog: Julius Jones: I didn't get the shaft in Dallas

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3:09 PM Tue, Nov 25, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

Even though he didn't play much on Sunday, Julius Jones did not back out of a conference call with Dallas reporters today. And you can imagine the No. 1 topic on our minds: do you feel you got the shaft last season prior to the Giants game and with this organization overall?

"Nah, I think they went in a direction they wanted to go," Jones said. "That's it, man. That's part of the business. I'm rolling with it. I'm happy here. Cowboys went in a different direction and so did I."

Jones wasn't shy about exploring what happened last season while splitting the workload with Marion Barber. The former second-round draft pick knew as the season wore on that he wanted to leave Dallas. He probably thought the feeling was mutual.

Still, it was an odd split for a guy who ranks eighth in franchise history with 3,484 yards from 2004 to 2007. Jones wasn't offered a new contract after the season. He looked into Detroit and Tennessee before finally signing with Seattle.

"I knew he was going to be successful," Jones said of Barber. "After the playoff game last year, I went up to him and said, 'This is your team now.' You know what to do, you've been performing well, and that's it."

Comments (3) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
nice words from JJ but I still hope we SMASH him on Thanksgiving.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
he will get boo'd thursday like some kind of villain. Which I will never understand.

then pacman and owens get standing ovations during warmups.

Its hard having my mentality in a front running city. It drives me crazy, but it is what it is.

But take my word for it, Julius will get boo'd all day thursday.

Temo

Reaction score
theebs;2443019 said:
he will get boo'd thursday like some kind of villain. Which I will never understand.

Its hard having my mentality in a front running city. It drives me crazy, but it is what it is.

I know, it's dumb. I liked Julius.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;2443019 said:

he should be boo'd SOFTY! If you don't wear the Star than you are the enemy. Julius is the enemy now! hey did you ever make a julius highlight?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theebs;2443019 said:

I'll be at the game and I won't boo Julius. I think Dallas made the right call in letting him leave but I don't think he is a bad guy. I wish him the best of luck just not Thursday

Nav22

Reaction score
"After the playoff game last year, I went up to him and said, 'This is your team now.' You know what to do, you've been performing well, and that's it."
Should've told Marion that after week 1.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nav22;2443035 said:
Should've told Marion that after week 1.

And have you guys pile on him for being a quitter?

Nav22

Reaction score
And have you guys pile on him for being a quitter?
He deserves all the piling on he gets.

Guy had the nerve to blame Parcells for his own deficiencies and has never ONCE taken responsibility for his struggles in Dallas. It's always someone else's fault when it comes to Julius.

I'm sorry that his obligatory peace offering the week leading up to the game has you fooled. He's a punk and I can't wait for us to stomp him out Thursday afternoon.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Julius Doesn't Take the Bait

It is no secret that by the time Julius Jones left the Cowboys he was sick of the team. He wanted to be The Man, and it didn't take long into last season before he realized he was never going to be as good as he thought as long as Marion Barber was "backing" him up.

He was on the media conference call today, and there were several attempts to get him to admit to some of his feelings towards his former team.

(Guilty as charged)

Jones said running backs coach Skip Peete who told him that he was going to be on the bench for the Cowboys' playoff game against the Giants last January. But it was even before then JJ realized his time in Dallas was done.

"There was a point when I knew and it was time for me to move on," Jones said.

He added, "Obviously I wanted to play in the playoff game, that was the most important game we've had there in a long time and I didn't even play. Of course I was a little salty about that. It's human nature. Everybody wants to play in big games."

JJ told Marion Barber after that game that it was his team now and that he was ready.

"Do I think I got the shaft? No," Jones said "I think they went the direction they wanted to go. That's it. That's part of the business and I'm rolling with it. I'm happy here. The Cowboys went in a different direction and so did I."

It's quite a different direction than the one he started on.

After that rookie year where Jones rushed for more than 100 yards three times in the final two months of the season, he never really seemed to find his place with the Cowboys.

Jones signed as a free agent with the Seahawks in the offseason. But he's learning that despite leaving Dallas the grass is sometimes the same shade everywhere else. Despite some good games early, his playing time and carries have slowly dwindled this season.

Last week was the worst. He carried the ball just twice, a season-low.
That's one of those, the more things change ...

- Mac Engel

Posted at 04:37 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He could have been bitter but chose the high road.

Smell that, Mr. Ellis, et. al !!!!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nav22;2443114 said:
He deserves all the piling on he gets.

Guy had the nerve to blame Parcells for his own deficiencies and has never ONCE taken responsibility for his struggles in Dallas. It's always someone else's fault when it comes to Julius.

I'm sorry that his obligatory peace offering the week leading up to the game has you fooled. He's a punk and I can't wait for us to stomp him out Thursday afternoon.

Second round picks who perform as well as he did during parts of his career don't usually need to take much blame for not being better. What's that you say? Spinning the reasons for declining performance in a contract year? Frustration with being benched heading into FA? Showing class and perspective when you come back to the city? You convinced me, and now I feel embarrassed for having been so easily fooled. Off with his head!

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
why shouldnt they boo him? hes not on the cowboys anymore. theres certain cases where i'm all against it but just with certain players who were real cowboys and moved to a diff team. players like: (emmitt, irvin, aikman, dorsett etc.) i know not all of em went to diff. teams i'm juss setting an example of players YOU DONT BOO'.

JONES was nuthing here in dallas.....hes now an enemy.

Nav22

Reaction score
Second round picks who perform as well as he did during parts of his career don't usually need to take much blame for not being better.
Yeah, it's much better to throw your ex-coach and ex-team under the bus. Silly me.
Spinning the reasons for declining performance in a contract year?
Here's a thought.

Instead of "spinning the reasons", why couldn't he just keep his mouth shut and prove his worth during his contract year?

That's right, it's because he simply wasn't good enough to do so. But again, that's not his fault, remember?
Showing class and perspective when you come back to the city?
Very classy to throw others under the bus when you're struggling. Shows great perspective, too.

He's already had a sideline meltdown with the Seahawks this year. It's only a matter of time before he tosses Holmgren under the bus, too.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
k0wb0y;2443192 said:
why shouldnt they boo him? hes not on the cowboys anymore. theres certain cases where i'm all against it but just with certain players who were real cowboys and moved to a diff team. players like: (emmitt, irvin, aikman, dorsett etc.) i know not all of em went to diff. teams i'm juss setting an example of players YOU DONT BOO'.

JONES was nuthing here in dallas.....hes now an enemy.

He got booed coming out to stretch while in Dallas. Classy Cowboy fans.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
theebs;2443019 said:

What did one lineman say to another lineman?

I heard he will get boo'd because he spent too much time in Uranus.

:laugh2:

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
cowboyeric8;2443216 said:
He got booed coming out to stretch while in Dallas. Classy Cowboy fans.

i aint saying we classy. if he got booed back then...they why the big deal now?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Nice things to say to a teammate and not surprising. He's a classy guy. Most here wish him best except against us.