WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4:01 PM Tue, Aug 05, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

From the Associated Press:

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- The man accused of shooting three people outside a strip club after a melee involving NFL player Adam "Pacman" Jones says he's not guilty of attempted murder and other charges.
Arvin Kenti Edwards' lawyer on Tuesday accused Jones of falsely identifying Edwards as the shooter in the February 2007 shooting outside the Minxx strip club during NBA All-Star weekend in Las Vegas.

Lawyer Jeffrey Segal says Jones wanted to get reinstated to the NFL and waited months before making a deal to get felony charges against him reduced to a misdemeanor.

Segal says Jones "fabricated" a story naming the 29-year-old Edwards as the shooter.

The judge set trial for March 2, and set bail at $2 million.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
His story has changed. He previously said AJ gave him the "whatever" go ahead.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hostile;2176735 said:
Did he? I would think that his lawyer would never let him go there because it would be admission of guilt on his part and actually help the prosecution with its case.

The problem with his current defense is that many people claim they saw the shooter and would be able to identify him. His girlfriend admitted picking up his money order from the extortion and he also sent a pic of himself to Pacman when he was making the extortion attempt according to the police report.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2176740 said:
Did he? I would think that his lawyer would never let him go there because it would be admission of guilt on his part and actually help the prosecution with its case.

The problem with his current defense is that many people claim they saw the shooter and would be able to identify him. His girlfriend admitted picking up his money order from the extortion and he also sent a pic of himself to Pacman when he was making the extortion attempt according to the police report.
Yeah he said he told AJ he would "take care of it" and AJ told him "whatever" and that was his signal that he had been paid for a hit.

We're not dealing with Einstein here.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Hostile;2176735 said:

Yeah, it's funny how those looking at life in prison tend to make up stories to suit their needs!

Man, I spent a night in jail once (outstanding dog-off-leash ticket, I'm a criminal, I know), I can't imagine what looking at life behind bars would feel like and never want to.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
I hate to say it but get the feeling AJ will meet his demise by unnatural causes. Maybe not today or tomorrow but there are some shady individuals that will probably track him down some day...

:(

cowboys2233

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2176740 said:

The only thing I wonder about is why Pacman's friend actually paid this random guy the extortion money? Why would Pacman or his friend get involved in any way, shape or form if there was nothing to it? That's the only thing that continues to puzzle me.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2176759 said:
The only thing I wonder about is why Pacman's friend actually paid this random guy the extortion money? Why would Pacman or his friend get involved in any way, shape or form if there was nothing to it? That's the only thing that continues to puzzle me.
They threatened to hurt his family(girlfriend, daughter), there was even a local guy afterwards that was a known murderer that came up to Adam and told him that he did the right thing by paying.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2176773 said:
They threatened to hurt his family(girlfriend, daughter), there was even a local guy afterwards that was a known murderer that came up to Adam and told him that he did the right thing by paying.

Ah, that would do it! Whose to say this guy doesn't have friends out on the streets waiting to exact revenge? Man, not a good way to live.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yeah, thats why Richmond is right that he may have to watch his back. He does have bodyguards at times.

Angus

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2176759 said:

Fear!! It could have been fear that threats would be carried out.

:eek:

Bizwah

Reaction score
This is why I think Goodell is waiting so long to reinstate Jones. Everytime his name comes up in this, it reminds folks what happened.

This is going to take a bit.....We'll see...I wouldn't be surprised to see Pac-Man miss the first three or four games.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Bizwah;2176796 said:
This is why I think Goodell is waiting so long to reinstate Jones. Everytime his name comes up in this, it reminds folks what happened.

This is going to take a bit.....We'll see...I wouldn't be surprised to see Pac-Man miss the first three or four games.

I wouldn't be surprised either...

..I'd be totally shocked.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Bizwah;2176796 said:

I don't think Goodell could justify that.

Bizwah

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2176798 said:
I wouldn't be surprised either...

..I'd be totally shocked.

Hey, he's done everything right so far.

But this trial may get ugly. If Adam gets drug in the mud....which is going to happen, then Goodell will think it makes his league look bad.

He won't want that.

Did it ever come from Goodell's mouth that AJ would be reinstated by the first game if he ever kept his nose clean? or....Was that something the media/fans/Cowboy management just assumed?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Bizwah;2176805 said:
Hey, he's done everything right so far.

But this trial may get ugly. If Adam gets drug in the mud....which is going to happen, then Goodell will think it makes his league look bad.

He won't want that.

Did it ever come from Goodell's mouth that AJ would be reinstated by the first game if he ever kept his nose clean? or....Was that something the media/fans/Cowboy management just assumed?
He was given a 1yr suspension I believe.

Bizwah

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2176811 said:
He was given a 1yr suspension I believe.

Really?

Because I thought it was an indefinite suspension.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Googled this
close window
This week NFL commissioner Roger Gadell announced that Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam Pacman Jones will not be allowed to return to the NFL this season. He will be required to serve out his entire suspension, 1 NFL season. I would like to offer my opinion that the Titans should not really be concerned about not having Jones pack. Considering where they are at this point in the season, they may be better off without him.

Here's a better one
NEW YORK - Adam "Pacman" Jones dropped his appeal of a yearlong suspension Tuesday, pledging to repair an image that made the Tennessee Titans cornerback the poster child for NFL misconduct.

His decision came after a third meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell.

"I understand my responsibilities to my teammates, the Titans and my fans and I am committed to turning my life around and being a positive member of the NFL," Jones said in a statement issued by newly hired agent Michael Huyghue.

Jones was suspended after 10 encounters with police and five arrests since he was drafted in 2005.

"Last week, I asked for an opportunity to meet privately with commissioner Goodell," Jones said. "I met with him earlier today to tell him about the steps I have taken to change my life since being suspended by the NFL. I accept the discipline that's been imposed on me and I am withdrawing my appeal."

Neither the NFL nor the Titans commented.

Still pending is a case in Las Vegas involving a fight and shooting at a strip club during the NBA All-Star weekend that left one person paralyzed.

The outcome of that case could determine whether the suspension is reduced from 16 games to 10 games. That could happen if Jones adheres to the conditions set by Goodell and is not arrested again. If he misses the entire season, the suspension will cost him his salary of nearly $1.3 million.

Lt. George Castro in Las Vegas said police still have not connected what happened inside the strip club and the shooting that took place outside. No new suspects have been identified and police are not seeking new charges based on new information developed during the three months since District Attorney David Roger first declined to prosecute, Castro said.

Until now, Jones had been represented primarily in his dealings with the league by his lawyer, Manny Arora. After he was suspended by Goodell on April 10, Arora filed an appeal on Jones' behalf.

But this time, Jones was accompanied by Huyghue, who was his agent when he was drafted sixth overall in 2005 and is a former league office employee and former senior vice president of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Earlier this year, the players' union listed Jones as being without an agent, although Arora said Huyghue had been involved in case from the start.

Arora said he would have been at Tuesday's meeting, but was tied up with criminal cases. He emphasized that he remains Jones' lawyer, but that Huyghue's knowledge of the NFL was important in dealing with Goodell and other league officials.

Huyghue said Jones intended to keep working out and would go back to school, taking courses online from West Virginia University, where he played.

Jones' suspension was the most severe of three handed down this spring by Goodell as part of the commissioner's crackdown on player misbehavior during a year featuring the arrest of nine Cincinnati Bengals.

Tank Johnson of Chicago and Chris Henry of Cincinnati each got eight games. Johnson served two months in jail for violating probation on a gun charge. Henry, Jones' teammate at West Virginia, was arrested four times in 14 months. Henry served a two-game suspension last season.

Last week, the Titans took steps to fill Jones' vacancy by signing Kelly Herndon, a former starter at cornerback for Denver and Seattle.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Bizwah;2176814 said:
Really?

Because I thought it was an indefinite suspension.

He was suspended for the season, and then the commissioner would then review the case and if he felt that Adam met all the criteria for reinstatement, Adam would be reinstated to the league.

In his list of criteria no where did it specify the "Las Vegas trial not dragging your name through the mud"

goodell can't prevent reinstatment because Adam's case is bringing back memories of the shooting, that would have nothing to do with Adam now. He was suspended for a year for that event, and you can't continue to punish a guy just because someone is reminiding you of it.